tire clearance issue on ironton/NT trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

tire clearance issue on ironton/NT trailer

Postby jhorton3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:29 pm

So I am curious if anyone has any insight for me. I am doing a little modification on the TD that I own and came across this clearance issue on the driver side wheel. The left side of the pic is the front and you can see the clearance btwn the tire and trailer is MINIMAL at best though substantially greater in the rear (right side). I through in a pic (second pic) of the passenger side for reference. Remember front/rear are reversed though doesn't matter as you can tell there does not appear to be an alignment issue..... my question is, any ideas as to what is wrong, can i fix it?
jhorton3
Teardrop Inspector

Re: tire clearance issue on ironton/NT trailer

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:44 am

First, I'd measure from the center of the coupler to the tip of each hub to make sure the axle is aligned. It could be the TD was built with the frame slightly off square. As long as the coupler is aligned with the hubs it shouldn't be a problem. You may be able to find a spacer for car hubs to go between the hub and the wheel. About a quarter inch would be nice. Check that the lug bolts are still long enough and get longer ones for safety, if needed.

Or get skinnier tires. That's all I've got.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby les45 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:04 am

Looks like you might have a bent spindle on that one side. If the tires aren't rubbing the walls and the trailer tracks OK when towing, you might be better off to just live with it a while and see if you get unusual wear on that one tire. It would probably be cheaper (and less work) to buy a new axle than to try to get the old one straightened.
les45
500 Club

Postby jhorton3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Tomterrific wrote:First, I'd measure from the center of the coupler to the tip of each hub to make sure the axle is aligned. It could be the TD was built with the frame slightly off square. As long as the coupler is aligned with the hubs it shouldn't be a problem. You may be able to find a spacer for car hubs to go between the hub and the wheel. About a quarter inch would be nice. Check that the lug bolts are still long enough and get longer ones for safety, if needed.

Or get skinnier tires. That's all I've got.

T

Awesome thanks for the input, I will check the measurements this evening. It does not seem the old L tire had abnormal wear, if anything the R tire had more center wear of the two but no cupping on the outside or anything. I have spacers coming today actually. Interestingly enough, I can fit the R tire without a spacer but I guess i'll add them both with new lugs as I had planned.
jhorton3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 pm

I doubt if you find any deviation. I read somewhere that the axle could be off 1/16". Good luck measuring that close, I know I could not. Towing is the final test.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby jhorton3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Tomterrific wrote:I doubt if you find any deviation. I read somewhere that the axle could be off 1/16". Good luck measuring that close, I know I could not. Towing is the final test.

T

yea and I have been towing with the 12" tires on without any pull or any issue (aside from the coupler popping on the ball which is another issue itself) unless I go over about 75mph.
These are 175/80-13's I am putting on.
jhorton3
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets