BACK FEEDING ONE GANG OUTLET

Anything electric, AC or DC

BACK FEEDING ONE GANG OUTLET

Postby Tommy B » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Anybody, please, I don't want to get electrocuted here.

After disconnecting my AC electrical hook up months ago I put it back together and it doesn't work. After calling the dealer to inquire how they did it, he said hmmmm sounds like we did a back feed. Be careful you may get nocked on your butt.

Here is what I remember him saying 7 years ago. " DONT LOOSE THIS ADAPTER,EVER." That adapter is now misplaced :x I remember you had to pass the extension cord through the floor, then press on the big yellow double male adapter. One male side into the extension cord and the other side of the male adapter into one of the two receptacle outlets. Then plug in a two foot cord/male plug ( that is hard wired into the receptacle through the bottom of the receptacle ) into the remaining outlet. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? What I did was like I said but with out the adapter I just plugged in the extension cord from the house right to the hard wired AC short male plug. So, power to the extension cord, yes. Power to the AC Male plug from the extension cord, has to be. NOW,from there to the plug is wired to the side of the receptacle. white to white,black to black, copper and green to ground. At this point I would think it work. BUT DO I HAVE TO ACTAULLY PLUG IT IN to work? IS This a back feed? Is there a better way? I want to hard wire my range into this too but think I may need a double gang box and two extension cords anyway, one for each receptacle. Where can I buy a double male adapter? I looked in home depot. No go Dealer said try camping world.

Please Help
Thanks I could post pics if it will help. just say so.
Tommy B
500 Club

Re: BACK FEEDING ONE GANG OUTLET

Postby Tommy B » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Oh yes the short AC Hard wired plug is spliced into the wires coming from the AC, then wired to the receptacle. That's why I thought It should work without having to plug in the short cord as it is indirectly wired right to the AC. I may have it right and just need the adapter. My memory should be better. Are you confused yet? I am
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:12 pm

I posted this on my thread under cargo trailer conversions. Hallmark 6x12. Can you please respond there? Thank you very much.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Tommy B wrote:Where can I buy a double male adapter?

If by double male adapter you mean something that has the male prongs on both ends, you will never find a ready made one. They would be dangerous to use. You could kill yourself or someone else. That is, if you mean it to be something like a short cord with a male plug on each end. maybe I have misinterpreted what you mean.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:56 am

An picture of the end of extension cord and what you are trying to connect it to might help....

It sounds right what you have done, BUT....

You are not going to find a double male adapter anywhere (unless home/custom) made... It goes against all safety practices of electrical connections by having HOT electrical connections possible exposed to human or other contact

If you have a standard male 3 prong connector on TD (pigtail wired to back side of receptacle) to power receptacles and plugging in extension cord to TD pigtail then AC supply, if all the wiring connections are correct it should work.... That is pretty much how most travel trailer wiring is done except they usually use a enclosed male connector and not a male pigtail wired off BACKSIDE of receptacle...

This is way it is normally done...

Image\

But you can wire one of these to "backside" of receptacles to power receptacles... PROVIDING THERE IS NO OTHER WAY FOR RECEPTACLE CIRCUIT TO BE ENERGIZED, as in power coming from inverter or such...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets