ClimateRight keeps breaking

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby guodnacnud » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:39 am

Has anybody else had this problem, and how did you fix it?

I bought the 2500btu ClimateRight in April 2014 for a Little Guy 4 wide. I pre-ordered the unit and it was delivered with a sub-100 serial number. I tested it at home on line power and on Honda EU2000 generator and it worked fine. I hauled it in my mid-size SUV on a 1200 mile trip soon after but didn't use it and it again worked fine when I got home. I then drove 700 miles to Alabama in July (again in my SUV, not on the tongue) and it wouldn't work on arrival. The compressor would come on when the desired temperature was set below ambient, but the unit would not cool. I contacted ClimateRight and they immediately sent me a new unit. This unit has a sub-400 serial number.

I tested the unit several days after delivery (per ClimateRight instructions to wait 24 hours) and it worked fine. I again tested it this summer on line power and generator for 3 hours with no problem. I then drove 900 miles to Missouri in July and the unit was again dead on arrival. Fan would work and the compressor would come on but it would not cool.

Here is ClimateRight's response to my complaint:
~~~~~~~~
If the unit tested fine before both trips but once you reached your destination it did not I am guessing that something is going on during transport possibly. The compressor will turn on and off as needed to maintain the climate of the inside area being cooled. If you are setting the unit to be just below ambient temperature and the inside temp is around the temp that you set then the compressor will shut off. With this being a circulation system, once the air from the inside area is circulated through the machine and needs to be cooled the compressor will turn back on to do what it needs to do. In the cool mode the fan will run continuous in order for the air to properly circulate through the machine and over the thermostat.

Unfortunately your warranty period has expired as it follows the date of the original purchase of April 28, 2014.
~~~~~~~~

My diagnosis is that ClimateRight is correct - during transport the "something" that is happening is that vibration in transport (in my late-model SUV) cracks a coolant line and I have lost coolant, preventing the unit from working.

Again, has anybody else had this problem and what did you do about it?

Many thanks!
guodnacnud
Teardrop Inspector

Re: ClimateRight keeps breaking

Postby guodnacnud » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Update:

Now the compressor won't even kick on. The same condition as the first one I had. I pulled the cover off and can see no obvious damage. I also did not see any Schrader valves on the coolant lines that would allow me to test the unit.
guodnacnud
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pixie Susan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Whatever happened with this? Mine stopped working a few days into my Outer Banks trip. One night it worked and the next it wouldn't cool. I could feel a little oil on the underside. We just got home so I haven't taken it apart yet to look at it. It's not under warranty, so I'm not bothering with the company to fix it.

This was my quick fix:

Don't underestimate a sweaty woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 am

My old $66.00 6000 BTU Frigidaire window shaker is on it's 5th year.

When it is not camping it's in the window cooling a room or two at home. Is there a chance your unit is freezing up. When I am camping I choose to draw ambient outside air as the recycle air instead of drawing the cooled air inside to be re-cooled. I only deliver the cold air to the inside of the tiny trailer.

Is your unit working again when tested at home?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Pixie Susan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 am

Definitely wasn't freezing. I've had to go back to work today, but hoping to hook it up and retest this week.

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pixie Susan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:49 pm

bobhenry wrote:My old $66.00 6000 BTU Frigidaire window shaker is on it's 5th year.

When it is not camping it's in the window cooling a room or two at home. Is there a chance your unit is freezing up. When I am camping I choose to draw ambient outside air as the recycle air instead of drawing the cooled air inside to be re-cooled. I only deliver the cold air to the inside of the tiny trailer.

Is your unit working again when tested at home?

No, it's not cooling at all. I took the cover off and have been inspecting the lines for a pin hole. The oil splatter can be seen. Still undetermined for now if it's the compressor or in the lines. My guess with this model, based on posts I've seen on other forums, is the compressor.

Stay tuned...

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets