Fuse Plan - Can I do it this way?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Fuse Plan - Can I do it this way?

Postby plectrudis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:01 pm

I've been studying up on wiring, and I could use some help understanding how to decide which components to group together on a fuse.

Here's how it makes intuitive sense to me to do it:

All the stuff that's physically close together in the trailer (the passengers'-side porch light and reading light, for example, or the drivers'-side USB and 12v outlets) share a fuse. This way, they can share a wire, which would presumably provide the most efficient use of wire.

But all the wiring diagrams I'm finding don't do it that way. They group by type: all reading lights together, all porch lights together, all 12v outlets together, and so on. For example, here's an outtake from my current favorite wiring diagram (http://chucksteardropbuild.blogspot.com/2012/07/electrical-diagram.html), and it uses this other approach.

There has to be a reason--why is it better to do it this way? Or does it matter?

Thanks for the help!
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Re: Fuse Plan - Can I do it this way?

Postby pchast » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:24 pm

I find it best to have lights on more than one circuit in the rare
occasion that a fuse blows. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby plectrudis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Excellent point! So you don't see any red flags with this arrangement?
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:01 pm

plectrudis wrote:Excellent point! So you don't see any red flags with this arrangement?

I don't see any problems other than you are going to have to make a junction at some point for those circuits that feed more than one device.

If you went with a fuse box with plenty of fuses like this, each would have it's own fuse and you wouldn't have to solder up and protect your junctions.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Systems-Bla ... B01BXTXV1Q (12 circuit with negative strips and cover)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby plectrudis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:39 pm

That actually brings me to my second question, Tony: I like the recommendations for the Progressive Dynamics 4045. If I get that, will it serve as the fuse box, or will I also need a separate fuse box?

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4045KV-Mighty-Distribution/dp/B002XRU6FM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1468093767&sr=1-1&keywords=Progressive+Dynamics+Mighty+Mini+4045
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm

I would keep the fan on its own circuit separate from lighting and charger/electronic device circuits. Motors have start up current demands and can cause funny feedback issues in certain circumstances. Probably won't be an issue but if I had a choice I would keep them separate.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:37 pm

plectrudis wrote:That actually brings me to my second question, Tony: I like the recommendations for the Progressive Dynamics 4045. If I get that, will it serve as the fuse box, or will I also need a separate fuse box?

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4045KV-Mighty-Distribution/dp/B002XRU6FM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1468093767&sr=1-1&keywords=Progressive+Dynamics+Mighty+Mini+4045

Now you're way over my pay grade!

I'm a 12V guy. (But I think those PD4045 have all your DC circuits protected. Don't know for sure.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:16 pm

plectrudis wrote:That actually brings me to my second question, Tony: I like the recommendations for the Progressive Dynamics 4045. If I get that, will it serve as the fuse box, or will I also need a separate fuse box?

It will serve as a 12V fuse block as well as 120V breaker panel. It will also act as a 3 stage charger for your battery when plugged in to shore power.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby H.A. » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Good practise is to separate types of lighting to different fuses.
But these fuses may protect other non-lighting circuits.
Betterment of safety the point being. A single fuse blowing leaves alternate lighting circuits live. Especially so for interior lighting.
Examples, If primary interior lighting fails, One could switch on a reading lamp & avoid being totally in the dark.
Or depending on ones layout & use of luminaires, Splitting the interior to left & right side circuits. One circuit failure leaves the other side operational.
That example of Galley lighting shared with 12Vgalley sockets is poor practise.
An overload of a galley socket (which is very plausible), may unexpectedly put the galley dark.

Much like cars have lighting on different circuits to prevent a total blackout in the event one circuit fails.
Build a camper to similar regards.
Last edited by H.A. on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Plan on more than you think you need :thumbsup: Our PD4045 has 14 12v fuses and I am using them all. charging cell phones, lap top, iPad... they all add up.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby plectrudis » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Great information--thanks, all!

KC, good point about the fan--I can definitely do that.

Martin, thanks for the clarification on the PD4045--that's good news. Does it also serve as a ground block, or will I need a separate one of those?

H.A., if I've understood you correctly, my plan to separate the cabin interior lights by drivers' side versus passengers' side is fine; I just need to adjust my plan for the galley. Your point about tripping the 12v outlet makes sense--I'll fix that.

ShadowCatcher, I suspect you're right. This was supposed to be a simple electrical system to accommodate my newness to working with electricity. But when I draw in the wiring paths on my trailer, it looks like rainbow-colored spaghetti. Keeping It Simple Stupid is harder than it sounds.
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:21 am

plectrudis wrote:Great information--thanks, all!
Martin, thanks for the clarification on the PD4045--that's good news. Does it also serve as a ground block, or will I need a separate one of those?

Yes you'll need a ground block. I ran a doubled 10 gauge ground (its what I had on hand) from the battery to ground block and tied my negatives back to the ground block.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby plectrudis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:44 am

:thumbsup:

Thanks, Martin
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets