What's the trick to using a coupon?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Talia62 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:59 am

I've been watching HF coupons for over a year now, and all of the 20% off coupons specifically exclude trailers. And yet, I see many people on this board claiming that they bought the trailer when it was on sale, and used the coupon on top of it to come away with a really good deal. What gives?
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Re: What's the trick to using a coupon?

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:17 am

Not sure which coupon you're using (or looking at)?? I 'pulled up' a number of HF 20% off coupons from the Internet (& looked at a couple of sales flyers I have) & none of them specifically exclude trailers ( a number of other items, yes). I haven't bought any large items from HF lately but when I built my TD in 2006 I bought the 1800# trailer kit in January that year, on sale for $299, & with the 20% off coupon I was out the door for just over $250 including tax. Things may have changed since but I haven't seen it... :thinking:
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Talia62 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:03 pm

I get their emailed flyers and coupons every week. If you look at the fine print on the 20% off coupons in their flyers, they list trailers as excluded. For instance, go to the one they have at http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html and you can see it very clearly lists trailers in the fine print.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 pm

HF may have simply changed what they permit coupon use for.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:26 am

I haven't looked closely at the coupons for a few years either. Take a look at the back of a Popular Science, Mother Earth, or other magazine. I believe the HF coupons in those type of magazines don't have restrictions.

Or if you happen to live by a HF store, take the coupon with restrictions and ask if they'll apply it to a trailer. The HF near me often allows the % off coupons to apply to merchandise on sale when typically those items are excluded.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Trevor57 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:52 am

It looks like they must have changed the coupon. I have a print coupon, and an online one, and they both exclude trailers. I know i used one last april to buy a trailer though. You should go in and see if they will give you a discount anyway.
Trevor57
Teardrop Builder

Postby chrisharline » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:45 pm

There is a 25% off coupon today for Harbor Freight. It specifically excludes trailers but I tried it online and it worked. I called the store and they agreed that it worked so I just picked up part number 62647 for 25% off. It's always worth a call!

http://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/ ... 042516.pdf
chrisharline
Teardrop Inspector

Postby thesaltydog24 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Yes the % off coupon does work on trailers. Some stores might not allow it to be used because it is excluded, however a workaround is to buy the trailer and another item like zip ties for example. When you purchase the trailer and zip ties the % off coupon will automatically apply to the trailer because it is the highest priced item. Kinda odd sounding but going up with a trailer ticket and a % off coupon they might not scan the coupon because it's not suppose to be used with trailers. If you have another item they might not question what the % off coupon is intended for.
And for heavens sake don't go into a store demanding a coupon. It's not that they might not have any, it's just extremely rude. Coupons can be found all over, online, newspapers, magazines, in the mail if your signed up for their catalog. Sorry it's my biggest pet peeve. I try to help customers the best I can, but when they start demanding that I give them a coupon or discount, I tell them no. Ok rant over lol :lol:
thesaltydog24
Teardrop Inspector

Postby antalog » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Just called 2 local stores here in Portland and they both told me trailers are excluded from coupons. It's printed on their 25% off 4th of July coupons as well. One store employee told me it's a permanent decision.
:thinking:

Still looking for a successful work-around.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 pm

At my store the register even won't accept it. All employees know that they are excluded
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby thesaltydog24 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:01 am

It seems as if an update has been pushed through the system at HF that excludes trailers now. But get to know an employee, because a few times throughout the year the company will send its employees 5 of the 25% off friends and family coupons for the entire order. Now this coupon differs from other 25% off coupons even the recent 25% off friends and family that went out in emails. This coupon the employee has to go in and sign up to 5 people for the coupon. This coupon will work on all excluded items that are hit by the other % off coupon, like trailers, tool boxes, engines, generators and the growing list of other items and it's good for the entire order not just one item. The down side of it is, it's random when the company does this, and the coupon is only good for a certain few days. So if your not in a rush and have time to wait then this might be an option, however you have to know an employee good enough to have them sign you up. I'll try to announce the next event when I find out. It could be next month or in five months, the last ones were at Christmas and right after the June parking lot sale. So it most likely will be a few more months, but you never know.
thesaltydog24
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets