Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Postby logman7777 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Kant Wait to see pics of the New Kampmaster Slow.. :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby logman7777 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:15 pm

OK throwing a virtual Log on this smouldering fire.. Any excitement out there on the interwebs :wine:
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Dave Gray » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:15 pm

I just discovered this thread because i have recently been thinking Coleman. I am awaiting delivery of a couple of 502's from EBAY to use while camping with my airplane (to utilize the dual fuel option).

I have a couple of lanterns that I rarely use now. I bought them new in the 1970''s but they are too bright. I think I need a little, red, single mantle lantern.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Welcome on board the Coleman crazy train.

Some of those single mantel red ones can burn your eyes out.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Dave Gray » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:06 pm

I know Randy, they're all too bright for just hanging out. I prefer a full moon and a fire, but I feel the need to have one.

I love to cook outdoors with all mediums. (Read that , playing with fire)

I am also a fan of the Bike Club's rules, both of them!
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dave Gray » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:33 pm

In my previous post I said I felt the need to own one, well I bought it . A 200A of the June 1959 vintage. It has a few character marks on it but it will make a good user. Also, it was born when I was. I think in a few days I will also own another 200A of the 1966 vintage because the top is different, maybe not. After that I will start trying to find projects to refurbish.

So today I go to Wal Mart to buy some Coleman Fuel and guess what, they don't carry it. They had some other brand. Then I go to Rural King and found it and when I was checking out I had to show my ID and the clerk typed my driver's license number into the data base before the transaction could be completed. Geeeesh!

As I have re-found my passion for luxury primitive camping gear, I have been paying attention to what is available at the local level. It appears that Dual Fuel appliances and parts for them are becoming a thing of the past.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby logman7777 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 pm

Unfortunately it is used for making controlled substances so Big Brother is watching. :thumbdown:

Fortunately, a gallon lasts a while so don't worry and get your night sun on. 8)
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Dave Gray » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Welcome on board the Coleman crazy train.

Some of those single mantel red ones can burn your eyes out.

Randy

Somebody tell me the story about the Gold Bond Lantern. There is one for sale on EBAY and the current bid is $665 with four days left. This must be a crazy train.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:16 am

The Gold Bond products were a limited edition type of item that were acquired by collecting gold bond stamps and cashing them in in the early to mid 70's...kinda like the S and H Green stamps, if you are old enough to remember that. The deal with them is, they are very rare as the production runs were only for 7 months total on all the lanterns combined between '71 and '74, The other thing is, because of that, they draw a lot of interest and it's not uncommon to find one that is faked and basically worth no more than any other thrift store lantern or stove. They made 3 lantern models and 2 stove models all between '71 and '74. The Japanese market has been extremely strong for them and they seem to have deep pockets for this stuff. In a word...buyer beware. Just my opinion. Doug

PS...Coleman also made products in a color called "wheat gold" which is a lighter shade of the golden yellow which can be mistaken for a "gold bond" item. You need to know the specific dates of production to help in ID'ing an authentic Gold Bond product.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Nothing here, move along.
Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Dave Gray » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:13 am

doug hodder wrote:The Gold Bond products were a limited edition type of item that were acquired by collecting gold bond stamps and cashing them in in the early to mid 70's...kinda like the S and H Green stamps, if you are old enough to remember that. The deal with them is, they are very rare as the production runs were only for 7 months total on all the lanterns combined between '71 and '74, The other thing is, because of that, they draw a lot of interest and it's not uncommon to find one that is faked and basically worth no more than any other thrift store lantern or stove. They made 3 lantern models and 2 stove models all between '71 and '74. The Japanese market has been extremely strong for them and they seem to have deep pockets for this stuff. In a word...buyer beware. Just my opinion. Doug

PS...Coleman also made products in a color called "wheat gold" which is a lighter shade of the golden yellow which can be mistaken for a "gold bond" item. You need to know the specific dates of production to help in ID'ing an authentic Gold Bond product.

Ok, now that you have gone down the vintage Coleman path here are here are two valuable resources for you.
First is the Coleman Collectors forum with tutorials and many knowledgeable people to help the beginner.
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/
Second is Old Coleman parts. The best place to get old parts.
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php

Thanks for the info Doug. I do remember green stamps. Many businesses of the times used similar tactics to entice loyalty to the brand. I got a lot of free albums from Record Land (or so I believed).

Thanks Eric for the fast track to some valuable links that will assist me with my quest.

In the past few weeks I have gone on a tilt and purchased three 502's and three 200A's, (two red, one green). Now I need to get my feet down.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby logman7777 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Next you will have to get a 3 burner Coleman stove so you can be a High Wide and Handsome member as well.. :thumbsup:
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Dave Gray » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 pm

logman7777 wrote:Next you will have to get a 3 burner Coleman stove so you can be a High Wide and Handsome member as well.. :thumbsup:

Please do not be offended but I am not buying my Coleman stuff to belong to a group. I want it to look respectable but I am going to burn it. Much of my camp cooking is done with coals and cast iron. I also like one pan meals. Breakfast usually requires multiple skillets, hence more burners. In my opinion there is not enough room to utilize all three of the burners on the 426 at the same time. That is why I bought three 502's instead.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:46 am

Wow, I never realized this was a thing! I love coleman products and have many, but mostly new-ish. I prefer the small propane bottles for my stove over dealing with fuel cans, for easy transport, no spillage, and no smell. And here I was so happy with my Coleman LED lantern I bought a few years ago so I can safely bring it into a tent :NC

Do you guys actually use this stuff when camping or just collect it?
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Gray » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Camp4Life wrote:Wow, I never realized this was a thing! I love coleman products and have many, but mostly new-ish. I prefer the small propane bottles for my stove over dealing with fuel cans, for easy transport, no spillage, and no smell. And here I was so happy with my Coleman LED lantern I bought a few years ago so I can safely bring it into a tent :NC

Do you guys actually use this stuff when camping or just collect it?

The short answer to your question is, you can use some of it some of the time but you can't use all of it all of the time. It's what we grew up with. The gear must match the mission and everybody is an (Army of One).

A bank of two or three lanterns on each end will light up the cornhole stadium for a nighttime tournament.

I use propane a lot, mostly with larger outdoor cooking appliances. (Turkey fryer burners, Blackstone griddle and Yukon Camp Chef stove) along with Dutch ovens and Webber kettles, open pits and spits, but that is when I am the Camp Chef.

I plan to use my 502's with my teardrop and I will pack a lantern.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment