coleman 502 and 3024 questions

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

coleman 502 and 3024 questions

Postby Rolly » Mon May 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Okay a Coleman 3024 and a 502 in its aluminum kit followed me home from a yard sale. The 3024 looks new, the 502 is experienced. I have never used either of these stoves before. Instructions are printed and legible on both stoves, so I can probably get them lit. If some one has used these stoves you probably know just how much fuel to put in and how many pumps to use so the stove doesn't sputter and die in the middle of cooking a meal. Would you share that info?

TIA
Gary
Rolly
Teardrop Advisor

Re: coleman 502 and 3024 questions

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Not sure what a 3024 is. sound like a profane to me. ;)

The 502 is a nice stove. If when you took the fuel cap off you had to force it to get the gasket to let go from the fount the the gasket is probably bad. If the cap has a screw in the middle it is called a "three piece" cap. Gasket is easy to replace once you have a new gasket and know how. It require fire to add to the enjoyment. Stores only sell replacement caps. Not a lot of money to be made selling just the gasket. If you have a one piece cap those are harder to replace the gasket, can be done but not one of the easiest things to do.

Put fuel in to just below the filler hole. Or use one the the red plastic filter funnels. Pump it up about 25 -30 pumps. Do not worry your thump will give up long before the fount will burst from over pressure. Get the beast fired up and roaring then add about 5-10 more pumps. If the cap is sealing should run for a long time. My only grip with the 502 is they do not simmer well, at least the ones I have.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re: coleman 502 and 3024 questions

Postby Rolly » Tue May 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks for the help. The 3024 burns coleman fuel. It is like a mini 502.

Gary
Rolly
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment