Are you a tent or an RV?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Are you a tent or an RV?

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi folks, I'm going to be traveling with a 5x12 CT conversion and I've been looking at campgrounds and such. One of the things that I've noticed is that sites are listed for either tent or RV. I'm curious about your experiences in either a TD or CTC. Do you camp in "tent" camping sites or are you forced into the RV sites in campgrounds?
Thanks,
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Re: Are you a tent or an RV?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:49 pm

It depends on where I am and how long I'm going to stay. If I'm in a Nat'l Park or similar place with lots of amenities or if I'm staying more than 3 or 4 nights, I'll get a site with electricity and water. If I'm just passing through, or it's a relatively primitive park to begin with, I'll take a tent site and rely on stored water and power.

With my solar panel, I can go without an electrical hook up indefinitely. But I have a bad back and don't much like hauling water for more than a day or two.

I don't "boondock" so not having bathrooms of some kind isn't an option.

Have fun

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. I can agree with your points. My issue though is about what a campground considers you in a TD or CTC. As an example, I was looking at some spots in Florida and for reservations they had "tent only" and "RV" sites. I'm just wondering if campgrounds have any issues with a TD or CT camper using a "tent only" site if you don't need elec. Curious if anyone has had issues being told they had to either use an RV site or move to one from a tent site even if they have no need for RV type services.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Some tent only sites are configured that only a tent will work. Others, we have camped in quite few of them, in some cases because that was all that was left and some because that was the one we wanted. We are a 6X10 but with tongue box and tongue we are about 18'.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:12 am

as mentioned above ^^^, the answer to your question frequently revolves around the vehicle parking specs for a CG

if the CG offers space for 2 vehicles in a tent area you can easily manage most of the time

just rememberize that many CG's hold great stock in their grass and woe be to the camper who puts a tire on that sacred grass(no need to ask how i found this out)

you may have to unhook in order to get everything out of the roadway

this is where having a dolly wheel on the tongue jack and a few leveling boards comes in jam handy

in CG's that have TENT spaces in an area where vehicles are to be left in an area remote to the sites, you will have to resort to thr RV spaces

you will have to have a discussion with the individual CG operators/park staff to determine your best options in conjunction with your personal needs/wants

we have a central clearing house/service that takes reservations for our state parks and they don't know about the configuration of individual sites and therefore can't answer your specific questions

this means we have to make 2 calls to secure reservations that meet our specific needs whether we are tenters, hangers, motorcycle riders, travel trailer towers, motorhome drivers or TNTTT campers

bet i've muddied the waters a bit more...

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks SW, Good points. I've camped a lot but never with a trailer of any sort, so I'm looking for some protocol...actually, I'm just trying to figure what I can get away with. I'd rather be among the tents if it comes to that. My preference generally is disbursed camping so no issues there.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:03 pm

If you call a campground, tell them you are a 'tent trailer', that gives them a better idea of your size. I have found a lot of 'trailer sites' in California and National parks have blockades set up to prevent people from parking off pavement with their leaky vehicles. Problem with that is trying to set up a side tent, screen room or galley tent - the paved area is only wide enough for a large trailer or RV, no place to pound in stakes.

I have found this site http://www.campsitephotos.com/ helps a lot, you can view the sites and make your own decisions. Saved me from making an error a couple times.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Some of the tent sites I've seen have parking with only a trail to the tent site. It will depend on the campground
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 am

I go with pop up or small trailer.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for all the comments. I like the "tent trailer" designation. Seems that it would probably be the most accurate for my plans and a good description. I'm a month or two away from being a tent trailer camper. Looking forward to this new endeavor, especially after reading all the tips and info on the board for construction and conversion ideas.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 am

I appreciate this question as I have the same problem. What I usually say is we carry our equipment in a small trailer and would like a tent spot away from RVs. Good advice about leveling somehow as distant lonely sites are frequently sloping.

We have stayed at the Koreshan State Park in Florida. Nice place between Ft. Myers and Naples. We tent camped but there were guys van camping right beside us.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:08 pm

It totally depends on the campground. Some campgrounds "tent" area doesn't even have vehicle access. You literally carry your tent in.

Since I do most of my camping int he summer months and summers are usually brutally muggy here in the midwest, it's rare that I'm going to be happy with a site that doesn't offer electricity to run our AC. If you're a pacific northwest guy, I'm sure your priorities would be different.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm in SW Florida. This is a good time for camping here, except for all the other folks that come down for the winter make it a bit more crowded.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:46 pm

I usually aim for a spot with electricity, and I usually prefer tent spots, as long as the space encompasses the parking space. If you have to hike to the space, then I'm out.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets