Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

Postby zimbar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:39 am

Hi Dave,
I'm new to the group and stumbled upon your Atma Travelear post here. EXTREMELY nice work! I noticed that you will be working on making plans for this camper and hope to have them ready by winter.....will those plans also include the CNC computer files? I'd love to build this and know of a fella with a large CNC machine.

Thanks very much!
Patrick Rutherford
zimbar
Donating Member

Postby Cneaves » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Dave

I have been reading through this post multiple times and I am just amazed. I have a couple of questions. I am about the same height as you @ 6' 2". can you sit up straight trailer. Also what is the overall height of the trailer at it's highest point? Thanks for all the inspiration. I will be copying a few of the details ;) (or all). I am debating on a steel square skeleton that I could tie into if I would like to haul kayaks on top of it. Thanks again for all the wonderful drawing and help
Cneaves
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DigitalElise » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi Dave,

Let me just say that I love the look of your build.

I was wondering if you had any idea of the weight of your Atma?

Nice work! I would also be very interested in seeing the plans once you have them complete.

Cheers
Elle
DigitalElise
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi Everyone, so sorry about not getting back on the board for a while; it's been pretty crazy around here.

zimbar wrote:Hi Dave,
I'm new to the group and stumbled upon your Atma Travelear post here. EXTREMELY nice work! I noticed that you will be working on making plans for this camper and hope to have them ready by winter.....will those plans also include the CNC computer files? I'd love to build this and know of a fella with a large CNC machine.

Thanks very much!
Patrick Rutherford

Thank you and sorry Patrick, the plans are still not complete. I'll likely include the CNC profile and such that I used.

Cneaves wrote:Hi Dave

I have been reading through this post multiple times and I am just amazed. I have a couple of questions. I am about the same height as you @ 6' 2". can you sit up straight trailer. Also what is the overall height of the trailer at it's highest point? Thanks for all the inspiration. I will be copying a few of the details ;) (or all). I am debating on a steel square skeleton that I could tie into if I would like to haul kayaks on top of it. Thanks again for all the wonderful drawing and help

Hi Cneaves, I'm glad to help. When I sit against the forward cabinets my head misses the headliner by less than an inch with a 5" mattress. The AT is just shy of 63" tall with the Fantastic vent/fan poking up another 5".

DigitalElise wrote:Hi Dave,

Let me just say that I love the look of your build.

I was wondering if you had any idea of the weight of your Atma?

Nice work! I would also be very interested in seeing the plans once you have them complete.

Cheers
Elle

Hi Elle, thank you very much for your kind complements. The AT weighs in around 1,400 lbs dry. I'll be letting everyone know when the plans are complete here on the forum.

All the Best to everyone,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby vegask » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Love the build, I will keep an eye out for you this summer. Hoping to have mine done in time for May/June camping in Tahoe.
vegask
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DMcCam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:41 am

vegask wrote:Love the build, I will keep an eye out for you this summer. Hoping to have mine done in time for May/June camping in Tahoe.

Howdy vegask, You're welcome to come by anytime to check the AT out. I'm in the old Northwest.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby martinpeat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:06 am

Hi Dave, What electrical connection did you use between the hatch and galley? Likewise connecting wiring running through the roof to the tongue box? Is a spare wheel mounted underneath?

Thanks,
Martin
martinpeat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 pm

martinpeat wrote:Hi Dave, What electrical connection did you use between the hatch and galley? Likewise connecting wiring running through the roof to the tongue box? Is a spare wheel mounted underneath?

Thanks,
Martin

Hi Martin,

I used a quick disconnect 7-pin connector for the hatch/galley and ran all the electrical through a couple of matching holes into the tongue box. I then sealed the hole with RV calking. The spare is mounted under the galley.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Dave
Are you guys coming back to Shasta this year!
We would love to see you there again.
Share some stories about the past 3 seasons on Teardrop Camping in our creations.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby martinpeat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks Dave for your reply. The Atma has a great shape - would you have a vector or cad file of the profile?

How are you finding the tongue weight & axle location in comparison to what you'd deigned for?

cheers,
Martin
martinpeat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby castles » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:15 am

DMcCam. garry castles here,im building a teardrop trailer and love your design.im wondering how far away are your plans and what do they cost..i live in the central highlands of tasmania australia and i think it would be a great winter project...cheers
castles
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:46 am

Gary.. be happy to have a
yack about the pros and cons of designs and builds if you want some one whos had a go down under.
Im no expert at all but ive built one from start to finish except the adition of a subfloor and intermediate material and labor ive completed bot sections.
If im any use to you happy to be of aßistance
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby zimbar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi Dave,
Just wanted to pop in here and see how your plans for the Atma teardrop are progressing!

I know there are quite a few of us here that are interested in duplicating your build! I'm itching to get started on my very on copy. :twisted:

Thanks and hope to see the plans soon.

Patrick

DMcCam wrote:
eagle351 wrote:Can you provide any information regarding the availability of plans for the Atma Trailer?

Hi Mike,

I've got the plans at about 60% done at this time. It looks like finishing them will be a winter project at this point.

All the Best,

Dave
zimbar
Donating Member

Postby Curryfire » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:21 am

Hi Dave,

Awesome build! I had a few questions for you. How did you attach your inside cabinets to the walls? Did you glue and screw them in place from the outsize? After the glue dried, did you take out the screws and then fill it in? I was thinking about adding a dado to my inside wall to set the cabinet pieces and wanted to get your advise. Also, on the screws that you used to attach your walls to the spars and the floor, did you leave those in or did you remove them after the glue dried and then fill the holes?

Thanks,

Annu
Curryfire
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eLink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 am

Sure wish I could see the images in this thread.
eLink
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals