2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Postby desertrat222 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:23 pm

what all is your solar running? im running a 3.3 cu ft fridge, 4-interior lights, 1 exterior light, 3GPM water pump for showers. my 280 watt panel and 2-6v bats run all this so far. im going to add an evap cooler soon with 500 cfm fan and another small pump. i may have to ad 2 more bats at this point.
desertrat222
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 pm

I only boondock camp so I didn't plan to carry or use any appliances that use AC connections or inverter. I've tried to keep is fairly simple and ready to go at all times, so a lot of my supplies are things like shelf stable milk, canned soups and meats, and dried foods.

I have thought about someday getting a 12v fridge, but they are pretty spendy, and I seldom tote enough refrigerated items to justify getting a fridge instead of my current ice chest. My panel is 100 watts and my battery is a smaller one---12v deep cycle 84 amp hours. The battery is close to the end of its life, so I will be replacing it before too long.

I mostly just use it for 4 led light fixtures, two fans, and charging phones and computers. Also I use a 12v heated blanket and curling iron on occasion. Nice luxuries. So far that has pretty much covered my needs.

The solar panel on the roof keeps the battery topped up all the time. I have even disconnected my tow vehicle connection to my battery as it is not currently needed.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Jim, I've gotten out a few times, but not nearly as much as I would like. I spent some good days camping and fishing on the Wyoming/Idaho border. It was warm enough at night that I didn't even hook the propane up to the heater.

This summer has been mostly trips and visits with grandkids. Our son is being deployed to Japan for 3 years so time with his family has been on the top of the list.

How is Silver Creek doing. I've heard that last year and this year the water has gotten lower and a lot warmer. Hope those snooty fish are treating you well!

And hopefully this wet trend will continue and there won't be a bunch of fires this year! (probably--fat chance!)
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Rainier70 wrote:How is Silver Creek doing. I've heard that last year and this year the water has gotten lower and a lot warmer. Hope those snooty fish are treating you well!

And hopefully this wet trend will continue and there won't be a bunch of fires this year! (probably--fat chance!)

Water is up a little from earlier rains in aquafer, and doing ok. Trico city the last two mornings! Pods of risers. 6x and little stuff is pretty fun for a while.

We need to rendezvous sometime and compare builds. I think my wife and I will be on the Jackson side somewhere next week though. The crowded side. Maybe Greys too.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Good to hear the water improved. Sounds like the fishing is normal...tiny tiny bugs and skinny leaders!

I would love to see your build in person. I still lust after your Dickinson stove! Unfortunately this year is crazy busy. Going to St George tomorrow, then to Colorado in first of August... More grandkid exchanges.

I've only had the reflective paint on mine for a couple of days, and I don't have before and after temps, but it sure seems to me that the solar paint made a big difference on how warm the CT gets by afternoon. One of the better twenty dollar bills I have spent.

Good luck in Western Wyoming. I love the Greys.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:54 pm

I got a sheet of frp (fiber reinforced panel) and put in a shower floor. I made it fairly simple and extended it from the front to the outside edge of the door. The wood sides are ripped to about 3/8th of an inch. They are put on with tiny screws and lot of silicone caulk. The corners and inside edges are also caulked.

Instead of putting the drain in the middle, I put it in the end toward the back of the trailer. I did that because I almost always level my trailer from side to side but keep the front nose up a bubble. I do that because I sleep better with my head up a little. It also makes it predictable on which way water will run for something like this. :D

The frp bends easily and I intended to recess the drain down about a 1/4 of an inch at a slight slope back to about 4 inches, but I found that the drain I bought doesn't have a strong enough screw system to hold much of anything. Really whimpy!! So until I get a different model it will have to just stay level. The last of the water is still easy to chase out with a squeegee.

Here is the basic floor with the curtain back, but the floor mat still down. (Please excuse the water spots on the camera lens. The camera is a little point and shoot that I use for fishing. It sometimes gets splashed, and I don't realize it. Sorry about that)

And with the shower curtain out. I need to move where my hooks, that the curtain hangs on, are placed so that it is centered and expanded more. That can wait until I get to town to get a few more hooks, as I want to keep the ones on the back wall where I hang it out of the way.

A close up of the mat over the rubber drain plug. Mat isn't straight... I just plopped it down to take the picture. :R

And this is where things sit traveling.

I am really debating on enclosing my bathroom/shower area with my expanding wall on slides. I like the more open feel of just the curtain on the wall. I may just put a folding bench over the porta-potty. The bench would be good for putting waders on and off. Decisions.... decisions..... :thinking:

I really like having the floor and drain in front of the door. I can come in to remove my muddy or wet shoes and contain it all in that area. Then I just use my sprayer hose to wash it out the drain. I do have a bucket under the drain to catch the water, but with the sprayer I only use about a 1/2 gal to at most a gal for a shower.

The bumpy texture of the frp does hold on to some dirt so I either brush it while spraying out or give it a finish wipe with a rag. So far it cleans up pretty nice. :thumbsup: I'll have to see what a couple of years of hard use do to it.
Last edited by Rainier70 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26 pm

I love FRP, I have it in in my bathroom at home for its ease of cleaning. That's what I'll use in my trailer too, if I ever get around to that inside shower. I just don't want to give up 9 square feet--yet. I've been pondering though, on every trip. I keep looking for things I don't really need up in the nose, and I've found the space in a corner of the V, and the drain hole is already there for the propane line. Just haven't figured out what "stuff" will be either carried in the truck, or left at home all together. After every trip, I can always go through the trailer's storage areas and say, "I didn't use this, or that, or these, or this, . . . " Close, I'm getting close.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:45 pm

No real need for a dedicated shower only area. A dual use for space is good.

I know of several showers that are nothing more than a full surround curtain hung in the main walk area with a tub to stand in. I used the medium sized mortar mixing tub for my shower for several years. My curtain surround has elastic in the top hem and hangs from four small cup hooks in the ceiling. When done I move it to its "home" against the wall. I did have the tub there to let it drip into until it dried. The tub was also nice for wet boots and waders to drip in.

I also used an outdoor shower enclosure for a lot of years. They work too, but I enjoy showering in where it is warm now!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:03 pm

I have an outdoor enclosure for solar showers and also a battery operated pump with a sprayer. No water heater though. I usually just end up going to a koa ot other public shower though for 5 to 10 bucks a pop. Showering more often when the time is right, with little set-up would be easier. Just need the space. When I'm gone for a month at a time, theres a lot of stuff I take along. Too much!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby walkrdg » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:57 pm

My project is stalled right now for various reasons, but I spend odd moments thinking about the planning, etc. "Keep it Simple", is my main theme, and I'm not much interested in plumbing and holding tanks (I lived in a 34ft 5th wheel for five years). So, a shower wasn't in my most recent plan (lately)... but I had this nagging feeling it really should be! Now that I've see the way you've worked out yours, looks like the shower is going back in. I like what you've done.

(I'm going to have to quit drawing my plans in ink!)

Dave
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:32 pm

I've had some time camping with some various changes and additions so I thought I would do a quick update and review.

First off: After we did a spring over conversion the camper is much higher and a little harder to get into. I was going to mount some folding rv steps underneath to pull out and I still might later. In the meantime these steps from TJ Maxx have worked out well. The only thing I have reservations about is that the step closest to the ground is a little awkward to hit when you are coming down them. The door closure bar acts as a good handrail also.

Next: I found some desk and kitchen organizers at a combination of Ikea and Bed Bath and Beyond. A small hook attaches them to the back wall. They ride well on the roughest of roads but are still easy to remove and clean under etc.

I also need to review some aspects of my shower area. I had planned on enclosing this area but instead I put a bench in.

I did a mockup of enclosing the area, but I like the open feel much better. I also was going to put a panel across the bottom of the bench but decide against it for several reasons. The main one was that I wanted anything that was wet under or behind the bench to dry quickly. I slide my wet wading boots under the bench, hang my waders behind the bench, or the bottom of the shower curtain may be still damp etc.

Here is the bench down with the door mat in --- regular day to day use mode:

Here is the bench flipped up. Either for access to items under or to provide more shower room.

This is a picture of the bench and full shower floor with drain. Since I have been using this there are a couple of things that I am doing. There have been a few times that I have camped with the camper still hooked up to the truck. When I do that the nose is lower, and I need a second drain at the other end of the pad so I will be adding one.

I have also found that not having the shower floor or pan attached to the trailer floor has some real advantages. Not only can I remove it easily, but when the trailer has a slight slant to one side or the other I can just shim the side of the shower pan slightly, and it drains great with out leveling the trailer perfectly.

The shower curtain also hides a "multitude of sins" The main one being this very utilitarian antique backpack that holds a bunch of "Stuff". :shock:

It may not be pretty, but it sure is handy! :R
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Love it! I'm in week 2 of a 4-weeker in MT.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 pm

I forgot to mention that I really love the bench! It is great for putting on or taking off muddy wet shoes or waders. All of the water, sand, mud and gunk stays in the shower pan and is easy to sweep up or wash out.

The frp that the shower pan is made of has also held up amazingly well. Rocks, grit, and dirt don't seem to stain or mar it . It cleans up and look nice with just a wipe of a damp paper towel. Awesome stuff!

Hope the fishing has been great!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Rainier70, Howdy;

Like what you've done to the place. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: for the bench. Not only multi-functional
but also is a looker.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:24 pm

I agree with Hank, the bench is multifunctional and it looks nice either up or down... :applause: :applause:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions