Little Ferdie's Wiring Plan

Anything electric, AC or DC

Little Ferdie's Wiring Plan

Postby plectrudis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 am

Okay, now that I've gotten some advice on the fuse plan (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66560) & adjusted appropriately, I'd love some feedback on the overall wiring plan.

Things to note: the colored lines only sort of vaguely represent where the wires will be located in the final system. I'm on the fence about solar (shown in green). If I can manage the other parts without too much pain, I may be emboldened to try solar. Money, of course, is also a factor. I will probably install wires for a 120VAC in the galley, but probably won't actually hook it up. Again, depends on the ease of install of the base system, which is 12v + charger/maintainer/selector + air conditioner.

The "Fuse Panel" box shows the fuse elements in the PD 4045 charger/maintainer/etc.
The "Power Station" box is blown up to show the battery and friends, which will be kept in the galley.

Questions:
  • Do I have the 120v and 12v master switches in the right places?
  • Do I have any extraneous or redundant parts?
  • If I decide against solar, I just omit the solar controller and solar panel, right? Everything else stays the same?
  • Have I got the arrangement between the solar controller and the charger/maintainer right?
  • Any red flags?

BIGGER VERSION HERE: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ff/ad/c3/ffadc3354fbd63469ac0c9760d38707b.png

Thank you!!
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Re: Little Ferdie's Wiring Plan

Postby plectrudis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Quick update--I fixed a couple of minor errors on the diagram.

Version 2.1 posted full size here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2a/d1/93/2ad193a6c5457ba2316f07f88368a751.png

If you have any suggestions at all, I'd be grateful. (Or if something's unclear. "What the bleep is that?!?" is also a useful response. If a bit terse.) :R
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby H.A. » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:13 pm

[*]Do I have the 120v and 12v master switches in the right places?
[*]Do I have any extraneous or redundant parts?
[*]If I decide against solar, I just omit the solar controller and solar panel, right? Everything else stays the same?
[*]Have I got the arrangement between the solar controller and the charger/maintainer right?
!

Your 120vac mainswitch & fuse could be handy but not really needed.
The inlet or where plugged into shorepower serves as a main disconnect.
If you do utilise this switch, its best if its a doublepole switch wired to disconnect both energised conductors of the shorepower source.
That 20amp mainfuse is sort of redundant. PD4045 if assembled as intended utilises a main circuitbreaker as well as space for other circuitbreakers, of which can serve airconditioner and kitchen circuits.
Btw,
If you install 120vac receptacles, they should be GFCI protected...

12vdc mainswitch is optional.
On newer versions of PD4045, there is provision to connect mainswitch directly to terminals within its enclosure. Your oneline drawing is not really inaccurate, excepting the line "to trailer" is sort of redundant.

You might consider a mainfuse directly at battery. Depending on construction materials & placements, many installations its fairly safe to omit this. But included is never a bad idea...

To omit solar, nothing else changes.
If you do incorporate solar, there are two common connection methods.
1, connect charging output of solar controller directly to battery( be sure to add appropriate fuse for this circuit directly close to battery as possible. ) this method applies solar charging anytime sunshine is present.
2, connect charging output of solar to one of the fused outputs of the 4045.
Some claim to do this, I dont. I can forsee benefits & detriments to this configuration.
It eliminates the additional fuseholder of method 1, but wont charge if 12v mainswitch is "off".
Also, if 12v mainswitch is off, solar charger may try to keep the 12v circuits energised. Depending on type of solar controller, this may or not be harmful to the solar.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby plectrudis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:31 am

That's great, H.A.! Thanks so much for the detailed response!

I must say, I'm liking the sound of this PD4045 more all the time--esp if it lets me subtract a few items from my diagram.

Thanks for the reminder about the GFCIs--I'll be sure to do that.

The mainfuse you suggest at the battery would be something like a 100amp fuse--is that right?

Cheers
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby H.A. » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:57 pm

The mainfuse you suggest at the battery would be something like a 100amp fuse--is that right?

Right, Since max DC output of a PD4045 powersupply is supposed to be 45 amp, I suggest dont exceed 50amp fuse at the battery source.

If you install an inverter, That should be a fused circuit all to its self, directly to your battery.

Btw, when I say "fuse", thats just shorthand for fuse or circuitbreaker, take your pick...
H.A.
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets