Vegan Dishes - For the Herbivore Diet

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Vegan Dishes - For the Herbivore Diet

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:08 pm

I know most of the folks out there are omnivores and in addition to veges, eat and drink animal based food products... I don't want to start a feud on diets, just add a little something for vegetarians and vegans... I usually make my own burgers (A modified "Holy Cow Vegan Burger" recipe that can downloaded)... And I almost always make my own Hummus because I do not care for lemony Hummus and always add a goodly amount of Paprika to mine and sometimes chiles and/or hot sauce...
:) :)

How about this concoction... This was my supper last evening...
A Vegan Boca Burger, topped with fiery Sriracha Hummus, shredded Sea Weed, and shredded Fresh Spinach. On the side is a smokey yellow pepper and some home-made spicy pickled string beans... Yum, yum...
This is going to be one of my new favorites... and super quick and easy... I just threw it together and was greatly surprised on how great it tasted...
:shock:

If spicy is not something you care for, this could be easily modified from the Spicy Sriracha Hummus to a a Hummus/or vege pate you prefer... I stayed with vegan dish, but while working in China some years ago, I learned that a meal is almost a celebration and should be enjoyed... Well, I have always enjoyed eating...
:D

Sooo, good luck, build on an idea and see what you come up with...
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :applause: :applause:

P.S. Also posted on TearJerkers (by Me)
Attachments
Boca Burger Seaweed and Spinach - 1200.jpg
Boca Burger Seaweed and Spinach - 1200.jpg (389.13 KiB) Viewed 9167 times
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Re: Vegan Dishes - For the Herbivore Diet

Postby MadMango » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 am

If you want to venture out into different tastes, try some Korean stews, many have vegetarian and vegan variations. They can be cooked while camping in a dutch oven, or precooked and reheated. Here's one recipe for Vegan Soondubu Jiigae (spicy tofu soup), there are many. Great when its cold outside!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwL7es_5_c
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:31 am

I also use a lot of Tofu and Tempeh in my cooking... There are many Korean and Chinese dishes that are scrumptious... I spent a lot of time teaching aircraft engine maintenance around the world and many of my favorites came from China... One of my favorites is Eggplant Hotpot... Thank you for the the tip for Korean crockpot/D.O. cooking... :thumbsup:

I am a huge Mexican Food fan... And am working on many recipes that incorporate the colors and tastes that I grew up with in Southern Arizona... Here is a pic and ideas for a vegan version of a favorite, Sour Cream Enchiladas, topped with my smokey jalapeno salsa, green onions, black olives, and avocado... :awesome:

This is really a fantastic twist on a vegan dish and if using your favorite cheese inside (Vegan or Not), placed in a casserole dish (D.O. or Crockpot), add your enchilada sauce, and a layer of the same cheese (shredded) used inside, and bake until the cheese melts and the tortillas are tender... :D
Attachments
IMG_4230x1000.jpg
IMG_4230x1000.jpg (384.35 KiB) Viewed 9125 times
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby dguff » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:46 am

It is my opinion that only ground meat should be referred to as a "burger". If it is not meat it is not a burger. You can call them patties or cakes or something else but there is no such thing as a tofu burger or veggie burger.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm

dguff wrote:It is my opinion that only ground meat should be referred to as a "burger". If it is not meat it is not a burger. You can call them patties or cakes or something else but there is no such thing as a tofu burger or veggie burger.

Hi Jerome,
I thought about what you said and then turned to the dictionary to see what Merriam-Webster thought about it:

Merriam-Webster says that a "Burger" is:
1. Hamburger
2. a sandwich similar to a hamburger <tofu burgers> —often used in combination

Merriam-Webster defines "Hamburger" as:
1. a : ground beef
b : a patty of ground beef
2. a sandwich consisting of a patty of hamburger in a split typically round bun

I guess a if we and the manufactures of such things as Veggie Burgers, Boca Burgers, Turkey, Tofu, Black Bean, or Veggie Hamburger we would be wrong in the words of Merriam-Webster, but if we called that same Patty a Burger we would be okay...

But if you get right down to it, I don't really care what it's called, if I like it, I'll eat that Veggie Patty Sandwich...
:lol: :lol:

Good discussion, thanks for the comment... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See Below... I called those flat Vegan Patties, Vegan Burgers... Not Vegan Hamburgers... Just having fun Jerome... I respect your thoughts and appreciate your thoughts and input... :thumbsup:
Attachments
Vegan Burgers and Corn - 1200.jpg
Vegan Burgers and Corn - 1200.jpg (449.92 KiB) Viewed 9072 times
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Breytie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:51 am

AZ_Desert_Rat wrote:
See Below... I called those flat Vegan Patties, Vegan Burgers... Not Vegan Hamburgers... Just having fun Jerome... I respect your thoughts and appreciate your thoughts and input... :thumbsup:

Damn - Those look ALMOST good enough to eat! :R
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:51 pm

:thinking: Hmmm.... Why are beef patties called Hamburgers when there isn't any ham in them? Even if someone finds a reason for that, is it right to call them Hamburgers? So, if a beef patty can be called a hamburger, what's wrong with calling a veggie patty a veggie burger?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ome%20from

This definition says it's okay to call them a veggie burger or bean burger or whatever: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... +of+burger

Are we having fun yet? :Flippin Burger:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Breytie,
Those were my version of Bean and Oats Burger called Holy Cow! Veggie Burger on line AND they were scrumptious... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now, I've been eating burger as long as I can remember and a Veggie Patty doesn't taste just like a Beef Burger, but then, if it did, it would probably be a Beef Burger...
:?
These tasted very good and held together quite well for a vegan patty... :D :D
and they went great with the fresh grilled corn also... :applause: :applause:

Hi Sharon,
These were fantastic and if you eat a veggie or vegan burger on occasion, this was a pretty good recipe... Enjoy... ;) ;)
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi all,
I hope everyone is getting their Christmas shopping done and snuggled in by a warm fire with family and friends... :)
It's getting pretty nippy up here in the Upper Midwest (Central Minnesota)... It is 11:11 a.m. and it is a whopping -5 deg. outside...
Cold weather, family and friends dropping in, and the Christmas & New Year season brings crockpot and large stovetop kettles of soups, stews, and other tummy warming foods to mind. I remember growing up in Southern Arizona when this time of year brought out tamales, menudo, enchiladas, beans, and similar dishes.

Around the Christmas season, Mom always made a huge pot of Menudo in a seemingly bottomless pot, for all who stopped... ;)

In a tribute to Mom (and my tummy), I decided to try my hand a Vegan "Mock" Menudo... :thinking:

Here is my first attempt at a Vegan "Mock" Menudo... AND it turned out very good... It is missing a little of the meat flavor, but not really enough to hurt and once I put the chopped green onions and cilantro on top... WOW, the flavors sent me back many years to a bowl of Mom's Menudo...
:shock: :lol:
BTW... The Menudo is a "White" and reddish hue in the picture is likely from the crushed chile or the lights over the center counter... The Menudo looked the color of the "White" area at the lower portion of the soup... I didn't notice it when I took the picture...
:roll:

*** Thank you, Mom and Dad, for the inspiration to cook and the willpower to experiment!! *** ;)
Attachments
Mock Menado - 1200.jpg
Mock Menado - 1200.jpg (598.01 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby jandmz » Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Sorry if I'm coming in late on this topic, but we just got back from a camping trip with some people who are exploring the vegan cooking style. She did some of the cooking and introduced us to some of her vegan dishes.

Most were :thumbsup: . The black bean burgers and the chili were really good. The broccoli, apple and walnut salad was not much different than one we had tried before.

The only really :thumbdown: was a tempeh derivative, Treehouse tofurkey maple smoked "bacon". The flavor and texture were way off. As it cooled, it took on a "fatty" taste and textrue. I was fixing a carnivore breakfast, and I tried crisping it up by frying it in some real bacon grease. Even that didn't help. Our friend said that she got it as an experiment, and paraphrasing Thomas Edison, she said that it wasn't a complete failure, she just learned a new way NOT to make breakfast.

Talking to her diet coach, he said that he really doesn't go much for "meat substitutes". He said that most of them are highly processed, and that he prefers the more natural flavors of fresh foods. I will agree, the best food all weekend were the fruit salads.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat May 13, 2017 9:09 am

jandmz wrote:Sorry if I'm coming in late on this topic, but we just got back from a camping trip with some people who are exploring the vegan cooking style. She did some of the cooking and introduced us to some of her vegan dishes.

Most were :thumbsup: . The black bean burgers and the chili were really good. The broccoli, apple and walnut salad was not much different than one we had tried before.

The only really :thumbdown: was a tempeh derivative, Treehouse tofurkey maple smoked "bacon". The flavor and texture were way off. As it cooled, it took on a "fatty" taste and textrue. I was fixing a carnivore breakfast, and I tried crisping it up by frying it in some real bacon grease. Even that didn't help. Our friend said that she got it as an experiment, and paraphrasing Thomas Edison, she said that it wasn't a complete failure, she just learned a new way NOT to make breakfast.

Talking to her diet coach, he said that he really doesn't go much for "meat substitutes". He said that most of them are highly processed, and that he prefers the more natural flavors of fresh foods. I will agree, the best food all weekend were the fruit salads.

Hi jandmz,
I agree with the "Diet Coach", most Vegan Meat-substitutes are not that great. I love the spices and flavors of my childhood... chiles, oregano, garlic, onion, cumin, and others. The foods I cook retain those flavors, but lack the "meat" flavor; however, there are some great "Vegan" bullions (Chicken & Beef) that do a good job of adding to your favorite dishes.

I have been a vegetarian for over decade and a strict vegan for over two years and do not miss meat at all in my diet. Like most vegans, beans, corn, nuts, fruit, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, etc, along with fresh vegetable like spinach, tomatoes, avocados (to name just a few), make up a good portion of our diet. I like hummus, salads with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, chili with beans and/or tempeh (if fixed correctly, it is quite good), and chili dishes_like enchilada/tamale casserole that has become a favorite with many of our meat eating friends. I have also been working with a "Jack-Fruit" and am making a great chorizo substitute and make a great pulled pork substitute that is great.

If you are thinking of trying more vegetables in your diet for health and variety, go for it and after many years of no meat, I can honestly that meat does not appeal to me anymore... Happy cooking... :D :D
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat May 13, 2017 9:10 am

jandmz wrote:Sorry if I'm coming in late on this topic, but we just got back from a camping trip with some people who are exploring the vegan cooking style. She did some of the cooking and introduced us to some of her vegan dishes.

Hi jandmz,
I agree with the "Diet Coach", most Vegan Meat-substitutes are not that great. I love the spices and flavors of my childhood... chiles, oregano, garlic, onion, cumin, and others. The foods I cook retain those flavors, but lack the "meat" flavor; however, there are some great "Vegan" bullions (Chicken & Beef) that do a good job of adding to your favorite dishes.

I have been a vegetarian for over decade and a strict vegan for over two years and do not miss meat at all in my diet. Like most vegans, beans, corn, nuts, fruit, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, etc, along with fresh vegetable like spinach, tomatoes, avocados (to name just a few), make up a good portion of our diet. I like hummus, salads with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, chili with beans and/or tempeh (if fixed correctly, it is quite good), and chili dishes_like enchilada/tamale casserole that has become a favorite with many of our meat eating friends. I have also been working with a "Jack-Fruit" and am making a great chorizo substitute and make a great pulled pork substitute that is great.

If you are thinking of trying more vegetables in your diet for health and variety, go for it and after many years of no meat, I can honestly that meat does not appeal to me anymore... Happy cooking... :D :D
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1