Painting Thermo-Ply Sheathing?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Painting Thermo-Ply Sheathing?

Postby eng1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I have a stack of Ox Engineering Thermo-Ply sheathing I have left over from building an ice fishing house last year. I realize the limitations of the material. I am only looking for ultra light weight, and it doesn't have to last forever. Anyway: The stuff is great but kind of ugly. I've tested standard interior/exterior paints from home depot and nothing really sticks to the stuff. It's a real slick waterproof coating over essentially cardboard. I was thinking the Rustoleum Enamel that you brush on (the stuff made for tractors)? I'll leave it the weird off white before I spray paint it. Do you guys have any go to's for this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Chase

Link to the material, I'm no way affiliated and honestly think it'd be kind of silly to actually build a house out of:
http://oxengineeredproducts.com/thermo- ... sheathing/
eng1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Painting Thermo-Ply Sheathing?

Postby Greg M » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:48 pm

I wonder if one of the plastic fusion paints would work?
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Painting Thermo-Ply Sheathing?

Postby Gator417 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:03 am

If you haven't done this aready, or are still looking for a solution, you might try hitting it with a medium grit sandpaper (120ish) before painting. Also, look for an epoxy based paint, like the Krylon Fusion paint already mentioned. Not as pretty as nicer paint, but it sticks a lot better.
Good luck,
Gator
"Aluminum skinning is to cover rotting prone crappy plywood"
linuxmanxxx
Gator417
Teardrop Builder

Return to Skinning secrets