Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 am

Camp4Life wrote:Wow, I never realized this was a thing! I love coleman products and have many, but mostly new-ish. I prefer the small propane bottles for my stove over dealing with fuel cans, for easy transport, no spillage, and no smell. And here I was so happy with my Coleman LED lantern I bought a few years ago so I can safely bring it into a tent :NC

Do you guys actually use this stuff when camping or just collect it?

I use it camping. I took the lead acid battery out of my trailer as I seldom used it any more. In cold weather I hang a lantern in the trailer for heat and light before I go to sleep. WITH WINDOWS CRACKED OPEN. Personally I do not like propane as it costs more and all those bottles. Yes i know you can get some propane back in them but with a lot of hassel and the smells. ;) I like the white gas stuff as I like the ritual of lighting and caring for them.

I also use them at home and not just for power outages. I often light my house with Coleman and other GPA's and cook on them. I just find it relaxing. Yes it does cost more to light and cook with GPA's ( less than the little propane bottles )

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Camp4Life wrote:Do you guys actually use this stuff when camping or just collect it?

I use it...while I have a lot of very unusual stoves, that don't get used often, they are all operable and for me, the challenge of straightening them out and shooting some beautiful paint on them and then actually using them is the fun of it. I try to build era specific trailers and they all get the appropriate stove and lantern to go with them. I have 1 lantern newer than '70, all the rest of the stoves and lanterns are older than that, mostly from the 40's. Thing is...they work just as well as they did back when they were new. Anyone can run in and buy a new stove, I like some character in it. I just did 7 days in a 1947 trailer with a 1949 426 stove and a 1941 242 lantern...worked perfectly! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Dave Gray wrote:
logman7777 wrote:Next you will have to get a 3 burner Coleman stove so you can be a High Wide and Handsome member as well.. :thumbsup:

Please do not be offended but I am not buying my Coleman stuff to belong to a group. I want it to look respectable but I am going to burn it. Much of my camp cooking is done with coals and cast iron. I also like one pan meals. Breakfast usually requires multiple skillets, hence more burners. In my opinion there is not enough room to utilize all three of the burners on the 426 at the same time. That is why I bought three 502's instead.

naaa. Don't buy some Coleman stuff to join a group. You buy some stuff and suddenly you find your self in a group. 8)
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:03 pm

Hey Randy, I saw a guy riding an old BMW boxer thru town today. Looked barn vintage fresh, dust cleaned off but not restored, if at all; looked like a survivor. Guy seemed to be enjoying himself. Thought of you.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm

KCStudly wrote:Hey Randy, I saw a guy riding an old BMW boxer thru town today. Looked barn vintage fresh, dust cleaned off but not restored, if at all; looked like a survivor. Guy seemed to be enjoying himself. Thought of you.

Cool. My old Beemers are about 50 miles from you. I think any way. I sure would like to feel the open road again from a bike. A very relaxing experience.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Dave Gray » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:
Dave Gray wrote:
logman7777 wrote:Next you will have to get a 3 burner Coleman stove so you can be a High Wide and Handsome member as well.. :thumbsup:

Please do not be offended but I am not buying my Coleman stuff to belong to a group. I want it to look respectable but I am going to burn it. Much of my camp cooking is done with coals and cast iron. I also like one pan meals. Breakfast usually requires multiple skillets, hence more burners. In my opinion there is not enough room to utilize all three of the burners on the 426 at the same time. That is why I bought three 502's instead.

naaa. Don't buy some Coleman stuff to join a group. You buy some stuff and suddenly you find your self in a group. 8)

Randy, you are exactly correct. I wish I could rescind my post where I quoted logmann7777 because I now realize that he was just trying to welcome me into the fold . I am already finding myself searching for anything that I do not have, which is almost everything, and I am not ruling out a 426.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:24 pm

426 is a nice stove. I would have to say the 426C is probably the best for a real user. I have two 426B's and a 426D. I think only one of those. Opps, just checked my spread sheet and I have 2 426D's. :oops:

I know, I am sick.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:38 am

nothing here, move along.
Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Cool man. Thanks for the pictures. Maybe someday I will go to a GPA collector gathering. I might have to introduce them to burning, Burning Man style. :D
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Yes, thanks for sharing the pics. Pretty cool... 'er... I mean hot. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 3GKnight » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm

That's awesome! Could y'all even hear each other talk? :applause:
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Dave Gray wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:
Dave Gray wrote:

Randy, you are exactly correct. I wish I could rescind my post where I quoted logmann7777 because I now realize that he was just trying to welcome me into the fold . I am already finding myself searching for anything that I do not have, which is almost everything, and I am not ruling out a 426.

No offense taken.. :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Dave Gray » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 pm

logman7777 wrote:
Dave Gray wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:
Dave Gray wrote:

No offense taken.. :thumbsup:

Thanks Logman. God gave me two ears, two eyes, and one mouth for a reason, sometimes I digress.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby logman7777 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 am

Anybody come out of hibernation yet?
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Re: Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in

Postby Dave Gray » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm back, hibernation seems to be an appropriate term. We care Slow, that means it isn't dead.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment