Wheel Bearings

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Wheel Bearings

Postby Kaz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm

So my trailers only 1 season old with about 800 miles on it. I outfitted the axle with bearing buddies. Should I worry about repacking the wheel bearings for this season or is it not necessary? Is it overkill to carry a spare hub and bearings? :roll:
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Re: Wheel Bearings

Postby Jdw2717 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:10 pm

I repack mine every season especially if we plan any long trips. I also carry a spare tire and one of the hub sets with bearings and seals that are pre-greased from Northern Tool. Remember that when something fails, it will usually fail at the worst possible time at the worst possible place. At least it seams that way some times. I feel that I would rather repack the bearings in the garage at a no pressure pace then be on the side of some narrow road having to do it quickly and in a dangerous place.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Bearing Buddies are made for boat trailers. The hub is warm from towing a boat on the highway, now the trailer hubs are backed into cold water, the Bearing Buddy is spring loaded so no water can be sucked in from negative pressure. I'm not saying Bearing Buddies aren't nice but they are not made for greasing bearings. A hub needs pulled and bearings greased to be sure rthey have grease. You may find that bearings aren't really greased when the hubs were originally assembled.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Bearing Buddies are made for boat trailers. The hub is warm from towing a boat on the highway, now the trailer hubs are backed into cold water, the Bearing Buddy is spring loaded so no water can be sucked in from negative pressure. I'm not saying Bearing Buddies aren't nice but they are not made for greasing bearings. A hub needs pulled and bearings greased to be sure rthey have grease. You may find that bearings aren't really greased when the hubs were originally assembled.

T

Straight from the Bearing Buddy web site
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby les45 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:56 am

Jdw2717 wrote:I repack mine every season especially if we plan any long trips. I also carry a spare tire and one of the hub sets with bearings and seals that are pre-greased from Northern Tool. Remember that when something fails, it will usually fail at the worst possible time at the worst possible place. At least it seams that way some times. I feel that I would rather repack the bearings in the garage at a no pressure pace then be on the side of some narrow road having to do it quickly and in a dangerous place.

+1!!! It's called Murphy's Law (if anything bad can happen, it will, and at the most inopportune time). I always carry a complete spare hub assembly for the same reason. I'm not one who thinks the entire hub cavity has to be filled with grease so I make sure that there is ample grease in and around each bearing assembly. Anyone buying a Chinese trailer like the HF or NT should clean and pack with fresh grease before the first use. They come with a preservative that most people do not consider adequate as high temp grease. But you also have to inspect the name brand axles like Dexter before first use. I recently bought a new Dexter axle and (to me) it did not appear to have enough grease. It was only greased directly over the roller bearings with little or none on the sides of the bearings and races. I re-pack about once a year regardless of the amount of use. I think Bearing Buddies and similar caps that use grease fittings are a waste except on boat trailers.
les45
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:44 am

Too much grease is a problem http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28664/dangers-of-overgreasing Overgreasing can lead to high operating temperatures and collapsed seals.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 am

If you read the history and mission statement on the Bearing Buddy site you see they are designed for boat trailers. I was a service manager at a marina in 1975 so I dealt with plenty of boat trailers. I did not know that when I first saw the Bearing Buddy it was a new invention.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets