AuxilliaryTransmission Fluid Cooler

All about towing and tow vehicles

AuxilliaryTransmission Fluid Cooler

Postby jondbar628 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Prepping for a trip from the temperate midwest to the southwest, (deserts, mountains, and all that), and considering adding an aftermarket tranny fluid cooler in series with my radiator. Has anyone else done this? Does it make a notable difference? Are there any downsides (except for extra fittings to leak, etc.)? T.V. is a Buick Lesabre (touring package) with a 3.8L v-6 and a 3.05 final drive ratio. It does OK towing our 1000lb (loaded) TTT around here, but I'm a little worried about it in southern NM and AZ. Spent a lot of time there through the years, but not towing.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Re: AuxilliaryTransmission Fluid Cooler

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:25 pm

I know nothing about your Buick, but is this true: "an aftermarket tranny fluid cooler in series with my radiator"

My Tacoma's tranny cooler runs its fluid through a small radiator––not hooked up tot he engine's cooling system.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gettin Started » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Many people add after-market ATF cooler's as replacements for the stock cooler....guess you could do it in series with the stock cooler as well. Search for youtube videos for your make and model for specific instructions (if available).
Gettin Started
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan242 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:23 am

yes! , definitely add an extra cooler, in series with the stock cooler. Transmission's biggest enemy is heat. lots of choices, it's easy enough for the plumbing, use good quality hose and solid clamps. Mounting is the chore, but not a huge issue. Stock cooler also helps warm transmission up faster.
3.05 is not the greatest final drive for towing, but will work. just accelerate like you are Grandma I assume you have a locking torque converter? That helps with heat. It would also be good to install a transmission fluid temp gauge, it's useful . I killed my last transmission by assuming I ad enough cooling, I towed my Dune buggy out to Big Bend nat'l park in TX, I didn't. I learned this after installing a gauge on my new transmission I now run a big cooler in series with the radiator and a remote oil filter with a heat sink. My temps are finally where I want them. transmission shops usually have the know how on auxiliary coolers

http://myautomatictransmission.com/temp ... -chart.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1318257047 ... noapp=true
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:20 pm

I installed a transmission cooler on both our Subaru tow vehicles. I also switched to full synthetic ATF. The new version of the Ultra Gauge can for some vehicles monitor transmission temps as well as actual coolant temps.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 am

Most OEM's actually recommend turning off the overdrive while towing, and along with it the lockup feature in the torque converter. The TC lockup clutch size is a design compromise and is only ever intended to be used at cruising speeds under light throttle where very little HP is being transmitted thru the drive line. Computer calibrations for engagement are based on typical vehicle dynamics, which get thrown out when towing. Except for the very lightest TD's, the extra loads will likely cause additional TC clutch slippage, more heat, and possible failure. The computer will cycle the TC clutch much more frequently with accelerations and down shifts, putting more wear and tear on it. By allowing the TC to multiply torque and the lower (non-OD) gears to assist with the extra load, you may actually be generating less heat. (Still, an aux cooler is recommended if not already included in a tow package.)

I make it a habit to switch off the overdrive even when just towing an empty UT. Your mileage may vary, of course (truth, no pun). Some people will claim that they never have a problem and tow in OD all the time. My thoughts are that it is a matter of degrees; your 200k mile transmission life expectancy may be cut dramatically short, but in 75k miles you "never had a problem".
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks Guys.........Looks like it's a slam-dunk of plusses with no apparent minuses. And Dan242's link to the transmission site was very educational as to the "normal" operating temps of transmissions. Once again, the feedback from this forum was invaluable........
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 am

another 'big' point that should be made here is to - service your transmission more often when towing !!! most people don't even service theirs under normal conditions when they need too, when towing it needs to be done more often!!! Servicing the trans is not just changing some of the fluid, it should also include a fresh filter and if possible a flush to replace ALL of the fluid being just draining the trans normally only gets about half the fluid out being the converter holds the other half and most transmissions do not have a drain plug for draining the converter. I'm done.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:35 am

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i CVT. I plan to add a second/auxiliary transmission cooler to help keep transmission fluid from overheating when I tow my teardrop. Subaru doesn't offer an auxiliary transmission cooler for USA Foresters.

Most likely we'll install a B&M #70268 Cooler, Medium Supercooler 13,000 BTU Rating www.bmracing.com/products/70268-oil-cooler-medium-supercooler-13000-btu-rating The head mechanic at my Subaru dealer strongly recommended using a transmission cooler with a low temperature bypass which the B&M #70268 has.

Using this combo the stock Subaru transmission cooler will warm up to a safe operating temperature first before very much of the transmission fluid can circulate through the auxiliary B&M cooler due to the low temperature bypass feature in the B&M. The auxiliary B&M cooler will help keep transmission fluid from overheating to extend the life of the Foresters CVT transmission.

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Mountainhwy4 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Would the B&M cooler work on a 2007 Outback 2.5i? We’re going to be doing a cross country trip starting end of July from CA to FL, I know it’s going to be hot!!!
[color=#FF0000]"Hear me baby hold together."[/color]
Not that I've ever actually thought that on a trip.... /s
Mountainhwy4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Philip » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 am

If your going to install a after market trans cooler. Get one with a built in fan. Those have a temp sensor to turn on the fan when the temp hits a preset point. Most of the time the setting is 180 degrees.

An after market cooler needs air flow across it to work. With the compact cars of today. Most do not have room to mount a cooler in a direct air path. With a built in fan. It opens you to more restricted positions to mount it.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles