Northern Tool vs. Flex Ride

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tool vs. Flex Ride

Postby rkanz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

I am starting a build, and will either use an aluminum NT trailer or directly bolt Flex Ride half axles to a torsion box floor. I have a HF folding trailer that bounces, even with several hundred pounds of weight. I am concerned with a light weight build the NT trailer will bounce with the leaf springs. In addition the general quality of the trailers is not the best. I am considering just bolting Flex Ride axles directly to the torsion box floor. I like these because of the height adjustability. This cost will be similar for both, but I assume the bearings will be better in the Flex Ride hubs, and I can purchase radial tires.

Any thoughts?

Russ
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Northern Tool vs. Flex Ride

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Help someone that doesn't quite understand. By "directly bolt Flex Ride half axles to a torsion box floor" do you mean bolt to wood framed floor? And can you get that registered where you live? I have a feeling it would fail Illinois inspection for a home built.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Northern Tool vs. Flex Ride

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:02 pm

My tear was built using a NT 5x8 no floor landscape trailer. It rides very smooth, weighs 1060lbs. I did the tongue mod, adding diagonals from behind the receiver back to, and welded to each leaf spring mount. The floor and walls sandwich the sides of the frame. It is one unit now. Very strong. Back to Flex ride independent axels bolted to a wood floor. Great idea, don't know anything about this, but it better be very strong. That's alot of stress on lumber. I'll be watching for what you come up with.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets