Wiring is Scary! 1st time TT Wiring questions.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Wiring is Scary! 1st time TT Wiring questions.

Postby m.colley » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Boreal wrote:
m.colley wrote:Alot of people including myself swear by the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 for a combo converter/charger and power distribution box. It makes the wiring of these little trailers pretty foolproof but is overkill on some designs, depending on your needs.

Alright, Martin, your forbearance please.

Here's the unit (I think) you're referring to.

What exactly does this do (and here's where I tread on very very thin ice as regards DC wiring)?

Here's what I think I need:
  • hook up to my batteries (two deep cycles in parallel)
  • keep my batteries from being worn down to zero volts?
  • provide DC circuit protection
  • master cut off switch
  • allow (with the proper 9 pin connection) for charging by my car's alternator while moving
  • an AC outlet or two (GFI protected, of course)

Will this be the only major piece of gadgetry that I need? The price is fine, even if it is a bit overkill for my eight or ten DC circuits.

Yes your link is to the unit I spoke of. Be careful though when buying from some sources, there are quite a few counterfeits out there, especially on Ebay and Amazon. Make sure your buying from a authorized supplier.
The PD4045 will fulfill your list with one exception, the master cut off switch. With a hook-up to shore power or a generator it will keep your batteries charged correctly, and with the appropriate solar equipment you can charge your batteries from a solar panel, it will provide act as both a AC & DC distribution panel, and with the needed transfer switch or relays you can charge your batteries from your tow vehicle while driving.

I like it mainly because it eases the electrical installation for the average person. It supplies the proper type battery charger to keep your batteries in shape, and it converts AC voltage into DC voltage to use for your LED lights and DC based appliances all in one neat little package. Yes for some installations it is overkill because not everyone need the number of circuits it offers, some builders use a simple DC fuse block, a battery charger and a small 30-60A household type breaker box from your DIY store wired to a multi outlet type power strip and have no issues. For me I like the neat little package..

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:45 pm

And the PD4045 has an internal connection for a Master disconnect switch. I wired mine to a big red marine-style disconnect switch.

I installed a cheaper WFCO8735 converter when I got my teardrop. It lasted one season and then failed. I had it repaired under warranty. It failed again on the very next trip. I replaced it with a PD4045 and have not regretted it across five busy seasons of camping.

I highly recommend the PD.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:32 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:I installed a cheaper WFCO8735 converter when I got my teardrop. It lasted one season and then failed. I had it repaired under warranty. It failed again on the very next trip. I replaced it with a PD4045 and have not regretted it across five busy seasons of camping.

I highly recommend the PD.

<Chas>

That's one of the main reasons I went with the PD4045. I've heard very few if any complaints. Knowing about the internal connection for the master off switch makes it just that more valuable.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Boreal » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:49 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:And the PD4045 has an internal connection for a Master disconnect switch.

I'm sure I'd like to know what that means. I buy a separate (master cutoff) switch, and there are specific places for me to install those on the unit?

Nah, iot could never be as simple as that. ;)
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Postby H.A. » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Boreal wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:And the PD4045 has an internal connection for a Master disconnect switch.

I'm sure I'd like to know what that means. I buy a separate (master cutoff) switch, and there are specific places for me to install those on the unit?

Nah, iot could never be as simple as that. ;)

What little I know of these PD4045 things, there are a couple versions.
Some have an easy provision for master DC disconnect, some dont. ( I am happily corrected if in error... )
The version I know of has an "L" shape copper strap between 2 setscrew terminals. its located above its 12 fuses.
That strap is removed then replaced with suitable wiring & switch wherever desired.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Yes, just remove the jumper that goes from the "Battery Pos. +" terminal to the "Alternate Battery Pos. +" terminal. And follow the directions in the paragraph "DC Disconnect" on page 1 of the Installation and Operation Guide.

Or, if you don't have the manual, connect the battery + to the Battery Pos terminal. Remove the jumper. Connect the + side of the disconnect switch to the same Battery Pos terminal. Connect the Load side of the disconnect switch to the Alternate Battery Pos terminal.

I use one of these Blue Sea switches.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--350a-compact-battery-switches--P009_272_004_501

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets