Victory is mine!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Victory is mine!

Postby Thelgord » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Ok, the title is a bit melodramatic, but for me, today was a good day.

After breaking a ratchet, a breaker bar, and generally loosing to a two stubborn leaf spring bolts that had been rusted in place I was as my wits end. So the trailer project sat for a couple of months while I stewed over how to get these bolts out without drilling them out. That was something I just wasn't looking forward to. Even my little air-powered impact wrench couldn't budge it. Granted, it's not really for heavy duty work, but it is what I had.

I got a new electric impact wrench from harbor freight for $35 with a coupon and some deep well impact sockets to go with it (20% off coupon for those). Tried it out this morning and ... nothing. Lots of metal bits coming off the bolt head and was about it. I was starting to worry that I was going to strip the bolt. So I looked on this website for some tips. Can't remember the thread, but someone else had used a torch to heat a spring hanger for five minutes before trying. So I got out my little propane torch and set it up to point at the spring hanger. Just standing the bottle on the pavement, and with the height I have the frame sitting on blocks worked perfectly. So I lit it up, put it in place and waited. Longest five minutes Have had in a very long time. When five minutes was up, and a bit of smoke coming from the bolt that I assume was from the fiberglass sleeve, I tried again. It worked! Spun the bolt right out. I did the same thing to the other side and it came off just as easy.

I know it's only a small victory, but i'll take it. Now I can get the new leaf pack ordered and start putting this thing back together.
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Re: Victory is mine!

Postby edgeau » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Good one. I'll celebrate your victory with you. Shows the value of this site, lots of shared experience and learning.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby RonS » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Was an easy one, if you got it out with a propane torch. The real stubborn ones take oxy-acetylene. :)

A garage I used to work at, the "blue tipped wrench" and an air hammer/chisel were among the favorite tools they had.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:03 pm

I've cheated and used toilet bowl cleaner to eat the rust. Then used break away or Trans fluid and acetone to lube. If that failed I'd bring out the cutting torch, grinder or saws-all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Thelgord » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Padilen wrote:I've cheated and used toilet bowl cleaner to eat the rust. Then used break away or Trans fluid and acetone to lube. If that failed I'd bring out the cutting torch, grinder or saws-all.

Damn that sounds like a lot of work! LOL!
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 pm

If you only knew

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 pm

After heating we always touched wax to the threads.
The heat sucks it into the joint.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Any bloody-knuckled tale is worth telling!

:frightened: :thumbsup:

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:10 am

pchast wrote:After heating we always touched wax to the threads.
The heat sucks it into the joint.

Good idea!

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby PanelDeland » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Just for future reference PB Blaster, Kroil (if you can find it) or a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid are all great penetrating oils. The original formula for WD40 is Water Displacement formula 40. I haven't tried the new WD40 penetrating oil because I know the others work.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets