100 Pounder

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

100 Pounder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:54 am

Anyone ever mount a 100 pound tank on a trailer tongue? Or see any problems in doing it?
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Re: 100 Pounder

Postby Socal Tom » Sat May 14, 2016 6:31 am

I traveled cross country with a 150 lb generator on the tongue. Once it was on i could not lift the trailer. It depends on what weight your TV can handle.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 am

Not being a smart alec but, why? :thinking:
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun May 15, 2016 9:41 am

One can exchange a 20 lb cylinders almost every where these days, two 20's and you have working and a spare, lot easier to manage...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun May 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Dale M. wrote:One can exchange a 20 lb cylinders almost every where these days, two 20's and you have working and a spare, lot easier to manage...

Dale

Dale is very correct on the exchange racks being everywhere, plus I have no idea how much cooking you plan to do, but a 20 lb bottle last a very long time. ( liquid to vapor is approx. 270Vapor:1Liquid) If you really need more, put 2 side by side 20's on your tongue then the refill is easy and convenient. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun May 15, 2016 5:12 pm

I have thought about the 100 lbr's before, for hunt camp purposes. But reality set in for me and I just rounded up the three 20lb tanks I had around the house and brough them with me. They are easier to fill and probably less likely to develop legs when I was away from camp. Plus the weight of the single 100lb tank is more then I want to manhandle.
Last edited by lrrowe on Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:08 am

Thanks for the replies. These are all very good points. My 6X12 is on order and I am planning feverishly. I already have a hundred pounder and would like to use it unless I can come up with too many reasons not to. For one thing it would be nice to get it out of the shop where I have been tripping over it for years.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:Thanks for the replies. These are all very good points. My 6X12 is on order and I am planning feverishly. I already have a hundred pounder and would like to use it unless I can come up with too many reasons not to. For one thing it would be nice to get it out of the shop where I have been tripping over it for years.

Craiglist, offer it for trade for smaller ones...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon May 16, 2016 8:19 am

Or move it around to the side of the house and use it for the BBQ.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Mon May 16, 2016 8:29 am

For 14 years (from 1992-2006) my wife & I lived in a 32' fifth wheel trailer. I got tired of changing out the 30# 'bottles' every few weeks so I bought a used 100# 'bottle', hooked it into my gas system & we used it for cooking, hot water (bathing & dish washing), & for the furnace in the trailer. One 100# 'bottle' would last us most of the winter here in central Arkansas, so you've got a lot of propane there. Aaaand, they're bulky, heavy, & hard to handle... ;)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 pm

You can carry the 20lb tanks into the exchange/fill place. You'll have to drag the trailer to where ever to fill that 100lb tank.

Having a tank filled is way cheaper than exchanges. Here it's $19.95 for an exchange (i.e., ~$4.00 per gallon) where a refill is $1.50 per gallon or ~$7 for a full tank.

I just completed a 4 week trip through the Southwest with my teardrop. I use a 5 gal (20lb) tank and did not empty it cooking 2 or 3 meals, heating wash water, and running a small propane fire ring. I had to run the fire ring all day on a few days because of the foul weather.

And don't forget that that 100lb tank, when full weighs ~150 lbs and will increase your tongue weight by the same amount.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 pm

My back is starting to hurt reading this post.

We use about a half pound of propane per day. Coffee in the morning and cooking in the evening. I'd guess we'll spend thirty teardrop nights this summer. Thus we're looking at about fifteen pounds for this year.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:32 am

One other thing I forgot to mention is, I am hoping to run my Honda EU3000i on propane as well. I haven't installed it yet, but I bought this US Carburetion kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-EU3000-Tr ... SwQItTzSpb
Anyone out there ever use one of these? I only payed about half this price. I got an email special through AR15.com if I remember right.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby haha49 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Most people that seem to have tanks that large are full time 5th wheel types. They tend to haul them in the back of the truck and don't move very often. The 100lb tank is a pain in the rear to move around and chances are your going to have to be able to take it off to fill it. It depends on how much fuel you use and how often you fill it. My house uses propane for the stove, heating, and bbq I have 4 100lb tanks and for a house they last about 2 months (1 tank). 1 if you heat the home as well. Not easy to haul around not easy to lift not easy to mount. If you want to use it have it away from the trailer that's what I see people doing some places have limits on how much can be on the trailer it self so might want to consider were your taking it.

Don't forget that tank might be expired if it sat in the shop for years. They have dates then that's it for them. Might want to check the date on the tank to see if it's past due might not be worth mounting if you can't get it filled.

Now you want to run a propane generator. My question is this how much power do you need? How much charging do you need to do. Might be better off adding solar to keep it somewhat topped up run 1 thing at a time. You might not need a generator at all depends on how much you use. Most people it's cellphone, ipads, laptop, TV, and coffee machine. Figure out what you want to power then plan for that a bigger battery bank and solar might be a better option if you run and charge things mostly durning the day. My plan is no generator just a simple small solar setup to charge things. Laptop, phone 12v popcorn machine, 12v toaster then for stove I go with back packing liquid fuel stove. Small compact cheap. Don't plan on using propaine at all the cooler is 12v. If you buy 12v stuff your power usage goes down as well if you want an air conditioner then you want more power but you can also buy lithium batterys and they can run an ac they can also run down to a lower voltage then a normal battery. They happen to cost allot more though so trade offs.
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets