Favorite Breed of Dog to Camp with

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Re: Favorite Breed of Dog to Camp with

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:56 pm

My favorite would be Manfred, of course! :-)
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby videographer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 am

Rescue a mutt. They'll love you for it.
videographer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camper Tushkeys » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Hands down for us is a dachshund..... Big dog in a lap dog size body.
Just keep it moving.....
Camper Tushkeys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 pm

Cora-Bunga! :R

English Chocolate Lab. :FNP :pictures: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 pm

ae6black wrote:Right now i am leaning towards a brittany Spaniel. Does anybody have any experience with this bread in the close confines of a TD?

Art

Actually just found a liter of Brittanies not to far from home. I am hoping to pick him up for my first camping trip of the season, the first week of Pa trout season. Thank every body for your replies. I just hope a 4 ft wide rd accommodates both of us.
Wanna Be wrote:For me now it's a border collie lab mix.
Don't bark much ( till needed )
Smart And very loving.

Wanna Be

;) ;)

mikerueve wrote:We love ours. Cairn Terriers. They love all of the camp action, don't shed, and take up very little space in our 5-wide.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Would if I could...bring a dog with me to camp. I have eight dogs to choose from:
  • Chloe, 5 years old, a 5 lb DORKY (half yorkie/miniature long-haired dachshund)
  • Scooter,15+ years?, a 15 lb SILKY TERRIER
  • Hank, 9 years, a 110 lb MIXED BREED (mastiff/hound?)
  • Bella, 6 years, a 80 lb BOXER
  • Sadie, 12 years, a 55 lb MIXED BREED (border collie with?)
  • Emma, 13 years, a 100 lb LAB/CHOW MIX
  • Bentley, 10 years, a 4 lb CHIHUAHUA,
  • BoBo, 11 years, a 10 lb MINIATURE LONG-HAIRED DACHSHUND.
Unfortunately, I can't do it. My personal dog is Chloe (Itty-Bitty) the Dorky (actually, I'm her personal human), who grieves when I'm away for a minute, but is hyper-sensitive to unknown sounds, and yaps until I can re-assure her (she also gets motion-sickness). She would wake everyone in camp at night. She's out. Bentley and BoBo, are also alert yappers;they're out, too. Scooter is more sedate, much older (age not known), but bosses everyone around, dogs and strangers and me. He'd miss his 'momma too. He's out. Bella is a very sensitive soul, with three feet, so she tries to overcompensate with barking more than the other dogs, and sometimes is aggressive to them (ornot, it depends on her moods). She's also afraid of everything new, and nature's forces, like wind, rain, frogs jumping, etc. She's out. Emma is mean, to everybody but us, though she is toothless. She's out. And poor Sadie, who was thrown out of a moving car as a puppy; I found her, with hardly any skin on her body, and with two broken legs, maggot-covered and dying, but I nursed her back to health over a period of six months (and 72 hours spent with her at the vets'). She's starting to fail now (the vet said she probably would have a shorter life, due to her unfortunate start). She needs to stay at home with one of us. Lastly, Hank is calm, agreeable, friendly to strangers (I brought him home from work, where he had been staying in the parking lot for two weeks, begging for food). I tried to get others to take him, but I alone, with 9 dogs at home at the time, was the only one that would. He is so glad to be here, he won't ever walk out of the yard. I have to carry him to the car, to go to the vets'. He doesn't particularly like dogs outside my dogpack (he had many old wounds when I saved him; vet says he thought he had been fought) So, I don't have any dogs I could take camping.My top three choices:
dogs to travel with.png
dogs to travel with.png (549.92 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 pm

ae6black wrote:Right now i am leaning towards a brittany Spaniel. Does anybody have any experience with this bread in the close confines of a TD?
...Actually just found a liter of Brittanies not to far from home. I am hoping to pick him up for my first camping trip of the season, the first week of Pa trout season. Thank every body for your replies. I just hope a 4 ft wide rd accommodates both of us.
Art

I camp with my French Brittany Spaniel, a great companion. He is very laid back and loves the tiny trailer. ...Hated tents...would growl and do a quiet half-bark all night long in the tent. But, he feels secure and doesn't do that in the trailer. Oh!...He takes up two thirds of the bed and I get the rest. :lol: (Shown on the upper part of the bed. The bottom part (where the legs go) of the bed pulls apart and tucks away.)

One of my neighbors had a Brittany that didn't like other dogs. I don't know how common that is.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ssrjim » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:51 pm

We have a new friend coming to live with and camp with us.
He's telling me camping sounds fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:39 am

Ae6, you and your Brittany should have plenty of room. My Lance (100lbs) and I camp in a 4 wide Little Guy
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby ssrjim » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:10 pm

ssrjim wrote:We have a new friend coming to live with and camp with us.
He's telling me camping sounds fun.

New puppy comes home tomorrow.Image

ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kaz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Breed is not important. Rescue dogs are the best.129771 :D
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Kaz wrote:Breed is not important. Rescue dogs are the best.129771 :D
  • My wife and I have soft hearts for critters, because they give unconditional love. Once you take in a stray dog (cats, not so much), you're their friend for life. Over our 24 year marriage, we've had 1 field mouse (rescued from our head cat's mouth), 2 hamsters (they belonged to our dog Annie, who would sit and watch them for hours), 2 pygmy goats (my wife bought them at a flea market),3 birds (including the cockatiel who flew into our yard, and landed on my wife's shoulder),13 cats (12 of whom were strays, turning up at our house), and 16 dogs (one was my wife's since high school, three were rescued from my wife's pet-crazy niece, one was a gift to my wife, the remainder were rescues).
  • Earlier, in this thread, I listed the eight dogs we have now, and why I couldn't bring any camping with me. I listed them by name and breed, but I'll give details of how they came to us:
    Chloe, 5 years old, a 5 lb DORKY (half yorkie/miniature long-haired dachshund)(given to my wife to be a personal companion-but prefers me to my wife)
    Scooter, 15+ years?, a 15 lb SILKY TERRIER (found wandering the streets, with two crippled legs-from birth-covered with matted fur)
    Hank, 9 years, a 110 lb MIXED BREED (mastiff/hound?)(he was a stray, hanging around my work parking lot, begging for food; covered with cuts, I took him home on a cold NY Eve)
    Bella, 6 years, a 80 lb BOXER (some breeders accidently cut off one of her hind feet, closing a door; not saleable, they were going to put the 6 week-old pup down, but we heard about it, and brought her home)
    Sadie, 12 years, a 55 lb MIXED BREED (border collie with?) (poor Sadie, who I spotted lying in a clump of weeds by the country road, with two broken legs, fur half peeled away -somebody tossed her from a moving car-covered with maggots eating into her stomach; I rushed her to the vet, and spent months nursing her to health-the vet called her the Miracle Pup)
    Emma, 13 years, a 100 lb LAB/CHOW MIX (came from my wife's cousin, who was just going to dump her in the woods-at 4 weeks old)
    Bentley, 10 years, a 4 lb CHIHUAHUA (one of my wife's nieces many pets, neglected mostly, picked on by a PitBull, until we took him home)
    BoBo, 11 years, a 10 lb MINIATURE LONG-HAIRED DACHSHUND (belonged to a couple my wife knows; the husband didn't like him, so he was going to drop him off at the ranch, as coyote-bait)
  • Yep, rescue(d) dogs are the best!
Last edited by working on it on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby frosty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:21 pm

videographer wrote:Rescue a mutt. They'll love you for it.

Best answer ever !! :D

:thumbsup:
frosty
Teardrop Builder

Postby dguff » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 am

Karelian bear dog.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member