Comet 2 or 9 cup Coffee Pot

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Comet 2 or 9 cup Coffee Pot

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Claimed some of the old family camping equipment at a recent cleanout and yard sale event, including some aluminum pots, plates and a 9 cup Comet aluminum coffee pot; the one with the wire bail handles suitable for camp fire cooking, not the black Bakelite (?) handle. Well the lid to the coffee pot went missing somewhere along the way (darn), so I went onto e-blasted-bay to see if I could find one.

There were plenty of 7, 9, and even larger 20 cup pots, both with plastic and bail style handles, but I didn’t really want to have two of them, especially with only one lid.

Then I spotted this cute little 2-cup version. It's about 3 or so inches in diameter and maybe 6 or 7 inches tall.

The ad said it was in good condition and looked so in the picture. Apparently I was the only bidder and won it at the opening bid price of $8.99 (…add $12.50 for shipping, ouch).

I figured if it happened to have the same size lid as the 9 cup it would be nice to have both a functioning 2 cup pot as well as a lid for the 9 cup pot. It didn’t work out that way, but that wasn’t a show stopper for me.

Well it arrived and is in very good condition, except after taking out the packing stuff that was crammed into it for shipping I found that the little stand pipe section that roll crimps into the center of the basket (kind of like a rivet is formed) had broken free.

It would probably make good coffee still, if the grinds don’t slip past this breach in the basket, but for the money it shouldn’t be broken. I have notified the seller and am waiting to hear back.

If you have some old derelict Comet coffee pots with a good lid for a 9 cup’er, give me a shout; I’d give a couple few bucks plus shipping.

Note: I am aware of the discussion on whether or not aluminum cookware causes Alzheimer’s. Let’s not make this about that… again. I don’t normally use aluminum cookware and am not sure if I believe the “science” either way; but am sure that it won’t kill me to use once in a blue moon.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Comet 2 or 9 cup Coffee Pot

Postby D.J. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:51 am

People might be hoarding those lids for the same reason that I am. They make great covers for coffee cups. They prevent dust from falling in the cups in the workshop and they prevent the coffee from becoming prematurely cold.

Last edited by D.J. on Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Nice! I can see how the 2 cup lid might fit a coffee mug, but it turns out that the 9 cup lid is much bigger. Just to clarify, I'm looking for a 9 cup lid, or beat up old 9 cup pot with a good lid.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Just a note to say that the seller made good. A full refund with shipping cost included, and they don't even require a return. This was not my intent, but I have no complaints, which I guess is the point of doing business this way. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:15 pm

A little JB Weld ought to fix that right up. The fast setting stuff is good to 400 some degress F. The regular stuff is more like 450 F. Might improve the taste of my coffee. That little 2 cup would fit real nice on a 530 stove.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 pm

I wonder if I can anneal the aluminum, uncurl the pinch and reform it back onto the basket.

I could also just turn a new center post with a flange on the bottom and thread on the inside to take a SS jam nut.

But first I think I'll just try it with it loosely assembled and see if it holds the grounds; it may just work fine as is! ;)

Worst case would be some version of cowboy coffee with a few more grounds in the cup.

The weather is cool enough now that I don't mind switching back to hot coffee. Perhaps tomorrow.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:A little JB Weld ought to fix that right up. The fast setting stuff is good to 400 some degress F. The regular stuff is more like 450 F. Might improve the taste of my coffee. That little 2 cup would fit real nice on a 530 stove.

Randy

I'll second the JB Weld......I could go on and on about the things I have fixed with that stuff. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:18 pm

I once used it on the block of a Cummins truck motor, you know the big Class 8 trucks.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment