Fiberglass eat foam?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Fiberglass eat foam?

Postby haha49 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 pm

I was wondering if I fiberglass will it eat the foam. I plan on using marine plywood routing it out stuffing foam on the inside then using carbon fiber for the skin. It would make the wall strong and light weight so I was wondering if it would eat it. The other option is Kevlar if I want a cheaper material. I plan on using the pink insulation foam
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Re: Fiberglass eat foam?

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:16 pm

haha49 wrote:I was wondering if I fiberglass will it eat the foam. I plan on using marine plywood routing it out stuffing foam on the inside then using carbon fiber for the skin. It would make the wall strong and light-weight so I was wondering if it would eat it. The other option is Kevlar if I want a cheaper material. I plan on using the pink insulation foam

Fiberglass, Kevlar, and carbon fiber do not react with foam. Nor does epoxy resin, but polyester will dissolve most foams.

I suggest you sit down, put you're feet up, and read KC's thread on his build of The Poet Creek Express: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48630 :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:59 pm

If you are going to use expensive carbon or kevlar fabric for your trailer composite skin, the only logical choice is to use epoxy resin and as noted above, it will not eat this pink polyester foam.

If you still want to use cheaper polyester or vinylester resins then you could use polyiso foam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyisocyanurate) that will not be eaten by those resins. Use fiberglass cloth with such resins then.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Mitchelkitman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:41 pm

OP827 wrote:If you are going to use expensive carbon or kevlar fabric for your trailer composite skin, the only logical choice is to use epoxy resin and as noted above, it will not eat this pink polyester foam.

If you still want to use cheaper polyester or vinylester resins then you could use polyiso foam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyisocyanurate) that will not be eaten by those resins. Use fiberglass cloth with such resins then.

All the above - and if you are truly aiming for light weight, don't include plywood!
Mitchelkitman
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets