Wire junctions

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wire junctions

Postby TheOtherSean » Sun May 22, 2016 12:35 am

What do people recommend for 12VDC wiring junctions? I have both the trailer/towing lights (powered by the tow vehicles) and the general trailer 12VDC system to worry about. Should I use some sort of junction box like for 120VAC? Is there something like that but smaller available? Are mechanical connectors (wiring nuts or the "clip" things) OK or do I need to solder?
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Re: Wire junctions

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun May 22, 2016 7:04 am

I prefer a terminal block myself, you can do individuals or groups depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Be sure its rated for the job at hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Terminal-Bloc ... inal+block

http://www.amazon.com/Position-Covered- ... inal+block
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby les45 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:00 am

I also use terminal blocks because they make a nice, neat installation and allow easy removal if something changes later. However, there are places where I use wire nuts like connections to the short pigtails on lights or fixtures. In the pic below, I ran my trailer running lights through the cabin and used the terminal block to facilitate running several wires through the Wiremold conduit. You can see where one set of wires connects to a nearby clearance light with wire nuts. I've also used male/female spade connectors where I want to be able to disconnect a circuit. With the spade connectors, I always solder the wire crimp connection.

les45
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun May 22, 2016 11:02 am

Here's what I use and my junction for the two batteries. I use this for my main fuse block.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby TheOtherSean » Mon May 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the input.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets