Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off

Postby Dave Gray » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:30 am

rockinrobin wrote:I have had my A&P for 46 years, IA for 41. Still working, running a small 3 man shop in the Texas Panhandle. Have owned, and restored several planes. Currently flying a Piper Super Cruiser that my Son and I restored. Been to Oshkosh six or seven times. Flew in there and camped out every time. Twice in a J3 cub. Still enjoy flying. But, tinkering with teardrop trailers, and taking my trailer on trips is a very welcome distraction from work now. Ronnie :vroom:

Hi Ronnie, I've been to Oshkosh six or seven tines and camped there, but I have never flown in. Bucket list.

The problem with flying there is you can't always stay as long as you would like because of the weather and your airplane is at the mercy of Mother Nature.
Last edited by Dave Gray on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 am

Dave Gray wrote:
KingAirNeal wrote:Late to the party here, digging up a slumbering thread. Been working on, flying, and restoring airplanes for 29 years. I now fly the Yellow Airbus for a low cost major airline. And doing the hotel thing so much while working, helped drive me to build our off road tiny trailer. Latest restoration I did was a '46 Aeronca Champ. I have wrenched on everything from Cubs to King Airs. We have done the sailboat restoration thing too. Loving the trailer build to be quite honest. LMAO. Started flying at 12 years old, got 24 more years until the airlines put me out to pasture permanently.

Hi Neal, I like cloud streets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too! Especially when Im in a sailplane!

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:32 am

I've posted this picture before of my buddy's Harmon Rocket. He is a regular at Oshkosh. I am not a pilot but love to go up and play with him every now and then in this high performance aircraft. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ImageImage
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Dave Gray wrote:
rockinrobin wrote:I have had my A&P for 46 years, IA for 41. Still working, running a small 3 man shop in the Texas Panhandle. Have owned, and restored several planes. Currently flying a Piper Super Cruiser that my Son and I restored. Been to Oshkosh six or seven times. Flew in there and camped out every time. Twice in a J3 cub. Still enjoy flying. But, tinkering with teardrop trailers, and taking my trailer on trips is a very welcome distraction from work now. Ronnie :vroom:

Hi Ronnie, I've been to Oshkosh six or seven tines and camped there, but I have never flown in. Bucket list.

The problem with flying there is you can't always stay as long as you would like because of the weather and your airplane is at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Very true, been through a very scary storm there once, and arrived there one time right behind a storm that resulted in a few planes being trailered out. In my old age now, I will not fly much of anywhere without a good weather forecast.
Flew down to the Reklaw TX flyin / camp out in October. Perfect weather for four days! Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby friz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Another enthusiast here. I have been involved in aviation most of my life. I hold a private pilot and A&P certificates. I worked in aviation for almost 20 years. I was a founding member and past president of EAA Chapter 1134. My interests have shifted to model aviation due to the high cost of full scale aviation and having 2 kids that need an education more then I need a Pitts Special. I like to dabble in 3d planes and helis. I have messed a little in FPV but find it less inspiring. I no longer work in aviation. My wife has a short umbilical cord an long work commutes were taking their tolls, so I got a bike shop gig riding distance from my house. Keeping the riding community active in my small town takes a lot of my free time these days so even the model airplanes spend most of their time on the shelf. Hopefully I will run into some of you at a gathering and we can talk shop.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Well a friend of mine and I were developing a plan to go to Oshkosh next year but won't be happening. He passed away when his tailwind crashed just after takeoff right before thanksgiving in Pearland. He was a good and anal retentive about everything. NTSB investigation wasn't impressive was more like a minor car crash investigation. Haven't heard anything from the insurance company on their investigation.

Anyway maybe LOML and I will make the trip. She is a flight attendant and very interested in planes in fact I need to build her a new computer for flight simulator so it can run more screens....

Nice to see the number of aircraft bugs here. I started on my licence years ago but never finished it as other stuff got in the way. Hope to get back into rc planes. I have most of the parts cut for a Ziroli zero and corsair both around 85" wingspan. The fuse for the zero is assembled and about 4' long. Will have to wait till after we move to get it finished.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Elcam84, sorry for the loss of your friend. My father is an experimental aircraft builder. On his second plane at 75yo. Or, 4th if you count the Cessna 170A we rebuilt, and a Luscombe when I was very young. They are a dying breed! I will not follow as the cost is way too high. My dad and I flew into the Oshkosh fly inn back in around 1973 in that Luscombe. I have an interest in RC arcft, but haven't acted on it. I want build it, and fly it!! Not many kits out there anymore!! That takes the fun out of it for me! Again for your loss!!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby elcam84 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks he was a good guy.

I built a few kits then went to scratch building from plans. The ones I am building are from ziroligiantscaleplans.com. Mine are older versions of the current ones though. I wish I had the cad files for them though as it'd be easier to cut them on a cnc...

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 am

elcam84 wrote:Thanks he was a good guy.

I built a few kits then went to scratch building from plans. The ones I am building are from ziroligiantscaleplans.com. Mine are older versions of the current ones though. I wish I had the cad files for them though as it'd be easier to cut them on a cnc...

Check out my buddies laser cutting business. He cuts ZIROLI kits.

www.lasercutusa.com. Pat Fallacaro is his name. Super cool guy.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Maybe a gathering at OSH is in order. I have worked it many times, but have yet to go as a visitor.

BTW, We got weathered in one time and there appeared to be a model airplane event the following week.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 pm

friz wrote:Maybe a gathering at OSH is in order. I have worked it many times, but have yet to go as a visitor.

BTW, We got weathered in one time and there appeared to be a model airplane event the following week.

I plan on it in a couple more years. I plan to take the trailer too.

My hopes are to scratch build a Clipped Wing Cub with 115hp Lycoming.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 pm

KingAirNeal wrote:
friz wrote:Maybe a gathering at OSH is in order. I have worked it many times, but have yet to go as a visitor.

My airshow ride was a RANS Coyote with the no longer available 116 wing and 80hp. The only time I ever wanted more wing was getting the thing off the ground at high altitude. I would love to try a clipped cub.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:51 pm

friz wrote:
KingAirNeal wrote:

My airshow ride was a RANS Coyote with the no longer available 116 wing and 80hp. The only time I ever wanted more wing was getting the thing off the ground at high altitude. I would love to try a clipped cub.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk

Ive done a normal Cub with 75hp, and an 85hp Champ. I wanted an RV-14, but realized I would probably never really travel in it much. I travel in airplanes for a living, and I dont want to travel by plane on days off. I just want to go putt putt round the sky and do the occasional loop, roll and spin. Gentleman's Acro. I would love to do an Eagle, but they are pricey and I wouldn't use the airplane to its fullest. The 450 stearman i flew was fun, but expensive to fly too. So, I figured a nice Clipped wing Cub, all new, experimental, with an 0-200 or 0-235 in it would be fun.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby Cary Winch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 am

Hey, this is a neat thread. I myself am pretty into aviation. Short history on Camp Inn trailers, we built our trailers in a aircraft hangar for years until outgrowing it and building our current factory building. I now have that hangar filling in with planes. Current planes are a Bakeng Duce and a '52 170B. There is also a project Duce kicking around in there too. The Duce has an interesting history, it is the original Duce built by Gerry Bakeng. The 170B was a nice estate sale find. Low time plane but in need of lots of love. Been only flying that for about a year now, just had it's second annual since I owned it this weekend. Kind of a restore it while flying it project. Needs paint and interior right now, working on the paint aspect of it now.

My father has a private strip and is into Tri-Pacers. Flys a really nice 160hp one from there currently. Makes it easy to go visit him with the 170. So, I grew up with aviation. Got my license in '87. Been going to Oshkosh sine about '81. Belong to two EAA chapters and am vice president of the local chapter. Helping the local chapter build a Tailwind right now, fun project.

In the past I have also owned a Pietenpohl Air Camper and a Cessna 140.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Nothing like a tail dragger! Unless it has a radial too!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic