cooling with 12VDC computer fan(s)

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Bob Hammond » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi, while I'm working the cabin, I'm thinking about ventilation schemes.

Instead of cutting a hole through the roof and placing an expensive RV fan, I'm thinking about placing a Wiley Window or two high up on the sidewalls, and then placing a 12VDC computer cooling fan down low or through the deck. Computer fans are quiet and inexpensive, if not free by scavenging a curbside computer. i see one online that moves up to 240 CFM, and so the air inside a nominal 4'x4'x8' box (128 CF) volume would be exchanged at least once per minute.

Other options with computer fans that might be desirable would be that the rate could be adjusted, and that 2-4 of these small fans could be placed for individual needs, e.g one person likes more or less fresh air than the other.

Has this been done already?
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Re: cooling with 12VDC computer fan(s)

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Since I didn't feel comfortable cutting a hole in my trailer's roof, I mounted a computer fan in an existing vent above the door.

I found one that had 3 speeds, providing about 30, 45, and 60 CFM. The high setting is too noisy for me to sleep with but it's great for getting the hot air out of the trailer when I first get into camp (my trailer is brown).

I run the fan 24/7/365 to keep the interior of my trailer fresh and mold free even when it's in storage, outdoors in a carport.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bob Hammond » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. think this will work just fine.

I'm not familiar with the seasonal weather in your location, but here in Michigan we definitely have four seasons. i wonder if a constantly running fan would be effective here for storage. I was thinking to put a trouble light with a 60 incandescent lightbulb to heat and thus dry the interior during storage. I estimate that would cost about $4-5/month.
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Bob Hammond wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply. think this will work just fine.

I'm not familiar with the seasonal weather in your location, but here in Michigan we definitely have four seasons. i wonder if a constantly running fan would be effective here for storage. I was thinking to put a trouble light with a 60 incandescent lightbulb to heat and thus dry the interior during storage. I estimate that would cost about $4-5/month.

A light bulb and a fan to circulate the air sounds like an ideal way to keep your interior dry during the off season.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 am

Made some vents tubes with removable caps from PVC and small fan to draw in air.

Pic inside fan [upper corner].

Roof vent with PWM contoller.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:08 pm

I use two 80 mm three speed Antec case fans work well
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Pixie Susan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm getting ready to make a vent fan and I'm thinking about using 2 of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11317 ... 0-AKS.html

It's a tad more than I was wanting to spend on fans, but they are reversible as well as variable speed. They're the only computer fans I've been able to find that are reversible.

Of course I thought about using a 7" slimline reversible radiator fan, but I can't find anyone who has experience with it (i.e. noise level).

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/electric ... -1024.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:07 pm

PS I like that case fan and from personal experience it is seldom you will be using full speed. The radiator fan, they do not care about noise and way more air volume that you will want or use. I would also be concerned with current draw.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:41 pm

I know it is more money. But they really work good and are complete. Just install and a couple of wires. low noise and low power drain.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-RV-Ro ... VG&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-14-X-14-RV- ... 1152000349
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pixie Susan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:47 pm

KennethW wrote:I know it is more money. But they really work good and are complete. Just install and a couple of wires. low noise and low power drain.

May as well say $150 with the Fantastic because I AM getting the reverse function. If love to have one but I'm not paying that when I already have a vent and we'll probably upgrade campers in the next year or two. And I've read a number of cases where people opted out of the Fantastic on subsequent builds. The power draw doesn't mean much to me right now. I'm only running 110v and am on shore power, so I'm going to have to go inexpensive on this. Plus it lets me dork out!

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pixie Susan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:02 am

Ugh, who knows? I may buy a Vortex II replacement fan and install it. At $72, it has 3 speed and reverse. Every time I get close to deciding, I find something else and become undecided again.

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:21 am

I went with a 3-speed computer fan in an existing ventilation port because I didn't want to cut a hole in the roof of my trailer. I was not confident that I could keep it weather-tight for as long as I own the trailer. My trailer has not leaked in 68 years, and I have no intention of creating something that might leak in the next 10!

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:16 am

Pixie Susan wrote:
KennethW wrote:I know it is more money. But they really work good and are complete. Just install and a couple of wires. low noise and low power drain.

May as well say $150 with the Fantastic because I AM getting the reverse function. If love to have one but I'm not paying that when I already have a vent and we'll probably upgrade campers in the next year or two. And I've read a number of cases where people opted out of the Fantastic on subsequent builds. The power draw doesn't mean much to me right now. I'm only running 110v and am on shore power, so I'm going to have to go inexpensive on this. Plus it lets me dork out!

The fans I posted are reversable.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pixie Susan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:39 am

KennethW wrote:
Pixie Susan wrote:

The fans I posted are reversable.

For that price on the Fantastic, I wish it were so, but that's the 1200 model. It's the only one that's not reversible. I had originally looked into it. I really wish Fantastic made a retrofit fit conversion instead of having to take your pre-existing vent completely out.

I didn't look at the pics on that second one close enough yesterday. That's the Heng's Vortex II I was talking about in the earlier post. It's a definite option. I hear they're a bit loud and I wonder in my tiny space if that would be too much.

Decisions decisions

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pixie Susan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:04 am

This is my crude preliminary solution. It's a 120mm case fan and moves 99 cfm. Worked great last week. I would run it as exhaust during the day and then flip it over and have it blowing at night. Adjustable speed knob, plugs to AC power. $25. Done.

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets