First Coleman Stove and a Lantern ?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: First Coleman Stove and a Lantern ?

Postby Techguy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:44 am

These work pretty good when filling a cold lantern. I always worked on the picnic table or some other outside surface... tree stumps or log rounds are great choices. I lke not having to worry about any fuel spills. If you fill it and any leaks out, I move the lantern away from the fill area and let it dry itself. It evaporate pretty quickly.

If I know I am going to use a lantern or a stove later in the day, I like to fill it and then place it on the hanger/nail/whatever-holds-your-lamp/stove and let it "rest for a while before lighting it. This way I know it will run for several hours without needed to be re-filled, you know you don't have any fuel on the outside, and you avoid the desire/need to fill a hot lamp/stove.

They are about $10 at many stores and Amazon. Support you local camp store if at all possible, It may be cheaper than Amazon+shipping.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Forrest747 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Well i took the lantern camping and couldnt get the fuel filler cap off and so no light. ANyhow also i really have no room for it in the galley. i would like to keep it back there so i dont have to remember to pack it. it will fit on the countertop if i lay it on its side inside teh box.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 am

I carry a inexpensive pair of pliers in the camp stove along with my extra mantels and a small screwdriver and my fuel filter funnel. Now to get the fuel cap off. if it has a screw in it, try to loosen it a little. then try the pliers. Keep trying this till you get it off. Just a suggestion.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alex k » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 pm

the more you use the lantern the easier it gets . have 20 now ( as you can guess it's a addiction )and burn
one or two every night .
welcome to the white gas family !!
not to be confused with alexk from california

Green Lantern Corpsman
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
alex k
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:13 pm

If you don't want to bugger up the fuel cap with the pilers just put some cloth over it before the pilers. Shirt tails was made for this.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby tyellow57 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 am

Morning All

I have a double mantel Coleman lantern that I have bought back in 1975 that still has the original mantels on it. It has been used a lot over the years. My Dad and step Dad have told me if it was to be bumped hard would need to replace them. I guess I have been very lucky. Troy 8)
tyellow57
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ToddMithumb » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:18 pm

I have three of the old Coleman Lanterns. They are the go to light for night time fishing for suckers! Maybe not the brightest light out there anymore but they run forever on a tank of gas. They also travel well in a five gallon bucket in the back of a truck.
ToddMithumb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 12, 2016 12:30 pm

ToddMithumb wrote:I have three of the old Coleman Lanterns. They are the go to light for night time fishing for suckers! Maybe not the brightest light out there anymore but they run forever on a tank of gas. They also travel well in a five gallon bucket in the back of a truck.

Only three??? How do you resist? I want to know. I just bought another one this morning. Makes about 60 lanterns for me. 40 or so stoves. Well over 100 now. Not counting funnels, cases and other things.

:cry: Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:
ToddMithumb wrote:I have three of the old Coleman Lanterns. They are the go to light for night time fishing for suckers! Maybe not the brightest light out there anymore but they run forever on a tank of gas. They also travel well in a five gallon bucket in the back of a truck.

Only three??? How do you resist? I want to know. I just bought another one this morning. Makes about 60 lanterns for me. 40 or so stoves. Well over 100 now. Not counting funnels, cases and other things.

Thats some kind of collection you have there mate.
Ive got one stove and one lantern but i try not to look at anymore as im already addicted to weber grill collection
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 pm

dales133 wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:

Thats some kind of collection you have there mate.
Ive got one stove and one lantern but i try not to look at anymore as im already addicted to weber grill collection

I bought the lantern on Thursday last week. Went back Saturday Morning to see what was left. Got yet another 413. It was listed at $25 on the first day. Saturday the price was $6 but as it was 1/2 price day I got it for $3. While I have not yet fired it up with the fuel on the tank I see no reason it will not work. Also when I got it home I found that in its past someone had wired a mil spec funnel to it. That it self is worth $3 any day.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets