Vertical/Horizontal Play on New Hitch and Reveiver

All about towing and tow vehicles

Vertical/Horizontal Play on New Hitch and Reveiver

Postby ssuuki19 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm

I'm not new to towing but I am new to towing with a car.. my question is about the hitch and receiver, since they are brand new and have no dirt/dust/rust to seal 'em up really good there is some play, very small like a 16th on an inch. Does this play go away? In the meantime, could I wrap some electrical tape or hockey tape around the hitch? When I did a test tow a couple of days ago this small amount of play resulted in some clanking noise, which is minor outside the vehicle but inside, it reverberates through the frame.. makes a heck of sound. Its especially bad towing just the trailer frame as there is so little tongue weight every little bump causes a rattle sound.
Mark

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Re: Vertical/Horizontal Play on New Hitch and Reveiver

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Make sure your ball is the correct size for your hitch socket. There should be little or no slop there.

As for the ball carrier in the receiver, all mine have had 1/16-1/8" of play. It does not go away, and the noise is minimal when actually towing on the road.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Play in receiver ball mount combination is normal....There are devices out there to stop rattle if you desire, but once load of trailer is placed on "hitch" looseness/rattle seems to be a non issue..

http://www.fgtmotorsport.com/collection ... -receivers

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 pm

One of my drawbars––the one with my 1 7/8" ball on it–– is loose as a goose. I bought it at Harbor Freight and I've wondered if it isn't something that is more metric than imperial.

I welded a couple of beads on it and then ground it down... but a new one would run about $20.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:22 pm

I think that If there wasn't a slight amount of play, you might have a hard time removing the hitch bar from the receiver.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:42 pm

I just measured my stingers: 2.024" and 1.972"

.05" is a lot of slop.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ssuuki19 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks for the responses, and to clarify the 1/16" play I was describing at the ball, like Tony mentions around the actual hitch/receiver contact point its much smaller. I know with older busses with class III receivers I've driven they just rust up and plug up nice and good. Then of course they never get taken off those vehicles. I shall have to tow a with proper tongue weight and see if its a big deal.. when I do I'll follow up just to close up this post.

ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby yrock87 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:55 pm

ssuuki19 wrote:Thanks for the responses, and to clarify the 1/16" play I was describing at the ball, like Tony mentions around the actual hitch/receiver contact point its much smaller. I know with older busses with class III receivers I've driven they just rust up and plug up nice and good. Then of course they never get taken off those vehicles. I shall have to tow a with proper tongue weight and see if its a big deal.. when I do I'll follow up just to close up this post.

Make sure you have the right size ball and hitch. If they are both 2 inch or both 1 7/8 and there is till slop, you can tighten the hitch up a bit. Usually there is a bolt or a nut on the inside bottom that you can tighten. You want some play there, but not a lot.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby oldschoolimport » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm

on one I had that was loose, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the 2" receiver, welded a nut to it, and when I pinned the hitch in, I tightened a bolt thru the nut to jam the hitch in the receiver, eliminating the slop
oldschoolimport
Teardrop Builder

Postby dancam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 pm

I dont believe you want play there at all. Like yrock87 said, there should be a nut under there you can tighten.
When i bought my new trailer it went super tight onto my 2in ball. Like really, really tight. I asked the salesman if he knew what size it was-no. I couldn't read the printing on the trailer coupler because they had filled it in with paint. I put a 1 7/8 ball on and took it home. In the bright sunlight i could just make out the stamping that said its 2in. Problem? 1/8in of paint inside the coupler. Im exadurating, but they painted the whole trailer until the paint was running off everywhere. I just put a bunch of grease in there and it seems fine now with the 2in ball.
That may be your solution, a whole lotta paint :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby ssuuki19 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Hey all I just wanted to say thanks for the responses - I really like the idea of drilling and tapping a hole for a 'checknut' say.. brilliant. Simple. Also the idea about putting a bead down around and grinding it to tolerance. I have to fit this Reese sway control kit too, I'm super interested to see what difference it makes.

ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby tnsurveyor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I bought a small device at Northern Tool that is similar to what was posted above.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200614144

It seems to work on my 2011 F150. I like the looks of the one that was posted above much better though.
tnsurveyor
Teardrop Builder

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles