city/gravity water connection help

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

city/gravity water connection help

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Alright guys, I need a little guidance on the plumbing/water supply side of my CTC conversion. I've done my share of plumbing before but never had to deal with a gravity/city water connection. My actual plumbing will be real simple. The only fixtures are a kitchen sink, a outside shower and tankless water heater. The city side is what I'm unsure of so please correct me if I'm wrong. I know the gravity line comes in straight from the inlet box to the water tank. The outlet from the tank goes to the filter and then to the pump. From the outlet side of the pump I tee off to my faucet, outside shower and water heater.
Here's where I'm unsure. Is this where I also bring in my city water line since it has pressure on it (passed the pump outlet) ? They say my Shurflo pump has a check valve in it so is another check valve needed?

Thanks for the help

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Re: city/gravity water connection help

Postby starleen2 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:48 am

yes, past the pump, but before the tee to the faucet, water heater, shower, etc. I would install another quality check valve after the pump to close off the gravity system against city water pressure. if not then you'll need a some sort of valve to prevent the city pressure from filling your tank and overflowing out the filler neck! Some folks just install a ball valve cut off - but you have to remember to close the valve each time to switch between systems, thus a good check valve, back flow preventer is needed. Here is the install sequence: outlet tank>filter>pump>check valve/ backflow preventer> city inlet>Tee>faucet, water heater, shower, etc. You mentioned the pump has a check valve, but I would install another - seen too many built in's fail.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: city/gravity water connection help

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:11 am

starleen2 wrote:yes, past the pump, but before the tee to the faucet, water heater, shower, etc. I would install another quality check valve after the pump to close off the gravity system against city water pressure. if not then you'll need a some sort of valve to prevent the city pressure from filling your tank and overflowing out the filler neck! Some folks just install a ball valve cut off - but you have to remember to close the valve each time to switch between systems, thus a good check valve, back flow preventer is needed. Here is the install sequence: outlet tank>filter>pump>check valve/ backflow preventer> city inlet>Tee>faucet, water heater, shower, etc. You mentioned the pump has a check valve, but I would install another - seen too many built in's fail.

Thanks starleen,
I thought I was on the right track but had never had to hook up both city and gravity lines. I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the city connection was after the pump but wanted to verify it. I tried to research the process before asking but found so little information and only found one video on You know who tube discussing how they ran their lines that I had to ask. I'm at the point in my build now where I'm ready to start running waterlines . Thanks for the confirmation once again.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets