Houseboats anyone?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 am

Diane's Rose is a barge and doesn't take to power or open water well. Looking from a hull design standpoint, there is no reserve stability which makes a small barge dangerous in waves. That said, a flat bottom barge has low draft and should make an easy on, easy off shanty boat for small rivers and protected waters. I've always wanted a shanty boat for a summer home.

T
Tomterrific
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 317
Images: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby MadMango » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 am

Wow, is building a shanty boat the next logical progression from building a teardrop? I'm less than a mile from the St. John's river.

:thinking:
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
User avatar
MadMango
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:40 am
Location: Space Coast, FL

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby swoody126 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Diane's Rose is a barge and doesn't take to power or open water well. Looking from a hull design standpoint, there is no reserve stability which makes a small barge dangerous in waves. That said, a flat bottom barge has low draft and should make an easy on, easy off shanty boat for small rivers and protected waters. I've always wanted a shanty boat for a summer home.

T


Tt, you are absodadgumlutely correct, and in the process you have identified several of the key elements of a shantyboat and a houseboat!

they are not intended for rough water and are typically underpowered, by most "size to HP" ratio

a houseboat is intended to FLOAT and be towed to different locations

a shantyboat is intended to be a livable space that floats and is usually able to move itself when the mood strikes

both are usually slab sided and seldom have reserve bouancy

both usualy have their human space centered longitudinally which negates the need for flair

both usually will require some amount of work to go from daytime activities to nighttime activities

day couches usually need letting down for sleep...

when you factor in trailering the interior space becomes defined by "legal load width" restrictions imposed by state DOT rules(102" max)

factor in the desire to tow w/ the family vehicle and your length gets limited due to the added weight per foot...

DIANE'S ROSE is a drop dead gorgeous example of fitting a lot of possibilities in a very limited space

her bow was given some shape and her sides are slabs

her interior appointments meet Roy's & Diane's plans/use patterns quite well

her construction is nothing less than AMAZING

folks who subscribe to tnttt.com have expressed an interest in minimalistic travel, otherwise they would be perusing the motorhome/rv websites & forums

MM, the St Johns already has a shantyboat livery w/ one going on two boats for rent if you are interested in finding out about the passion
for shantyboats. check 'em out

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm
Location: north of Ft Worth
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:26 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Diane's Rose is a barge and doesn't take to power or open water well. Looking from a hull design standpoint, there is no reserve stability which makes a small barge dangerous in waves. That said, a flat bottom barge has low draft and should make an easy on, easy off shanty boat for small rivers and protected waters. I've always wanted a shanty boat for a summer home.

T



I guess we aren't using the term reserve stability the same, Tom. Diane's Rose has a huge amount of freeboard, and the videos I've seen show her handling chop very well, although she is a lively ride because of her low weight and wide bottom.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:26 pm
Location: mid-Missouri
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby Rick Tyler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 pm

rowerwet wrote:With the size of Diane's rose, people on the roof might be too much for stability.


I agree -- that's a teeny-tiny boat to think about hanging out on the cabin top.
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 48
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 am
Location: Western Washington
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby greygoos » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Here is a pic and a link to a converted sailboat. I am sure I could sleep aboard as is but it has numerous possibilities. It is 24 feet in length but there are lots out there that are 18 feet or less that can be towed. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5813886311.html
Attachments
sailboat conversion.jpg
sailboat conversion.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 424 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:15 am
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby Rick Tyler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm

greygoos wrote:Here is a pic and a link to a converted sailboat. I am sure I could sleep aboard as is but it has numerous possibilities. It is 24 feet in length but there are lots out there that are 18 feet or less that can be towed.


I wanted to point out that the linked picture here on the forum is of a Duffy electric launch. The sailboat for sale is a MacGregor 24 and is shown on the Craigslist link, but is not what was pictured on this forum. Converting sailboats can be problematic, as the MacGregor gets its stability from its hull shape and deep swing keel, and the Duffy from its form stability (shallow vee). You can't pull the 575 pound centerboard off the MacGregor without affecting stability pretty dramatically, and no motorboat needs a deep, iron/steel keel. It's just dead weight that needs to be pulled around. (The Duffy is electric powered, so I'd bet a nickel that it has no or very little ballast.)
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 48
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 am
Location: Western Washington
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby greygoos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Rick Tyler wrote:
greygoos wrote:Here is a pic and a link to a converted sailboat. I am sure I could sleep aboard as is but it has numerous possibilities. It is 24 feet in length but there are lots out there that are 18 feet or less that can be towed.


I wanted to point out that the linked picture here on the forum is of a Duffy electric launch. The sailboat for sale is a MacGregor 24 and is shown on the Craigslist link, but is not what was pictured on this forum. Converting sailboats can be problematic, as the MacGregor gets its stability from its hull shape and deep swing keel, and the Duffy from its form stability (shallow vee). You can't pull the 575 pound centerboard off the MacGregor without affecting stability pretty dramatically, and no motorboat needs a deep, iron/steel keel. It's just dead weight that needs to be pulled around. (The Duffy is electric powered, so I'd bet a nickel that it has no or very little ballast.)


Thank you for the insight. It sounded too easy. What do you think the advertiser might be driving at?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:15 am
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby Rick Tyler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:25 pm

greygoos wrote:Thank you for the insight. It sounded too easy. What do you think the advertiser might be driving at?


I'm not sure, but it sounds like he might run a cabinet shop, not a boat yard, and doesn't really understand. His real price (for a gutted boat without interior) is $5,000 with engine. I'm not sure where you are, but here in Washington there are a ton of nice motorboats (designed to be motorboats) you could get, with trailer, for $5,000, and they are even likely to float upright!
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 48
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 am
Location: Western Washington
Top

Re: Houseboats anyone?

Postby rowerwet » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:02 am

Rick Tyler wrote:
greygoos wrote:Here is a pic and a link to a converted sailboat. I am sure I could sleep aboard as is but it has numerous possibilities. It is 24 feet in length but there are lots out there that are 18 feet or less that can be towed.


I wanted to point out that the linked picture here on the forum is of a Duffy electric launch. The sailboat for sale is a MacGregor 24 and is shown on the Craigslist link, but is not what was pictured on this forum. Converting sailboats can be problematic, as the MacGregor gets its stability from its hull shape and deep swing keel, and the Duffy from its form stability (shallow vee). You can't pull the 575 pound centerboard off the MacGregor without affecting stability pretty dramatically, and no motorboat needs a deep, iron/steel keel. It's just dead weight that needs to be pulled around. (The Duffy is electric powered, so I'd bet a nickel that it has no or very little ballast.)

All those batteries would make a nice heavy ballast
User avatar
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2050
Images: 521
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:52 am
Location: Merrimack River Valley
Top

Previous

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests