truck bed compartmentalization scheme

All about towing and tow vehicles

truck bed compartmentalization scheme

Postby working on it » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:08 pm

OK, my trailer has a weight problem...as noted in this thread, http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56787&p=1086016#p1086016 and this one http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=21&p=1088085. I am attempting to reverse the trend of constantly adding weight, by moving some items to the bed of my TV. Using my bastardized version of angib's immensely useful balance formulae as a checklist, I moved 147 lbs from the trailer to my pickup bed, and still maintained 9.9% tongue weight (down from 10.3%). Since I use a weight distributing hitch anyway, no difference should be apparent during travel. The main object of this exercise is to make the trailer more easily/immediately usable upon arrival at a campsite. Previously, I would have to load and unload tent, canopy, a heavy cooler, side-tables, cookstand, chairs from the interior of the trailer (I designed it that way, but empirical data wins over theory here). I am getting older, and lazier too. I want to be able to remove one or two items from the cabin and be able to hunker down immediately, especially after dark or in inclement weather. So, I moved weather resistant items to the bed of my truck (lacking an enclosure like a topper or large SUV; my HHR would've worked fine for this, if I had built at 1/2 the weight!). I had already built a compartment to transport my cooler (back when I was dragracing) about 8 years ago; it worked fine to keep the cooler locked in place, while I packed miscellaneous racing gear around it, and also served as a secure transport for fuel from the gas station to home. I repainted the treated wood, and refreshed the hardware, then added more sections to transport my camping gear. A place for everything I moved, measured and built to fit each piece. Truly a redneck engineering design, but I'm still working on it.
truck bed reorganization for camping trips.jpg
truck bed reorganization for camping trips.jpg (108.09 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
compartmented pickup bed.jpg
compartmented pickup bed.jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
hardware close-up.jpg
hardware close-up.jpg (70.58 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: truck bed compartmentalization scheme

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:55 am

Good idea!

Simple and easy is the reason many choose a tiny trailer, adding too many extras makes it complicated and hard to enjoy.
A similar issue prompted me to add a roof rack, so each extra thing would have its own place.

Whe do you use/need a weight distribution system?
I'm fully aware of what they are, and do, but I'm curious why you use one?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:11 am

48Rob wrote:...When do you use/need a weight distribution system?
I'm fully aware of what they are, and do, but I'm curious why you use one?

Rob
In another thread, from October 2013, you and others asked me the same thing http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57723&hilit=+weight+distribution#p1043952. My reason is the stability and security I feel it provides with any size/weight/configuration trailer. Just like I never leave home without a spare tire (I have three in my HHR- there's a good reason for that-, also), and always travel with a spare change of clothes in all my vehicles (good reason there, too); I guess I try to overprepare for all eventualities. This goes way back, from when I provided support for my racing team (I started with what I needed, then added as others failed to bring their own...): I took two generators, two battery chargers, 2 air compressors (12vdc and 120vac), portable air tank, several tire gauges (different psi ranges), gas of two different octane ratings (92 and 116), oil and coolant supplies, leak stoppers, radiator caps (8 psi and 16psi), various filters, nuts & bolts & fittings, electrical supplies, multiple jacks, jackstands, tow ropes, trailer tie-downs, 2 spare tire(s) mounted on universal bolt pattern wheels (even dragcars get flats)...everything I anticipated my racing team could possible need. Eventually, other racing teams would come over and borrow from my supplies-the racing fraternity, you know. This mindset has also led me to overbuild my "lightweight 4x8" HA,HA trailer....
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 am

Sorry,

My memory isn't getting any better with age... ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby WoodSmith » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

I made something similar to this (since disassembled and the lumber used elsewhere). When I made mine, I used 2x lumber that matched the height of the wheel wells which allowed me to place 5 foot wide materials flat in the bed (my F150 has about 49 inches between the wheel wells). I often thought that with the addition of some plywood, it would make a great platform on which to place a queen size air mattress. With judicious placement of doors, the under bed area would provide plenty of storage.

I'm right there with you on being "over-prepared" for just about everything. It does lead to weight issues though.

Glen
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:07 am

WoodSmith wrote:I made something similar to this (since disassembled and the lumber used elsewhere). When I made mine, I used 2x lumber that matched the height of the wheel wells which allowed me to place 5 foot wide materials flat in the bed (my F150 has about 49 inches between the wheel wells). I often thought that with the addition of some plywood, it would make a great platform on which to place a queen size air mattress. With judicious placement of doors, the under bed area would provide plenty of storage.

I'm right there with you on being "over-prepared" for just about everything. It does lead to weight issues though.

Glen
I made a "temporary" sleeping platform with some storage underneath, much as you describe, a few years ago when I used a '75 Chevy 1/2 ton as my tow vehicle/utility/winter weather (I would sleepover in it, when stranded at work after ice storms) vehicle. I had a topper covering all, with nice jalousie windows (sold the truck, and gave away the topper-with windows- for free, a month before I decided to build a trailer...I should've kept the windows ). I made the mistake of going fishing using the truck with the platform/underneath storage still intact. The next time I needed to sleep in it, I couldn't...some catfish stink bait had inadvertently been stored in a hidden space, from fall 'til winter (I had not been in the back of it for months). I think it was intentional...I did not bring the stink bait, but a "friend" did.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Time Out » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:35 pm

When my wife and I were still riding our touring motorcycles, I partitioned our Cycle Kamp cargo trailer in much the same way. It kept everything in it's place and prevented things from rolling around. It worked very well for us. That was a long time ago and the fiberglass shell has long ago disintegrated, but I still use the frame and even the same tires now as the basis of a pull behind trailer for my little John Deere lawn tractor or even with my truck. I love to recycle things!

Thanks for reminding us of our many memorable bike trips with that little cargo trailer.

Clyde and Linda
I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down.
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby DeenaB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 pm

48Rob wrote:Sorry,

My memory isn't getting any better with age... ;)

Rob

Ha, I have the old age disorder as well CRS. BTW, wonderful website I'll go back for more. Love the story with ur son, nice.
DeenaB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks Deena :)

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby leafme » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:41 pm

48Rob wrote:Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...

Thanks for the reminder Rob. These words are now posted on my wall in front of my desk... Malcolm :thumbsup:
leafme
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles