Potential hybrid tear tugger, Kia Niro...

All about towing and tow vehicles

Potential hybrid tear tugger, Kia Niro...

Postby JaggedEdges » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 am

Hi folks,

Just hearing about this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Niro

Seems to have darn good MPG and utility for a daily driver...

And! They're supposed to be giving it a tow rating/package, 1300kg (2860lb)

http://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/13-ki ... n-tow.html

That's a pretty useful tow rating for tears and small standies, be interesting to see what the plugin package is too, if it's a 2 way inverter, that would be superfreakingawesomeOMG few kWh of battery at the campsite, shut up and take my money.

Well, realistically there's probably 2/3 of our vehicle upgrade cycle still to go, but might be tryna talk my wife into getting one for her vehicle in a couple of years.

I had thought I was gonna race to the Chrysler dealer for a Pacifica hybrid as soon as I have a large windfall, but now there's choice.... still want it, just question of which to get first LOL.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Re: Potential hybrid tear tugger, Kia Niro...

Postby rivernstream » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 pm

This certainly caught my eye though I can't seem to find KIA actually publishing this on their site. BUt while looking it turns out that Toyota has finally rated the PRIUS for towing up to 1600 lbs. beginning with the 2016 model. http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/02/toyo ... -official/ and my understanding is that Teslas Model 3 will be able to tow....if it is ever built.
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Re: Potential hybrid tear tugger, Kia Niro...

Postby JaggedEdges » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Yah, I might have given the Prius V a closer look a couple of years back if it had any rating at all.

I was actually chasing Escape Hybrids for a while, they have 1000lb rating... what was supposed to be the limit on that vs the 3000lb in conventional powered ones was that reverse gear was all electric. So I think you'd have been okay with a bit more if you planned very carefully and were prepared to manhandle trailer when necessary.

There is of course the Highlanders with 3000lb, but their mileage isn't that spectacular, ditto the old Vue, and the Subaru, just discontinued, had marginal rating in the non-hybrid and none at all on the hybrid, and seemed to give only highlander gas mileage in a compact wagon package... not terribly appealing unless you're a diehard subie fan, which is I guess why it's gone now.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles