PD4135 fuse question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: PD4135 fuse question

Postby Padilen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm not sure if your's is like my PD4045, or not. But on mine the 2 red wires are for larger fuses up to 30's and the black wires are smaller up to 20's.
My wires were also marked for which fuse they connect to.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rflowers82 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 pm

All I know, is according to my wiring diagram (which someone else posted above earlier) the 2 outer wires RED & WHITE are connections from the battery..? That would mean the extra red wire is for a larger fuse as you stated

I'm also assuming the (WHITE) BATTERY/CHASSIS GND wire will be connected (wire cap) to the metal ground wire in the coach? I thought it would go to a negative insulated wire, but all I see is a bare metal wire that is attached to my current converter grounding bar. Does any of this sound correct?

Thanks,
Ryan
rflowers82
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Well I read the link and that's how I also assume it means but I'm no expert. Hopefully others will pitch in. I'll see if I can send help your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:49 pm

What is the specific question? I a not following this well?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby willyr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Just got a pd4135 trying to finish up the wiring using the pd diagram here https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-conte ... manual.pdf . probably an obvious question but bear with :D What am I supposed to do with the wire labeled 'CONVERTER HOT (BLACK)' in the diagram? Appreciate any info thanks.
willyr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dano-Mich » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:50 am

willyr wrote:Just got a pd4135 trying to finish up the wiring using the pd diagram here https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-conte ... manual.pdf . probably an obvious question but bear with :D What am I supposed to do with the wire labeled 'CONVERTER HOT (BLACK)' in the diagram? Appreciate any info thanks.

That goes to a 120v circuit breaker. I wired mine into a 15amp breaker. So first breaker slot is a 30amp for hot coming in. I used second slot for 15amp converter hot, then used the third slot for a another breaker supplying power to outlets.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:35 pm

PD4135 Wiring-sm.jpg
PD4135 Wiring-sm.jpg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Snowman53 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:30 pm

I am in the middle of installing the PD4135 and have a similar question. I installed a small project box above the back of the PD4135 cabinet to route and connect the 12 VDC wiring. I installed a ground bus bar to connect all of the ground wires from each circuit, converter, and battery. I also installed a terminal block to make it easier to connect the wires from the converter to the TD circuits. I attached the positive (10ga Red) wire from the battery to the terminal opposite the positive wire (10ga Red) running from the 12VDC side of the converter. As has been discussed earlier, there is another 8ga red wire coming from the 12VDC side of the converter that is connected to a fuse block containing a 40amp fuse. This fuse is described as the "Reverse Battery Protection Circuit" which blows in the event that polarity is switched on the battery leads. My question is, what do I connect this wire to on my terminal block? Do I run a jumper wire to the positive battery lead? I have attached a photo of my setup. The terminal block is on the right of the small project box. The bottom pair of terminals contain the positive lead from the battery coming in from the left and the positive battery lead going to the converter on the right. I have placed the "Reverse Battery Protection Circuit" lead on the top right terminal. As stated before, what attaches to it?
Attachments
20190308_170513.jpg
20190308_170513.jpg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 8643 times
Snowman53
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rhinoman64 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am

I'm not positive I'm following your question correctly, but here's my answer based on my interpretation. The red wire furthest to the right should be connected to your battery positive. It is position 1 on the fuse panel and has the 40 amp fuse. The second red wire (position 2 on the fuse panel) is to allow one of your circuits to run higher amperage so it connects to whatever wiring circuit you want.

Are the green and black wires coming from the right in your picture the wires from your converter? If so, I think you need to redo that. The black wire is the hot from the converter and needs to be attached to a circuit breaker. The green wire should attach to the ground bus inside the unit (on bottom bus) and the white (neutral) wire should be attached to the bus on the left inside the unit. Mine were preinstalled there. There's no need to run those to the outside of the unit at all that I can determine and they shouldn't be attached to the DC circuits at all.

If I've misinterpreted your question or your wiring I apologize.
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Snowman53 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:57 pm

The green and black wires coming in from the right are unrelated. They are wires for a 20amp DC circuit running to the front of the trailer. It looks a little odd from the picture but they run into the flexible conduit with the yellow romex wire under the trailer to the front. I attached the black wire you are referring to (positive wire to supply power to the DC side of the converter) to a 20amp breaker on the AC side of the converter. As you said the green and white wires were already connected to their respective neutral and ground bus bars on the AC side of the converter. I think you answered my question. I have the positive lead coming from my battery (red wire coming in from the left) running to the bottom connector of my terminal block and the positive lead coming from the DC side of the converter (red wire coming in from the right) connected opposite. I guess I was confused by the extra 10ga red wire. I have it along with all of the other black wires from the DC side of the converter attached to the right side of the terminal block. I will attach positive leads from other DC circuits that I run to the left half of the terminal block and their respective ground wires to the DC ground bus on the left. Thanks for your reply. I think everything is clear now.
Snowman53
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rhinoman64 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Glad to be of help. I actually just installed mine this weekend as well so it was all fresh. As you, me and countless others have discovered the enclosed documentation with 4135 is sorely lacking. The random red wire has been a great source of confusion for a lot of us. I was sure thankful for all the info I found on this forum and elsewhere. I really doubt I could have built a teardrop pre-Internet days.
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Snowman53 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:58 am

You are right about that. I continue to do lots of research as I move into each phase of the build. I am in about a dozen different teardrop groups on facebook and am constantly coming up with new ideas or learning from other people's mistakes. I am having as much fun with this build as I anticipate I will with the actual camping. I would rather have the opportunity to be creative with it than to buy something pre-built.
Snowman53
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redlinesprint » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:55 pm

So the AC side makes sense to me but the DC side is confusing. I have a PD4045KV and all I see is what looks to be negative leads off the back on the DC side. Can some one explain to me how a circuit works on the DC side? Fan for example, I have a positive and negative wire run from the fan to where the PD4045 is but I don't know how to wire it up for a complete circuit. Where does the positive go and where does the negative go for all the DC circuits?

Thanks in advanced!
Redlinesprint
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 am

Redlinesprint wrote:So the AC side makes sense to me but the DC side is confusing. I have a PD4045KV and all I see is what looks to be negative leads off the back on the DC side. Can some one explain to me how a circuit works on the DC side? Fan for example, I have a positive and negative wire run from the fan to where the PD4045 is but I don't know how to wire it up for a complete circuit. Where does the positive go and where does the negative go for all the DC circuits?

Thanks in advanced!

The two heaviest gauge wires (red and black) get connected to your battery terminals. That heavy gauge black wire is the ONLY 12V 'negative' coming from the PD404. There should be two slightly thinner red wires, which are your 12V+ 30A max circuits. All the remaining 'thin' black wires are the 12V+ 20A max individual circuits. The ground wires (negative) from your individual components need to be tied back to the negative terminal on the battery. Most people prefer to use a ground terminal block and then run heavy gauge wire from that to the negative terminal on the battery. Hope this helps.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets