Assistance/Advice/Input on thrifty cheap battery power for b

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Assistance/Advice/Input on thrifty cheap battery power f

Postby Pixie Susan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:53 am

Socal Tom wrote:
Pixie Susan wrote:I'm researching and trying to decide and you've given me a lot to think about. I appreciate it!

This issue aside, I have another question. Let's say I buy a 12v vent fan, like a Fan-tastic fan, then what would be the easiest way to wire it since I don't have a 12v system? I know I could use a converter. I'm perusing using a computer power supply. But would it be possible to use a ac/dc wall adapter (with comparable specs) and just plug it into my ac system then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That could work, but you would need to make sure the power supply you use have adequate output. In generaly everytime you convert power it is less effient, so you would be taking 12 V>120>12, probably doubling the actualy power used. If you search you will see that some people installed PC case fans in place of a fantastic fan, there are 120V versions of that type of fan that might work for you.
Here are some examples
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... ghyve61s_b
Tom

I'll definitely be building my own fan after doing some research. I didn't realize how cheap I could tie fans together and use a rpm controller to control speed. I'm actually thinking about going with the following fan (two tied together) so I can easily reverse air flow. It already comes with a toggle switch to reverse direction and a speed controller.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11317 ... 0-AKS.html

Can I get some thoughts on this setup below? I was thinking I could add another solar panel and charge controller rather cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131355613535

All in all, I'll be building the vent fan first because TN is hot and the Climateright a/c is still on the fritz.

You all have been so helpful. Can't thank you enough!

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DeenaB » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Watching this thread. This is similar to the needs that I have. Please post as you get the setup moving. Thanks
DeenaB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby felixx » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:50 am

I have 9w of led lighting in my td
12w outside
On a sunny day I can recharge my battery and Charge my phone or Bluetooth speaker with a 20w panel.

I am upgrading to a 40w system.

My fan is solar powered and has its own battery.
It cost 30 bucks us.
I can aford to replace it when the battery goes kaput

Take less technology
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Pixie Susan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 am

I did make an inexpensive fan to run off AC power for now. It's reversible when I flip it over. Lol. Moves almost 100cfm on full speed and adjustable.

Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:54 am

You could look into 12v LED power converters, they are relatively inexpensive when compared to other devices that do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-W ... GUEY4?th=1
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 am

Most of the 12-volt systems are elaborate because they have to be :p Power supply, recharging, fuse protection, hard wiring, hydrogen gas venting, conduit, etc. - the needs stack up fast!

Inverting 12v DC power to 120v AC power is pretty inefficient. But it's a necessary evil.

The quick n' dirty solution is purchase a basic deep-cycle battery and run a 12-volt "cigarette lighter" outlet with an inline fuse to it. Like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/46605790?wml ... 3=&veh=sem

f you want to turn the "cigarette lighter" outlet on/off, also include a battery kill switch. That setup will run your phones and 12-volt portable fans. With a little car inverter, it will also run your computers and other SMALL 120-volt appliances. Battery-powered LED lights with rechargeable batteries work well for off-grid camping.

But unless you're wanting to go the hassle of installing a true 12-volt power system with fuse block and everything, I wouldn't install 12-volt lights or a Fantastic Fan. Not saying you can't! Just that I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. By the way, you can buy 120-volt ventilation fans from etrailer.com. They're often used for mobile homes.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:34 am

Inverting 12v DC power to 120v AC power is pretty inefficient. But it's a necessary evil.

My wife and I spend about 25 nights a year in our teardrop and have never had a need for 120 volts. We're fine with having a 12v system with lights, fan, USB charging ports, electric blanket, and DVD player––and solar panels.

Off-grid camping! :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets