Current 5x8 trailer options

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby jalmberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:32 am

I'm looking to build a teardrop on a 5x8 trailer. Seems like the only current option is the Northern Tool trailer. Harbor Freight doesn't seem to have a 5x8 anymore, and Red Trailers is out of stock until spring.

Are there any other options I should be looking at?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author of An Unlikely Voyage -- 2000 miles alone in a small wooden boat
jalmberg
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Current 5x8 trailer options

Postby dmdc411 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:30 am

I used the NTool 5x8 no floor. I don't see that one anymore. But no matter which one you go with, be sure to do the tongue mod. Mine had the 3 x 3 single tongue tube, but jump one the frame and it bent both frame angles it was attached to. I had my diagonals attached to the front leaf spring mounts and stepped for the coupler so the trailer tows level. Image
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby jalmberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:52 pm

This is the trailer I'm looking at:

Ironton Heavy-Duty Trailer Kit — 5ft. x 8ft., 5.30-12in. Tires

It's rated for 1700 lbs. and has a A-frame type tongue. Are people beefing these up in some way?

-- John
jalmberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby les45 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:43 pm

You can find 5X8 trailers at the big box stores but they usually have the mesh floors, ramps, and truss frames and cost a lot more. I used the NT 5X8 for my weekender and did nothing to it except to upgrade the tires and wheels to 13" passenger car tires. That change greatly improved the handling while towing. It was the same trailer you are looking at and I found it quite sturdy for my purpose. My final loaded weight was about 1,300 lbs.
les45
500 Club

Postby TimC » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:20 pm

jalmberg wrote:This is the trailer I'm looking at:

Ironton Heavy-Duty Trailer Kit — 5ft. x 8ft., 5.30-12in. Tires

It's rated for 1700 lbs. and has a A-frame type tongue. Are people beefing these up in some way?

-- John

Like les45 I am building my second TD with that trailer. I added an additional flat washer on each end of the bolts and applied Locktite (242 blue) even though all the nuts provided were locknuts. I figured it will help hold the bolt and act as an anti-seize compound. I don't think I will ever remove any of the bolts, but... I mounted the axle above the springs which required six additional holes to drill out. I also upgraded to 13" wheels/tires from pepboys.com. there were cheaper wheel/tire combos, but, I am partial to the Kenda brand tires on theirs. I didn't want the half tread life you get from the cheapies which would only save me about $30 total. I am adding a 5mm aluminum spacer to the hubs to bring the tire out away from the spring mount bolts on the front of each spring. You can see more details in my #2 build journal in my signature line. What you see there is as far as I've gotten so far. Good luck.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby jalmberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Upgrading to passenger tires and making sure bolts don't come loose sound like good ideas. Will add them to my list.

Tim: Why mount the wheels on top of the springs?
jalmberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:32 pm

jalmberg wrote:Upgrading to passenger tires and making sure bolts don't come loose sound like good ideas. Will add them to my list.

Tim: Why mount the wheels on top of the springs?

Ultimately the reason is to lower the floor by a couple inches. If a lower floor is not important to you then don't worry about making that change. It would be easy to change if you think it is too high after assembly. They are designed to be under the springs and if your TD is going to be anything even close to the trailer capacity you might want an engineer's opinion about whether it is a good idea. With under 1200# total weight expected I'm not going to worry about the four u-bolts failing. With springs under the axle the bolts are basically holding the springs in place without a lot of weight on them. Over the spring the four u-bolts are holding close to half the weight of your build as well as any hard hits (actually all hits) from road hazards. You could always upgrade the u-bolts to something heavier to compensate.

Correction... I stated "...I mounted the axle above the springs which required six additional holes to drill out." The six additional holes to drill had nothing to do with the axle above the springs. Flipping the axle over didn't require anything other than reversing the spring center bolt so the round tab would fit in the axle hole for it. The six additional holes were drilled to get the axle at 40% from the rear of the trailer frame (box frame only, not tongue). It's suggested you move the axle back from its designed position to compensate for the extra weight in the galley area of the trailer. This will all depend on your design. If yours is a generic "Benroy" design it is probably a good thing to consider to add a little tongue weight. Lots on advice will be found on tnttt that discusses just that design. Probably more than the average builder wants to know. Just consider your design before you assemble the trailer. If you are set on one design then it's time to think about axle placement.

For example, my build #1 weighs 1250# loaded with a tongue weight of 170#. A little heavier than I hoped, but, I can move a few things around to shift weight towards the axle when I'm loading up for a trip.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby jalmberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:40 pm

Tim, okay that makes sense. I'm going to aim to keep the weight as light as possible because I'm going to tow with my 3.0L, 6 cylinder car. All we really need is a place to sleep and a simple galley. Once we get to Washington, if we really like it, I can always build a more elaborate version 2.
jalmberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kergan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 pm

Tractor Supply has this on sale for a couple of more months for 599.00. Best deal I could find in this part of FL. Tongue is bolted but pretty strong, a little short at 36", but not bad.

2"x3" tongue, 13" tires and weighs 400lbs. Tailgate is maybe 80lbs+, which I will remove.

I saw a TT that left the rails on and there is a build here that took off the rails and mesh. I bought one and have towed it with about 1500 lbs of stuff on it with a 4 cyl Honda Element. I like it so much I will keep it for hauling and get another for my TD. So much for staying on my modest budget.

Your material costs are going to include BEER. Don't underestimate the beer costs or the work slows down.
Kergan
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets