My Super Raspberry Pi 3

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: My Super Raspberry Pi 3

Postby Alan Wood » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:11 pm

There should be similair wifi adapters that work. The gotcha is finding one with Linux drivers availble on ARM platforms. Step one would be to check on the odroid forums and see what other people have gotten to work. Though I would probably try that one first.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby friz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:34 pm

That's what I am using on my Hackintosh.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:19 am

I got my PNY 128GB SSD in yesterday and that changed everything. The test I've been running is having BerryBoot (the opsys selector program) running on an old 4GB, class 4, SD card and the 5 operating systems I'm testing running on the SSD. The SSD is in an old 2.5" external HD case with USB 2 to sata board inside.

I'm using a multi-tap USB power strip, with each of the 6 ports capable of delivering 2.4 amp. Each port has its own on/off switch and is powered by 12v.

As in all previous dual power tests I've done, I run a direct power line to the Pi and a data/power line from the USB and the Pi to the SSD. BerryBoot is up in about 5 seconds. Gnome Mate 16.04 takes perhaps 15 seconds to fully boot, OpenElec about 20 to boot and load all the options I've put on (like OpenVPN), LibreElec is about the same. Raspbian is about a 10 second boot, but I really don't like that operating system. Lubuntu 15 is about 15 seconds, but I don't have it loaded down yet with options.

The SSD runs absolutely cool. I ran over 6 hours of streaming 1080 over wifi yesterday and not a single problem, lag, stutter or lockup. I also cloned the class 4 to a class 10 and could not detect any difference at all in the initial boot time (BerryBoot, not the opsys). In reality, all BerryBoot is doing is just acting as a start menu for whatever you have loaded, so it has almost no write cycles. All the work is done on the SSD, not the SD. Thus the chance of SD corruption is dramatically minimized. I'm not sure I would gain anything by going with the all SSD setup now seeing how this is working.

I found a couple of videos on how to convert a 19" Phillips LCD tv I got in a trade with a neighbor to straight 12 volt operation. Looks pretty straightforward. Also for an HP 17" monitor. I'll see which one draws less power, but the Phillips has all the "TV" type stuff built in. Looking to convert one of those for full time use in the camper. EDIT: Surprisingly, the Phillips TV draws 55 watts at 120v, while the HP draws 130 watts at 120v. Got to figure a good bit of both of those numbers are the transformers and bridges that convert the 120 ac to 12 dc. More to come on this.

I'll now build a small box to hold the entire computer/media system with fan. This gives me exactly what I wanted, assuming it continues to work properly. A very small footprint, fast, stable computer, that can be easily moved from house to camper to van and uses very small amounts of power. The experiment continues, but for now, I'm impressed!

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:51 pm

I've had a great time playing with the Pi, and the Pi3 is a step above the others. I'm currently running two at home and carrying one with me in my bat-bag. All three are running BerryBoot with three partitions, one for Kodi media center, one for RetroPie to play the old arcade goodies and one with a fairly vanilla rasbian load that I can use to do network testing at work. Currently I'm using a wireless xbox controller with RetroPie, although someday I will probably dedicate a Pi to that platform and build a full sized arcade cabinet for it.

For Kodi, I've been converting all of our movies to .mp4's and storing them on a network drive. The Pi's pull them over wifi and the only thing required at the television is an additional power socket for the Pi and an HDMI cable. I've had hiccups with playback, but they are rare and usually mean it's time to restart the Pi in question.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Well I got Slackware to install I think but on reboot it went back to the installer. Guess I need to look closer at the Rapsberry PI boot process.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Well I got it booting slacware but the kb and mouse don't work in xwindows. So back to raspbian for now.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:44 pm

I got this
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/meet-314gb-pidrive/
with raspberian, running a litecoin wallet and a p2pool, mining solo with a gridseed..haven't made a dime, but it was fun getting it to work with 4 year old web pages
:?
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Raspberry Pi is not ready for the desktop.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... r-desktop/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike B » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:33 am

mikeschn wrote:Raspberry Pi is not ready for the desktop.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... r-desktop/

Mike...

Well, I might dispute that. I built a Pi-Top, which is a laptop computer with a Raspberry Pi 3 in its heart. Works just fine. My other Raspberry Pi (B+) is controlling my 3D printer at the moment. These little computers come in very handy at times.
8)
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 am

Lol! I just picked up a tinker board. Hope to play with it soon!

https://www.asus.com/Single-Board-Compu ... ker-Board/

How do you like your pi top? Is it the 13" one? Got any photos of yours so we can see how it turned out?

Mike...

Update: I installed Debian LXDE on the tinkerboard this morning, and it's running great so far. I'm surfing much faster than I ever could with the Pi. This SBC could become a desktop computer, and replace a system costing hundreds of dollars! :shocked:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:25 am

why does a tinker board look exactly like a pi3?
:shock:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby EZDog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Jiminsav wrote:why does a tinker board look exactly like a pi3?
:shock:

So it will fit pi cases and other stuff!
I grabbed one last week too but have not had time for it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I built mine into a media server for my Teardrop
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Fly,

A Pi or a Tinkerboard?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby flyguide » Mon May 01, 2017 6:38 am

A Pi used 2 128G USB drives for movie and music storage. HDMI out to tv. HD.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic