Gas mileage ?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re:

Postby haha49 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:26 pm

stevem50 wrote:the weight issue has been bouncing around in my head lately, more so as i read more about mike's giant foamy. i'm trying to shave lbs off my 4x10 woody to ease strain on my car climbing mountain roads. i'm only at 1100lbs fully loaded, but think how much better the mileage and performance if i could have another 2-300 lbs lighter...

Not much. It's drag ie height and width that will kill mileage. Make it skinny like a cigar tube then you will see better results. Think like moving through water put the wood length wise it slips through go width wise it's hard to push. Width and height equals more drag
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Re: Gas mileage ?

Postby gudmund » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 pm

2007 Chev Colorado 3.7litre 5cyl Auto w/cab level canopy towing 4x8 1200 lb Tear 13000 miles so far = 18.1 mpg average - without the trailer, 6000 miles average about 18.5 mpg - about 18.3 mpg overall since owning it. Sometime on a level freeway run I may see 21/22 mpg w/Trailer or not. Back roads up and down about 17 to 19 with or out. The trailer for the most part is in the shadow of the truck - no bigger no less, has a nice even level height with the truck and canopy. This truck has twice the power and torque of the "base" model 2000 S-10 2.2litre 4cyl-5sp I was using before which did alright, all things considered. It would get 25/29 mpg without the trailer and 22/24 mpg with the trailer but you definitely knew you were towing a trailer being it felt like it was tugging something, used to just look for a semi to hide behind and sit it out. Would probably be getting better MPG with the Colorado if I was still practicing the S-10 style of driving but with the power difference, it is just so much easier to cruse on by and do the speed limit.
gudmund
The 300 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:56 am

Quick update with the 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier. Had to follow a maniac with a Mini towing at 75 mph last weekend, 17.5 mpg on the outbound leg. On the way home did the usual 65-70 & mileage went back up to 20.5 again.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:34 pm

slows into dodge cummins kinda into desile power any more. with a wore out suv wth 4 grand on it. I find cumins can make 20 where its 15 or less on a gas v 6.........any more its a toss up when I want lockable storage compared to the trucks flatbed. slow
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Gas mileage ?

Postby Originalspacerob » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 am

Stumbled across this thread by accident. Great info on the vehicles.
My current tow vehicle is a 2011 Subaru Forester 5sp manual. I get 23-24mpg mixed driving and 20-21mpg towing a 1300 lb. teardrop with mixed driving. The teardrop is about 8" taller than tje forester and its track and width is the same.
Next week will be our first long highway drive with it thru upstate New York so I will update once we see how the highway does thru the mountains.

UPDATE:
We did our first real camping trip with the teardrop 2 weeks ago to Lockport NY. The highway drive up was a combination of flats and hills. We were mostly climbing on the way there. The car averaged 18-19 mpg with the two of us, our springer spaniel and the fully loaded teardrop. About 1600 lbs on the trailer. On the way home we did average 20 mpg for a short period of time. It towed just fine and only a few times did i have to downshift from 5th gear going up larger hill. The speed ranged from 60-70 mph, but mostly tried to stay at 65.
Last edited by Originalspacerob on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Originalspacerob
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 am

On the recent 4,100 miles the average was 20.26 mpg, towing with the 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby yrock87 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:20 pm

Not trying to discourgage the conversation because that is what forums like this are for. but my thought on the MPG question is, "does it matter what your MPG is towing your TD"? I would venture that really the answer is no. who cares if it costs you an extra $2 in gas over your 300 mile weekend trip? who cares if it costs an extra $10? it is easier and cheaper than buying a new car to tow a full size TT or 5th wheel.

My dad bought a brand new mustang a few years back. he had been waiting for 20 years to replace the Maverick he sold when I was born. showing off the car to his coworkers the first day he drove it. somebody asked "what kind of millage does it get" his answer was " I don't know, I don't care. It puts a smile on my face."

I imagine that most feel the same way the first time they drag their TD with their daily driver, to camping spots that 40ft 5th wheels would never be able to venture.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 pm

You are quite right. :thumbsup:

Its also interesting to note the effect of different tow setups
and the numbers resulting too.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:02 am

I do not let the gas cost affect my decision to travel. Especially at today's under $2 cost per gallon. But it is good to know so if you have choice of vehicles, choice of route or other similar conditions, you can make a decision based on cost. We keep track of our cost to build do we not?
We also many times use cost criterias for choosing one material or technique over another.
So I see it as just a part of the overall process/experience.

Now, would we be saying the same at $5 per gallon or for sure with gas rationing. For those old enough to remember the 70's will relate to that.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 pm

2015 F-150 SuperCrew, 4x4 with the new 2.7L EcoBoost.

Unloaded highway between 26-29 MPG @ 60-70mph
Fully loaded for tent camping with both bikes on the rack, all camping gear, 2 giant coolers full of food/water/beer/ice and half the bed full of firewood ~26 MPG.
Haven't built my trailer yet, but towing a 4x8 loaded down with wood was about 22-24 MPG on the highway doing 60-65 MPH.

The EcoBoost is great on gas as long as you don't mash the pedal, otherwise the turbos spool up and drink up all the gas :frightened:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:00 pm

yrock87 wrote:Not trying to discourgage the conversation because that is what forums like this are for. but my thought on the MPG question is, "does it matter what your MPG is towing your TD"? I would venture that really the answer is no. who cares if it costs you an extra $2 in gas over your 300 mile weekend trip? who cares if it costs an extra $10? it is easier and cheaper than buying a new car to tow a full size TT or 5th wheel.

My dad bought a brand new mustang a few years back. he had been waiting for 20 years to replace the Maverick he sold when I was born. showing off the car to his coworkers the first day he drove it. somebody asked "what kind of millage does it get" his answer was " I don't know, I don't care. It puts a smile on my face."

I imagine that most feel the same way the first time they drag their TD with their daily driver, to camping spots that 40ft 5th wheels would never be able to venture.

So, I care... I average 33-35 with the car without the TD (Scion XD 5 speed manual) and about 25-27 with the TD depending on speeds and roads. This means our recent 1000 mile jaunt on a 3.5 day weekend with kids, ran us about $90 in gas, $100 in groceries, and $100 in souviners, and camping spots (that we had to pay for).

Good family fun on a vacation with the two biggest kids for under $300? beats the heck outta any other type of vacation I can find. Now, when we do 5k in our long trip next year, it will REALLY make a difference
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Silver » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:13 pm

I am using a 2011 VW Golf TDI to tow the 1680 lbs fully loaded Tear with electric trailer brakes. Fuel economy drops from 40 to 45 mpg not towing to 30 or 28 mpg towing. The trailer is taller than the Golf. Economy depends on how fast I run it uphill. Golf has no issue towing the trailer uphill at 90 mph at a steady ~ 2700 rpm in 5th gear (manual). If I behave myself and stay below 75 - 80 mph the economy is better at ~32mpg. Now I will be searching for replacement since it appears VW is pulling the Diesels back and there are no new ones from what I know so far.
Silver
Teardrop Inspector

Re:

Postby Adirondackersouth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 am

asianflava wrote:In general, the larger the vehicle/engine the less it is affected by the trailer. We've towed our extensively with both our vehicles. With my wife's 4-cyl Highlander it drops from 24-25mpg to around 19. My V8 Tundra gets around 17-18mpg drops down to 16.

Hello Teardropper,
So my 6 cylinder Highlander that gets 24 highway will get something like 21 mpg. I can deal with that I think. I shall consider that in my plans. Finally last month I found a 1965 Cox pop-up trailer body to start my teardrop ideas. Now I have my Adirondack Teardrop dimensions cut out for me
10 x 6.5 x 6
Total width 81"
Inside wheel wells 54"
The deck boards are 96"
Front of boards to bumper is 106"
Total length 124"

Wider is heavier but I maybe able to construct this light and strong with fiberglass over wood, like a boat.

What do you think?

David
Ashland, VA 8)
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:17 pm

haha49 wrote:
stevem50 wrote:the weight issue has been bouncing around in my head lately, more so as i read more about mike's giant foamy. i'm trying to shave lbs off my 4x10 woody to ease strain on my car climbing mountain roads. i'm only at 1100lbs fully loaded, but think how much better the mileage and performance if i could have another 2-300 lbs lighter...

Not much. It's drag ie height and width that will kill mileage. Make it skinny like a cigar tube then you will see better results. Think like moving through water put the wood length wise it slips through go width wise it's hard to push. Width and height equals more drag

I have towed a bunch of different trailers with a small car and can tell you weight hardly makes a difference, its all wind resistance.
That 2-300 pounds on the trailer will save you the same amount of gas that not taking an extra passenger would. Almost negligable. Its all in the aerodynamics.
This trailer below weighs 900 pounds or so. Lawn mower, car engine and a bunch of steel rims. Plus the car was filled with heavy stuff too. 26 us mpg like this. Going through huge hills keeping my speed as close to 65mph as possible. If i take that plywood off? An even 40mpg. The car gets 44 empty.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Just in addition to the above, its not just frontal area of the trailer either, aerodynamics is more than that. I also towed a 5x8x8 u-haul that weighed 900 pounds (thats why i put 900 pounds on that utility trailer).
The frontal area of the u-haul was much larger than my plywood but it had rounded edges and was more aerodynamic. It was actually slightly easier to pull.
I was doing a few tests, one was to see if i could overheat the car and another was to see how bad i could get my fuel milage. So i found the biggest hills within a couple hours of where i live and when i said i tried to keep 65mph that means i would quite often put it in 3rd and keep it at 45-5500 rpm up the hill. Impressive gas milage for how i drove i think. There was a stretch of freeway that was over 70mph as well for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles