popup frame with torsion axle question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

popup frame with torsion axle question

Postby rustytoolss » Mon May 16, 2016 9:06 pm

I found an old popup frame with a torsion axle. I do not know anything about torsion axles. But have been reading about setting the axle angle. Since this is a popup frame, is this something that I may have to do ? or is the whole angle adjustment thing only for new replacement axles ?
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: popup frame with torsion axle question

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 17, 2016 6:38 am

You are inventing problems ! Pop ups are notoriously heavy. You will have no problem with the factory setup in my opinion. I am sure other will have their own opinions as well.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: popup frame with torsion axle question

Postby Nobody » Tue May 17, 2016 9:41 am

Bob's right. Pop-ups are very heavy for their size (see my answer to your post in General forum). Be aware that the useful life of most torsion axles is 20-25yrs due to deterioration of the rubber 'rods' in the axle that provide support/flex for the torsion arm. If the chassis/axle you've found is more'n 25yrs old I'd check the flex of the torsion arm. If it stays almost at the 'top' of its arc, & most of the flex is in the tire sidewalls, it probably needs replacing... ;) As far as I'm aware, there is only one brand of torsion axle (Flexiride brand, & they're pricey) that allows you to 'set' the start angle of the arm. Most torsion axles are pre-set at the factory & once you've got 'em, you've got 'em!
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets