Jack stands for stabilizers?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Jack stands for stabilizers?

Postby les45 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:28 pm

Has anyone used regular jack stands as stabilizers? I have removed the Atwood type permanent stabilizers from all four corners of my pop-up project with intentions of cleaning them up, but they are in such bad shape that they are not really worth the effort. I don't really want to drill the frame for new permanent stabilizers because the frame is really hard (I've tried to drill it already) plus it leaves the stabilizers hanging down and exposed. Rather than buying scissors jacks or portable screw stands, I wondered why I can't just use the jack stands that I already have and have been using during my project work. They are adjustable to within about 1/2" and a couple of wood shims will tighten them up solid. I have the added advantage of the bumper sticking out of the back end making easier access to install.

les45
500 Club

Re: Jack stands for stabilizers?

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I supposed I'd put a block or something under them in case the ground was soft. Else you'd be putting more and more shims in over the course of a weekend.

Without having to drill for bolts, could you use u-bolts to hold some scissor jacks?
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:07 pm

3GKnight wrote:I supposed I'd put a block or something under them in case the ground was soft. Else you'd be putting more and more shims in over the course of a weekend.

Without having to drill for bolts, could you use u-bolts to hold some scissor jacks?

Yes, I would normally have a wood pad for a base and several shims for adjusting. I used wood blocks under the Atwood stabilizers on my weekender.

I could hang scissors jacks on the bumper with U-bolts but I don't think I would like the look of that as a permanent fixture. I guess you could use scissors jacks as portable stabilizers and keep them stored elsewhere but I'm just questioning the practicality of using the jack stands and saving the cost of buying any additional gadgets.
les45
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm

I use a couple of these screw-type stabilizer jacks
These are at Home Depot, but I think I got mine at Amazon
http://tinyurl.com/hfwy7tu

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby les45 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:44 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I use a couple of these screw-type stabilizer jacks

<Chas>

The feedback on Amazon indicates the screws and nut simply sit on top and are not fastened to the base. Are they easily removable so that the bases can be nested for storage and travel?
les45
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:16 pm

I use jack stands at first. But found that I did not need stabilizers with a HF trailer. You may want to try your TD out to see if it has a lot of bounce.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:26 pm

les45 wrote:

I got mine from Amazon too.

<Chas>

The feedback on Amazon indicates the screws and nut simply sit on top and are not fastened to the base. Are they easily removable so that the bases can be nested for storage and travel?

Yes they do nest. Light but sturdy.
I carry a board to put under them too.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:38 pm

I found a pair at garage sale, love them, infinitely adjustable. Very light and they do nest

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:20 am

You guys have talked me into the screw jacks. Amazon has a set of 4 for $30 so I went ahead and ordered them. Their light weight and the fact that they nest for compact storage sealed the deal. The steel jack stands would take up a lot more space and just one stand weighs more than the entire set of screw jacks. It also eliminates the need for wedges. I don't plan on using them for leveling. Several of the reviews said they were a bit shaky because of only having one nut on top but one reviewer solved the problem by buying an extra nut to screw in from the bottom after they are set up. I might try that but I think the pressure of the screw against the trailer frame will make them tight enough for my purposes.
les45
500 Club

Postby les45 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:26 am

KennethW wrote:I use jack stands at first. But found that I did not need stabilizers with a HF trailer. You may want to try your TD out to see if it has a lot of bounce.

I don't have a lot of bounce with the stock trailer tires. I plan on using stabilizers primarily to keep the trailer from tilting down in the rear since the bed is located almost totally behind the wheels. Also, the front tends to sway a little from side to side with the existing tongue jack.
les45
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Yep, have been using the screw jacks for both Conch Fritter (the present little trailer) and also a 25' coachmen I used to have. They work great. Carry along a set of pads to put them on. I made mine from 1" x 8" x 12" cedar board. This gives them a large base to sit on. They are a fraction of the weight of jack stands and the jack stands will only allow adjustments in 1/2-1" increments, where the screws are any distance.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:26 pm

I had what seems like a gizzion (ok a little stretch) of the screw jack stand and now I have none. That is why I do not like to discard stuff. Some day I just might need it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:49 am

Don't have any good pix but, I have a '95 Starcraft Meteorite-17 pop-up trailer (8' box) that I use for a hunting/fishing camp. I require a good, stable set-up so I use the Atwood stabilizer jacks that are welded to the chassis at the rear (inside the longitudinal frame rails), & a pair of the 'pyamid' type aluminum screw type jacks at front. I have pieces of 1/2" plywood cut an inch larger than the pyramid base that do a good job of supporting the aluminum base on soft/muddy surfaces. Have used this system for several years & it works great. The aluminum screw jacks are lightweight, store handily, are quick/easy to deploy, & are very sturdy...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby les45 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:04 am

I ended up buying the Camco stabilizers from Amazon for $30 shipped. That is a really good deal as they are about $50 at most of the online camping stores. They came in two days and they nest in a box that is not much bigger than one stand. Very light weight and will take up very little space in storage. They fit perfectly under my frame on a dead level with about two inches of thread to spare. There is a little movement if you shake the trailer from side to side but they are very solid in their vertical support. Camco doesn't call them screw jacks and caution against using them for lifting. In fact though, they will easily lift the front end off the tongue jack if you screw hard enough.

les45
500 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:19 am

<Chas>

:thumbsup: Me, too.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets