Teardop camper cover

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Teardop camper cover

Postby mrbusdr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:56 pm

I want to store my camper for the winter. I would like to get a custom cover made for my teardrop. Any suggestions for a vendor?
mrbusdr
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Teardop camper cover

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:29 pm

You didn't mention what size or shape you're looking for so we have nothing to go on but teardrop trailer.
What I've done in the past is to go to Walmart or an auto supply store and look for a weather proof car cover that's the approximate size of your teardrop trailer.
You could also check out this search I did.
You could also contact http://www.martisawnings.com/ and ask if she could make you one, as she comes highly recommended on this forum.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Why would you want a cover? :frightened:

http://www. upholsterer.com/teardrop-pp3-trailer-cover?gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQtHDOS6vyv4vZ3YoJz0ZtYpM7bT3RI9jUDt6V7_rsMRoC7bfw_wcB

If you want a custom cover, I would think you'd have to deliver it to the maker. Or at least a template. I talked to someone here that sewed drift boat covers and passed since they were spendy. But you might talk to a local upolsterer.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:57 am

I use an ugly tarp over mine. The camper has a square back and a flat top. I did not like water pooling up on the surface and needed a way to get some slope for water runoff. I found an old basket ball on top of the vent worked great. The air space under the tarp drys out quickly if it gets wet. Some thing to think about if damp/wet is trapped under the cover.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby TimC » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 pm

I requested a quote from a local cover guy who does very nice work. No zippered doors, just enough zippers on the rear to make installation go smoothly. The guy wanted $1200 with 50% down. I don't know what custom should cost, so, just take that as an example for a 5x8 Benroy cover.

I thought it over and decided to look into making my own. I have no experience, so I just winged it. I bought a new Singer 44S and a bunch of 500 denier Cordura, thread, a paper drop cloth to make a pattern and some stainless snaps. It all cost me around $350. I'm pretty happy with the cover. I only use it as a travel cover as I always store it under a carport at home and don't want to deal with moisture being trapped under it. After a rainy road trip the TD is wet, but, no water is driven into seams, cracks or crevices.

If you do store yours with a cover be sure to have something under the cover to allow air movement. Swim noodles work well. If you wrap it to tight what water gets in will be trapped. That's not good.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:25 am

When I first built my TD I used a tarp over it mostly because of the high winds literally blowing rain through the middle of my hurricane hinge. They say it can't happen but it does. The problem with the tarp is the nasty black lines that were left all over the aluminum when I took it off. You could see every place the ropes were rubbing on the side of the TD. Then I moved to an area where the wind is no longer as much of a problem and my hurricane hinge no longer leaks because the wind driven rain no longer blows right through it. So I just leave it uncovered without any further problems.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:55 pm

I used king sized futon cover. Cut open down the sides. Cut a hole for the roof vent. Plenty wide and definitely long enough to cover the top surface and over the sides. Keeps the dust and dirt off!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Threads about the forum!