Trailer and floor in one?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer and floor in one?

Postby loaderman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:25 pm

I have a discussion going in the "foamie" section. I am looking at building a 7 by 12 foamie with a lift up roof, only 3' high when down then lifts up to 6'-6" with tent sides.
Instead of building a trailer then putting a floor on it what if the floor and trailer were one. Sort of a pico light design.
thinking 2 main frame members down each side that the springs would attach to, then they curve in and meet at the hitch,like some boat trailers do. Across the back it would have a cross member that goes right out to the 7' wide and act as a bumper as well. No cross members between the hitch and back.
The floor would have "joists" every 16", metal bent into an Z-shape out of heavy gauge. Some of these would attach to the main frame rails.
Floor would be canvass, thin plywood, 2" foam and Z-joists every 16inches, then thin plywood on top and linoleum, or just painted.

I am looking at making it as light as possible because it seems for many the trailer is really heavy.

Does this sound like a good plan, or any other suggestions.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Re: Trailer and floor in one?

Postby KennethW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 pm

Most of the weight of a HF trailer is the axle wheels springs and spring mount. The frame really does not weight that much. How is it that with the z pieces that you have not built a trailer? The bend in of the side rail may be a weak spot.
For your cross members you might look at metal studs.
Just my thoughts.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby loaderman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:53 pm

I am not is the USA, in Canada and can not get an HF trailer. The ones I can get are about 800 to 100 and would need modified so I am thnking of building my own.
The heavy guage Z-joists would be in the floor not the trailer. The trailer main beams would be almost like a beam in the basement of a house.

Trailers here I have seen have the cross-members then have some sort of floor joist, sometimes 2x2 or 1x2 as well in the floor, I would be eliminateing the cross members and saving some weight.
Hmmm 1.5inch by 1.5inch 1/8 wall angle iron is 2.5lbs per foot. I would save about 24 feet or 60lbs, plus some on the square tubing being bent to form the tongue, instead of squared off frame and angled tongue running under it. so probably 80-100lbs over all. in a 1000-1200lb build that is a lot.

I am totally up for suggestions if there is a better way to do this.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Just some food for thought on a 2" foam floor. I did not use any floor joist. Just canvas on the bottom the foam with FRP on the top. That was put right on top of the 4' wide frame with a 6" overhang to make it 5' wide. So that is why I misunderstood the use of the Z joist. Got it now.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WizardOfOdds » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:51 pm

I urge you to read this link
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54379&p=1009322
and consider the X design Apache used on many trailers back in the 1960s.
I had an Apache Buffalo that used this design and it was light and strong.
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby loaderman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:40 am

Wizard - That is an interesting frame design.

I tried to lay it out on a 7 by 12 floor and not sure if it will work. could you post a possible sketch?

Kenneth - i agree with a 5' wide floor, mine is 7' so that would be 1.5' wider, I wonder if that is to much for foam and canvas to span? That is why the idea of Z-joists came to mind. Heavy gauge metal if it can not flex is amazingly strong. We have sandwiched metal strips in wood beams to gain far greater spans.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets