7x12 - We are the Argonauts...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

7x12 - We are the Argonauts...

Postby markeyro » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 am

Here we go.

So we've got this 7x12 CT coming our way, signed off on drawings this am. But first the backstory.

The Argosy. If you google 1978 Argosy Travel Trailer, you'll find something like this:

Well, I picked up one of these beauties with dreams of greatness (ever had those) for a steal of a deal back about 3 or 4 years ago. Dreams of gettin her all fixed up, real nice like. I wasn't naive to the money it would take, but didn't really feel through the realitites of life vs. trailer vs. storage vs. where can i work on this thing?

So it sat in storage. Fast forward. I sold it 3 days ago. Would have been great, but I'm hopeful it will be someone else's great now.

I live in a neighborhood. One that wouldn't have been super duper excited about the 30' Argosy in the driveway for 2-4 years (we won't discuss wife here). Anyways, as I've gone back and forth on this dream for the past few years, I stumbled across teardrops, awesome. Expedition Trailers, awesomer. And finally to CT conversions, (and to fit my needs, I hope, awesomest). See I'm 6'4", have a 5'2" wifey, 2 little squirt kids and a dog Rosie, who we ridiculously love. She just ate some of my breakfast, don't judge. I am good with wood, electrical, plumbing, have done lots and lots of remodeling and am not afraid to get myself into it deep. But the CT conversion idea. Wow. It really hit me. Keep it in the driveway to work on, looks good on the outside, it's close so I can work on it, doesn't require me to weld anything or have the unknowns of a nearly 40 year old travel trailer, can work on it in stages, doesn't break the bank...... on and on.

So, I'm pretty pumped.

Here's where I'm aiming:
- We want a basecamp, not a home replacement
- We have an annoying yet real eye for a clean, modern aesthetic
- We need to sleep me and my wife (full) and 2 boys (bunks)
- We want a toilet in this thing.
- We/She acquiesced to a outdoor shower.
- We'll plan on cooking/eating outside primarily with the option of being able to do it inside in a pinch.

I've got some preliminary sketchups... Beds Up and Beds Down View...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8tGn6Zm4nerLVZMeWV6TVR3V3dYMnNwbUdDdGJmYURWZXpF

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8tGn6Zm4nerdUVnTEx3T3NISDg1T2hiTzRGZ3d0SVlOWGRZ

(guess i'll have to figure out how to get those inline, anyways)

I'll be looking for all the great wisdom floating around out there and will keep the fun coming.

Thanks in advance for being a wicked awesome, dreaming community, hope to contribute myself...
Muncie, Indiana
2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab w/ Towing Package

Build Link: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66345&p=1175575#p1174775
Husband. Father. Jesus Lover. Backpacker. Hiker. Nerd. Gadgeteer. West Lover. Dreamer. Mistakemaker. Tryagainer.
markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Re: 7x12 - We are the Argonauts...

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09 am

Welcome! Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

The first thing that comes to mind is that even though a CT may be all shiny and new, that doesn't mean that it will automatically be without some issues. Check flboy's conversion to see what I mean. Leaky rivets in the roof, side walls that aren't attached at the base, all manner of sloppy workmanship that could result in water damage. Not to rain on your parade (pun intended), just saying that you may have some work to do even if you start with a "new" trailer.

I have a neighbor that had a relatively new small-ish CT for sale and it already had water stains on the wood deck. Shortly after that he now keeps a dreaded blue tarp over it, same as his big Class-C. I have resolved that all commercial campers/trailers/RV's leak.

Just saying, the only way to really be sure (and even then it can be a crap shoot) is to build it yourself, or in your case, go over everything with a fine tooth comb and do a soak test prior to starting the interior.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby markeyro » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:16 am

Great advice! Thanks for that, and I'll now be sure to give it the serious soaker test" before getting going too hot and heavy. Rivet gun at the ready.

That said, I sure hope I can trust the frame to come not rusted out and separating on me!! But I'll give it a good look over too.

Again, good advice, appreciate the wisdom.
Muncie, Indiana

Husband. Father. Jesus Lover. Backpacker. Hiker. Nerd. Gadgeteer. West Lover. Dreamer. Mistakemaker. Tryagainer.
markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gettin Started » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:43 pm

If you want additional confidence against a leaky roof, apply a gallon of Henry 587 roof coating. For around $30 at home depot, it will keep your trailer cooler and help protect against leaks.
Gettin Started
Teardrop Advisor

Postby markeyro » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby markeyro » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Hey there, I'm back, and wanted to throw up a couple of the sketchups i've been working on for my CTC.

I'm currently patiently (or not so patiently) waiting on our trailer to arrive so that I can get to work! So here's where I'm thinking of going with this little fella:
- Fixed Sofa for sleeping, sitting, and storage, for boy 1
- Small Bunk over Sofa which folds into wall, for boy 2
- Full Bed opposite wall which folds down murphy style to sleep my wife and I.
- At this point I'm planning on using the nose of the trailer to house some storage, a little bathroom/shower (eventually) and all things electrical (charger/converter/battery/ everything will converge here.)

142767 142766
142765 142764

The first thing I'll be doing when I get her here will be to wire and insulate her, or insulate and wire her. Seems like they go pretty much hand in hand. Planning on the pink/blue board approach, use a bunch of the spray foam to help secure those panels and to fill gaps. Any profound thoughts people have on the need to run runners/stringers across the sidewall studs to attach your interior panels to? I understand thermal bridging is maybe a reason. Room for more insulation. Any other big reasons? Is it difficult to screw into those vertical studs? Just curious and trying to plan out the approach.

Also looking for any pointers on insulating the floor and rear ramp? I was planning on doing 3/4" x 3" stringers on the floor with foamboard between. Then 3/8" OSB on top, covered in that rubber coin stamp type flooring over the entire floor.

Finally floor first, then walls, and ceiling
OR
Walls, floor, ceiling?

Any other pre-planning you wished you'd have done while you were waiting to get started?

Thanks again,
Mark
Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby markeyro » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Got the call today that our trailer is ready. Pumped to go pick it up. Hope to grab it on Wednesday morning.

Any pointers or advice when I go grab it?

I'll be looking over it with a fine tooth comb obviously, checking underneath, AL exterior for scratches, hinges, handles, hitch.

What am I missing?

Thanks! And hopefully next post will be some shiny pics of this new little guy!
Mark
Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Unless you specified a clean exterior surface, don't be surprised if there are some minor surface imperfections in the aluminum. You know, just the regular stuff from handling, dragging across saw table, jig table, MIG weld splatter/clean up, etc.

If your fabricator is good and took care, then it might look pretty good, maybe even cleaned up with a flap wheel, but I wouldn't try to nit-pick every little nick and ding... unless you specified a buffed, brushed or :frightened: polished finish.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby markeyro » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 am

Good to know, thanks! I'll try not to be toooo difficult. No one likes that guy. :)

Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby markeyro » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Postponed the pickup till Monday of next week. Then it hits. The boxes from amazon are steadily flowing in and the wife is getting excited. Good signs!

Now if we can just get our boat starter to behave!

Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby markeyro » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Got her!

Picked up our trailer today! I think it looks pretty sharp, and it pulls very easily begins my 1/4 ton chevy silverado. Eager to get to work!

Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby markeyro » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Got started today after work. Maybe I'll sweat off some pounds working on this thing, which would be a bonus! I got all of the interior paneling off and labeled without too much trouble or pain from the dreaded mini-staples!

Anyways, here are some pics.

Tomorrow insulation!

This last shot is of some disappointing rust on one of the cross members up in the v portion. Is that kind of thing normal? I'm going to take a brush to it and hit it with some primer, but seems like it shouldn't start out rusty.

Comments and tips welcome as always, it's inspiring to follow your projects and I'm thrilled to get to start mine.

Cheers,
Mark

Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:32 am

They figure you will never see under the skin so they grab a rusty rib from the bottom of the pile and install it without even thinking about it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, a little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything. BTW, congratulations on the new ct! :applause: I'm looking forward to watching your build.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby markeyro » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks. Yeah that's kind of what i figured. More annoyed than anything. Oh well on and up! Insulation day today.

Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Postby markeyro » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Got about 1/3 through insulation today. I'm in the phase where things move quickly. Soon the slower stuff comes I presume.

Any feedback on how to insulate the two corners by the back ramp? Stuff fiberglass? Spray foam? Also the open channels facing into the trailer.

mark
Muncie, Indiana

markeyro
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals