Billboard Vinyl

Finishes, paints and coatings

Billboard Vinyl

Postby sukig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 am

Has anyone considered using repurposed billboard vinyl for exterior skin?

Can you toss out considerations for this material? It is waterproof, UV protected, tear resistant, mildew resistant and inexpensive.
sukig
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Billboard Vinyl

Postby gizmotron » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 am

I'm actually considering it. You weld it together with a contact cement, HH-66. You can roll it around corners so that you don't need trim. The HH-66 will melt foam. But you can apply vinyl trim over already installed vinyl. My guess is that you could use 10 oz on top of plywood, or 18, 22, or 40 oz over foam. The trick will be in finding the right glue to install it with. My guess is that TiteBond III would be the best.

http://www.mytarp.com/vinyl-fabrics.aspx

I could see gluing vinyl coated polyester over foam. It would only take one coat and you would not have to paint it. My covered wagon used it. It truly stands up to the sun and the weather. It's easy to work with.
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JaggedEdges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 am

Knowing a little about the production of plastic films, it's hard/expensive to produce a film with absolutely no voids/pinholes and hard/expensive to detect them in production. This is why GOOD pool liner, foundation water barrier etc is not all that cheap. So we might worry that a material cheaper than those, not explicitly designed for waterproofing, although generally pretty water resistant, may not have had so much care and attention in production to ensure lack of voids and pinholes...

However, for small scale use, careful inspection of each piece used and marking/sealing of any pinholes may be viable.

... and yah before we get the smerterse, hard/expensive is relative, it's that beancounter, save a cent per square foot kinda thing.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby gizmotron » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am

I used 25 yards of 18oz vinyl coated polyester and had no leaks. It was out in the sun and weather for more than 2 1/2 years with no trouble becoming brittle. The HH-66 welds stayed solid too. If you get different colors you can make a really wild graphic scheme with it.
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sukig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I contacted my local billboard companies and can get used pieces for as little as $20 for 14'x48'.

In doing some research before calling my local folks, I found an online supplier. They use these for pond liners regularly. This stuff is pretty thick and "heavy". I'm hopeful that finding a waterproof section without pinholes would be rather easy. But, the pieces are large enough and cheap enough to let me check them thoroughly and find a good section. These are 3 ply and weigh about 14 oz/sq yard.

Thanks for the bonding info, that's my biggest concern is which kind of glue/contact cement/whatever to use to adhere it.

I'm cautious of false economy of savings (when things wind up costing more in the long run)... so, any other pitfalls?
sukig
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sukig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Here is a link to the online supplier I found. However, there are enough local area board companies willing to sell me some that I will likely source it locally.

https://www.billboardvinyls.com/
sukig
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:22 pm

As an alternative to PMF, I think it sounds like a good idea. Fine for someone who wants to build a camper on the cheap, use it a few times a year, things like that. Plus, it can be patch-repaired with the right adhesive or plastic welder, both things within grasp of Joe Homeowner.

But as a permanent "industrial grade" 20-year exterior coating? :NC Direct sunlight will bake just about any plastic. I think the recommended "lifespan" of an exterior vinyl banner left outside 24/7 is 1-3 years. RV and commercial roof manufacturers have been struggling for years to develop EPDM, PVC and TPO - both plastic - membranes that can survive the rigors of RV use and long-term storage. Plus, don't most plastics expand a good deal with heat? That might mean some sagging of the skin during summer, or some fracturing of the adhesive during winter. I think EPDM roofs need to be periodically serviced because the seams widen since the EPDM is always shrinking/growing.

Again, I think it's a great DIY idea! I would just design the exterior so as you can easily replace it when the plastic reaches the end of its life. Just imagine if a tree branch gashes an entire side! I'd hate to remove that with a "permanent" adhesive.

Let us know what you find out about the best adhesive. 3M, of course, will probably have something ...
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Just an FYI, found a local small portable building manufacturer selling off pieces of rubber roofing membrane, offcuts, was kinda tempted by those. Henry Ford special though, any colour you like as long as it's black.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets