How do I wire my trailer for generator power

Anything electric, AC or DC

How do I wire my trailer for generator power

Postby lacofdfireman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:13 am

So I'm into. Y first build and now to the point where I have my most concern. Wiring it up. My plan is I want all 12v LED lighting but I will have 110v outlets for TV, Referigerstor/ Freezer combo and a few other misc outlets and an A/C unit. I also want to wire it for 30amp for an RV park so I can use the A/C without having to run the generator. I've thought about hiring this part out but I truly want this build to be 100% mine and my boys build. And it's a great opportunity to learn something. Hopefully without hurting someone. So I know I need outlet boxes, outlets and probably a breaker box with at least 2 15amp fuses. I figure I'd wire 1 from the breaker box straight to the A/C's 110v outlet and the other can run all my other 110 outlets. But how do I tie in the Generator to run all the outlets and how do I tie in the 30amp hookup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you can tell me you need to buy this for the 30amp and this to hookup the generator and with photos and links. Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Re: How do I wire my trailer for generator power

Postby lacofdfireman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:23 am

Also I wanted to mention that besides my generator I plan on doing a couple deep cycle batteries. Not sure if I'd do the 2 Deep cycle 6v batteries or 2 Deep 12v batteries. And not sure how to wire all these in. I was thinking of running all my 12v stuff direct to the batteries and leaving the 110v and 30amp systems seperate. Also if I wanted to charge my batteries I could just use my Schumacher charger on a fast 20amp setting and plug the carver into my generator instead of having to buy a charger converter. Will all this work?
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:36 am

The circuit box is wired to a 30A Inlet. The 30A inlet has a different plug than a standard house outlet -- 3 prones. This is the connection between the inside/circuit box and the shore power.

The inlet is mounted in the wall, generally on the driver side of the trailer. The inlet has a male fitting pointing outward and generally some reasonably water proof seal when it is not in use. The inside fitting is generally posts with screws to secure the wiring to. Think of it as a bigger slightly more elaborate plug.

You run an extension cord from the shore power pedestal or the generator and to the inlet. The pedestal and generator both have a female outlet(s). So your extension is a male to female extension, much like any other extension cord. However, the cable is generally heavier and obviously has 30A connectors on the ends. And if your generator does not have a 30A outlet, you need a coupler/converter bridge the difference between the 15A and 30A connectors. You might want a 20A to 30A coupler also.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 am

Take a look at the PD4045 panel. They get used a lot here in the builds & have worked very well for what you're doing. It will provide 110v house stuff and the 12v you need as well.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby H.A. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:57 pm

ed.
Last edited by H.A. on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 pm

H.A. wrote:These questions seem a bit disjointed.
To clear things up, Its helpful to know what type of generator you utilise.
Built in with indoor controls & transfer switching or portable set out whenever needed.

It's a portable Champion 2kw Generator. Will only be used when boondocking and A/C or 110 outlets are needed.
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:24 pm

The trailer needs an 120 VAC power inlet connection. Here's a 15 amp and here's a 30 amp. You can then use one of those to connect to either a campground or home electrical service or connect your generator through it.

Inside the trailer you can simplify the breakers and fuses question by installing a PD4045. That includes a good multi stage battery charger as well as fused circuits for DC and available positions for AC circuit breakers.

Do you plan on installing an inverter?

Probably don't need to say it, but everything DC is wired separately from the AC.

Does that help?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:00 pm

MtnDon wrote:The trailer needs an 120 VAC power inlet connection. Here's a 15 amp and here's a 30 amp. You can then use one of those to connect to either a campground or home electrical service or connect your generator through it.

Inside the trailer you can simplify the breakers and fuses question by installing a PD4045. That includes a good multi stage battery charger as well as fused circuits for DC and available positions for AC circuit breakers.

Do you plan on installing an inverter?

Probably don't need to say it, but everything DC is wired separately from the AC.

Does that help?

Thanks for the advice. That PD4045 is $250. That would be the most expensive thing in my build. I know I'm going overkill but couldn't I just use a $50 Blue seas fuse block for the 12v stuff and a home electrical box with 2 15amp breakers for my 110 outlets and the A/c then run a 30 amp plug to the exterior that goes to my panel. Then when I use the generator run a pigtail plug from the generator to that exterior 30amp plug that will run my TV and all my outlets? Wouldn't that be like way cheaper and work just as well? I was thinking for charging my batteries I'd just bring along my Schumacher portable charger and hook it up to my batteries when running the Genny. Will this not work?
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby H.A. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Wss.
Last edited by H.A. on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby noseoil » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 am

Our PD4045 was about $170, plus the breakers. Not sure where you were looking for that price...

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/ ... fgod7CcNVw
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:47 am

Check around and I'll bet you'll find a salvage yard near you with a fair number of large travel trailers and RVs. I picked up my old converter box for $10. I primarily wanted it for the built in circuit breakers and fuse panel. I removed the old converter charging system, which is famous for boiling batteries, and replaced it with the insides of one of my automatic 12v battery chargers. This not only saved weight, but now I have a system that can charge at a 6 am rate when needed or trickle or auto shutdown. I have a solar system and also a 2,000 watt inverter I picked up for $75. I also got one of those inexpensive HF 800 watt, 2 cycle generators for $80 on sale. Not nearly as quiet as a Honda, it costs a fraction and is seldom needed.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:12 am

noseoil wrote:Our PD4045 was about $170, plus the breakers. Not sure where you were looking for that price...

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/ ... fgod7CcNVw

Same here. I paid $171.00 plus $11.67 for shipping. just bought mine last week so the price is current

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:56 am

Yes, you don't need the PD unit. many use it as it makes wiring simple.

Why 30 amps? A small A/C does not need 30. Neither does the battery charger. Your generator is only 2kW, just a hair over 15 amps anyways.

If your AC power source is just the generator you only have 2kW which is just a hair over 15 amps. Also the gen will have a breaker so you could do w/o an AC breaker box on the trailer.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:16 pm

MtnDon wrote:Yes, you don't need the PD unit. many use it as it makes wiring simple.

Why 30 amps? A small A/C does not need 30. Neither does the battery charger. Your generator is only 2kW, just a hair over 15 amps anyways.

If your AC power source is just the generator you only have 2kW which is just a hair over 15 amps. Also the gen will have a breaker so you could do w/o an AC breaker box on the trailer.

So what about hooking up at an RV park if I don't want to run the generator? Won't I need at minimum a 30amp service? Never seen a 110v service at an RV park but maybe that's because I never have to look for one

So without the 30amp service how do I run all my 110 outlets? Do I still do a house breaker box and wire them all into that? I don't want to do 30amp if it's not necessary.
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

FWIW I have stayed in loads of campgrounds that had 50, 30 and 15/20 amp outlets on there electric hookups.

There are adapters to go from virtually anything to anything. For one easy source, Walmart stocks them in there camping / RV section. We carry a couple of adapters, just in case the campground does not have a 15/20 outlet, or as has happened the campground 15/20 outlet did not work, but the 30 did.

The campground power pedestals should be breaker protected as well. But it never hurts to have on board breakers as well just in case their electrical is subpar. You only need to size your on board breakers or fuses to the size appropriate to protect the wiring in the trailer. If two circuits of 15 to 20 amps each will provide all the power you need then you need to decide whether or not there is any chance of you consuming more than 15/20 amps at the same time. In a big RV that will usually come about when the big roof top A/C is running and someone wants to microwave dinner at the same time.

If you decide you need 30 amps available at the trailer then you need the larger more costly connecting cable as well as the different configuration plugs and receptacles. Whether you need 30 amps is decided by what the trailer loads will be.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets