Looking for some measurements on the 5 x 8 NT trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Looking for some measurements on the 5 x 8 NT trailer

Postby Lagadelphia » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Hello all:

First I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to post their builds and answer all of the questions posted on this forum. There are some truly creative builds and great ideas to take as insipration. Second, my bank account would like to scold you all because you are going to cost me money :)

On to my questions. I am looking for the distance between the front of the bed and the front of the fender on a stock trailer. I am wanting this dimension so I can draw up my build and settle on door placement. I'd also like to know how far back the axle is on an unmodified trailer.

Thank you all for any assistance.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Re: Looking for some measurements on the 5 x 8 NT trailer

Postby bobhenry » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:12 am

Here is an 05 post for a 4x8 carry on. they are all very similar in design perhaps this will get you close.....viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6859
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Lagadelphia » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks. That and some poking around in Youtube video's gives me a pretty good idea of how much space I have.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Postby TimC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:56 pm

My mid-August '16 purchased NT Ironton 5x8 trailer has the center of the axle at 43" from the back of the trailer (the factory designed placement). So, it is about 5" off center of the trailer bed, toward the rear. Hope this helps.

I wanted it at about 40% (38.4") from the rear, so I am about 4 3/4" farther back than it is designed. I used six of the existing holes for the spring brackets (drilling two new holes) which put me .15" from what I was looking for. The slipper springs just fit in the brackets with about an eighth of an inch of wiggle room. I can deal with that variance :)
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:52 pm

The stock location will be a good starting point, but be sure to use the trailer balance spreadsheet to make sure that's where you will want to keep the axle. You may need to move it to get your tongue weight correct. :thumbsup:
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby Lagadelphia » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks everyone. That was a big help.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets