Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Postby yrock87 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:02 pm

fm-usa wrote:Several years ago I used 2 part epoxy paint on an outdoor 10 story emergency staircase.
Once mixed, that stuff is rather thick and began curing in about 45 minutes.
I would guess the realistic flat spread would be 1 qt. for about 40 sq. ft., pre-sealed material dependent.

I'm unsure of the material mentioned here, never used it. Hopefully the stuff I used helps figure yours.
As usual, mix a small amount and test.

just saw this. I ended up using two coats of marine grade Raka epoxy for the underside of the floor. I used about a pint out of the 1.5 gallon batch. hardened the wood well and is waterproof. I would do it this way again.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby fm-usa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:08 pm

yrock87 wrote:
fm-usa wrote:Several years ago I used 2 part epoxy paint on an outdoor 10 story emergency staircase.
Once mixed, that stuff is rather thick and began curing in about 45 minutes.
I would guess the realistic flat spread would be 1 qt. for about 40 sq. ft., pre-sealed material dependent.

I'm unsure of the material mentioned here, never used it. Hopefully the stuff I used helps figure yours.
As usual, mix a small amount and test.

just saw this. I ended up using two coats of marine grade Raka epoxy for the underside of the floor. I used about a pint out of the 1.5 gallon batch. hardened the wood well and is waterproof. I would do it this way again.

Like I said, stuff I used was thick. Glad it was or it drip all over Maria Carey's grandparents condo's finished balcony.
The thinner the better to get INTO the pores for grip'ture. Once set it has to be ruffed up for 2nd coat, said Fido. But being on the underside, it'll be well protected.
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby ColoradoCody » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:04 pm

What about a Swimming Pool Paint? Seems like it would hold up to the dings from rocks and is (hopefully) waterproof.
Thoughts? About $40 a gallon
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby HotRod1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Has anyone just marine epoxied with one coats d then gone over it with lizard skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan on sliding sideways on fire yelling what a ride when the Lord calls me home.
HotRod1
Teardrop Builder

Postby HotRod1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 pm

Or possibly herc o liner. It's a rubberized bed liner you paint on. Napa has a gallon for around 40-50 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan on sliding sideways on fire yelling what a ride when the Lord calls me home.
HotRod1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wildfire » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 pm

I put a sheet of 0.032" aluminum on the bottom of mine.

Cheaper/faster than expensive paints and coatings.
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I said it years ago, and I'll say it again. Asphalt fence post paint. Less than $15/gallon, which is more than you'll need for one camper. First coat dries in less than an hour, second and third coat (if needed) are even faster.

I just cut holes in my camper floor for air conditioning vents, and the underside is as new as the day I painted it. Many people (mostly new builders) don't understand how little exposure (water and UV light) the underside of a camper gets. Quit wasting $$$$ on expensive epoxies and bedliner for the underside. Put that money into the top side of your build where the actual abuse from the elements occurs.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Well said, Zack.......I used my HF trailer for "utility"purposes for 3 years before I started my build. When I bought it, I bolted 3/4 treated ply to the frame. Before doing that, I had painted the ply with some run-of-the-mill oil-based house paint my Dad had in his basement.
When I started my build, I removed the ply. The topside was weathered and beat-up from abuse. The bottom side looked as good as the day I painted it...........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets