Stuff you don't need

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Stuff you don't need

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:46 pm

And if one is camping where there is no trash cans for some one else to pick up after you, or no fires permitted or wise to build. You have messy paper plates to pack around until you find some place to dump them. I hope you at least dump them where they are suppose to be dumped.

I just pick up some correll type plates at the 2nd hand store. They work very well and it doesn't really take much to wash them. Do not take up much room and always ready to go.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Donutboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:35 pm

While I love cooking in a dutch oven (I have three), I am amazed at all the extra stuff you have to bring to use it. The dutch ovens themselves, big container of charcoal, firestarter chimney, lid lifter, scrub brush, oven mitt. I finally figured out I don't NEED a dutch oven, and only bring them to large gatherings. The little coleman stove and the small propane grills are must haves. Since I have a microwave, I could just bring frozen dinners, but cooking outdoors is half the fun.

As for dinner cleanup, for the non-cast iron stuff, I carry three shoe-size plastic containers. They nest together, and work well for the Boy Scout three pan method of washing dishes:

1. Wash pot – contains hot water with a few drops of biodegradable soap
2. Cold Rinse pot – cold water with a few drops of bleach to kill bacteria
3. Hot Rinse pot - clear hot water

Then let everything air dry. No towels needed.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby felixx » Fri May 06, 2016 5:42 am

I dont need two tilley lamps, one is enough
For overnight trips the camp table with sink is overkill

2 radio control planes

the extra 20 litres of water for a 1 night trip

I take plastic plates as I take my kids a lot, they like to snack so keeping plates clean is easier than filling a bin with rubbish

I too buy all my camp gear 2nd hand

I do take my DO, but put the welding gloves, tea towels etc inside it

Old paper towels get meths poured over em as fire starters
felixx
Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Fri May 06, 2016 1:39 pm

tony.latham wrote:I'm surprised by this disdain for paper plates. PP=much less clean up and dishwater. (This thread is about downsizing).
T

I regularly use those thin cheap paper plates in a plastic holder everyday. The plastic holder adds support and if you're careful, don't need washing or just a wiping off.

Wolffarmer wrote:I just pick up some correll type plates at the 2nd hand store. They work very well and it doesn't really take much to wash them. Do not take up much room and always ready to go.

Randy

Correll plates are my everyday plates. They're more durable than "stoneware" plates. BTW, they're really tempered glass.

-- Teri
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 pm

At the beginning of the second, third, and fourth camping seasons, I looked through everything, taking some things out and adding others. This season, I haven't even looked. It may have taken a while; but, just maybe I've finally found my happy medium.

The only problem is that all the stuff I removed is sitting in boxes in the garage! :thinking: Maybe It's time to clean the garage this summer. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jstrubberg » Tue May 10, 2016 4:35 pm

The more stuff you have, the more time you spend taking care of your stuff.

Wish I had learned that lesson at a younger age.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue May 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Or you make it very easy to take care of your stuff. The water heater and on board water makes clean up no more difficult than at home.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 am

Somehow over the last year, I accumulated more stuff that goes with me. My parents gave me a little fireplace in a can, so now I also have to take a 20lb propane tank. They also gave me a folding kitchen thing, I don't take it every trip, but I still end up storing it.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Wed May 11, 2016 2:28 pm

back when I camped in a pop-up with 3 kids and wife, I used to think, "You know,people set out on the prairie to start a new life with less stuff than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 11, 2016 2:32 pm

It's difficult to get rid of things that people give me, even if I never use them. I'm always concerned that they will ask me where their gift is, when they visit. My sister did that one time, with something she gave me. She asked where it was. Fortunately, I had it readily displayed and all she had to do was turn around to see it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed May 11, 2016 6:34 pm

jstrubberg wrote:The more stuff you have, the more time you spend taking care of your stuff.

Wish I had learned that lesson at a younger age.

No Truer Words Spoken! :thumbsup: Pack light to make more time for :beer: :wine: :tipsy: :Flippin Burger:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:53 pm

I don't take the "Easy-Up" unless I'm staying for a few days. They aren't as easy as they would have you believe. :D They are nice if it rains or shade is lacking.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:11 pm

capnTelescope wrote:I don't take the "Easy-Up" unless I'm staying for a few days. They aren't as easy as they would have you believe. :D They are nice if it rains or shade is lacking.

:yes: I agree. I gave mine away and am still looking for that perfect outdoor set-up. I'll figure that out one of these days....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby booyah » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:37 am

So, I'm going to say that I really missed my easy up this last time out. The wife broke it about 2-3 days before we went, and I really missed the roof. The place to put stuff under at night so it couldnt get wet, the extra shade to hang out under, that is one thing I have never regretted bringing.

the bug house though, so far has come on 3-4 trips, but never been setup. Ofcourse, the first time I knowingly leave it behind I bet I buy another :?
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets