Tire clearance on deckover

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tire clearance on deckover

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:27 pm

I am having an issue with a deck over trailer, and have been trying to find out how much wheel travel should be allowed for with a deck over trailer?? With torsion axles and with axles with springs??

This one I bought has a torsion axle and with the weight on it in the pics the tire is touching the frame. I have contacted the dealer that I purchased from and will see if they have any resolution to this issue because it's not even loaded close to max yet. I don't have much faith that they will fix the problem without getting a lawyer so want to figure out a fix before hunting season starts. My intent is to build a foamie type cargo trailer on it in the future.

CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Re: Tire clearance on deckover

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 pm

The cross member is directly above the tire, would moving the axle so the wheel had another 3" of travel fix it or would it still hit the deck?? The other option is to put a standard axle with springs and a 15" wheel under there....any advice or suggestions?

CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:03 am

I'm wondering if they didn't put larger tires on those rims. Obviously something isn't right.

I attach my fenders after the teardrop cabin is bolted down and leave 4" of travel. That's with a Dexter matched to the weight of the teardrop and a 22.5ยบ down angle.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks Tony. They asked me to take the load off and take some pictures with the trailer empty....and there is only about 1" of clearance between the rubber and the frame, I am sure there was more than that when I brought it home. I suspect there is something wrong with the axles and the manufacturer has requested pics of the clearance and the angle of the torsion arms...
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby CanuckShooter » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Lots of views, but few responses????

Now they want to modify the frame to get the clearance....but I am wondering if the axle itself has failed?? Anyone know how much the swing arm should move under a load??
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Anyone know how much the swing arm should move under a load??

Back in my "what Dexter axle do I need" period, I found a Dexter document that shows the drop angles. You'll have to figure out which axle it is first... Dunno if it's stamped or should have an old sticker on it. There are different start angles you can buy.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600 ... mation.pdf

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks Tony, I also sent an email to the axle manufacturer....see what they have to say.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets