Home Built Designs and Original TD Gathering Sept 21-24 2017

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Home Built Designs and Original TD Gathering Sept 21-24 2017

Postby irgod32 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 pm

The Home Built Designs and Original Teardrop Trailer Gathering is scheduled for September 21-24, 2017 in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park near Santa Cruz , California. Please make your reservations ASAP as they will be filling up quickly, Reservations. I'll be camping in space #50. Please come and camp with us! Camping reservations ($35/day) are available at ReserveAmerica.com. Please post to let me know that you're coming and what campsite number you have reserved.

Let's plan to have a pot luck Saturday evening. It's my first time organizing a gathering. I'm open to fun and helpful ideas. Please share them.

This gathering will be focusing on home built tiny trailers. The idea for this gathering is to see as many styles and ideas for small camping trailers. I have been to a few Teardrop trailer gatherings and although all the original TD had a special place in time. Home built trailers whether built like the original "Teardrop" shape to a modified TD style or a completely original shape/design have always caught my eye. Mostly because when someone takes pride in their build, they seem to be more likely to use their trailer.

Not that the classic cars that pull a Ben Roy or a Kit trailer don't use their trailer, it's just that these beautiful original trailers are too valuable to use them as a weekly camper. That being said, I'm hoping on a big showing of the original designs. Come see all our ideas in person and show what you've built and tell us your reasons for your design. I will be in space #50 with my most recent build which I have named GC8. An off road design that I have built in hopes to attract a younger generation. GC8 has all the ideas taken from the original TD concept but changed to fit a group of people who may want to go off the main road and find a river deep in the woods or up high on a mountain. :roll:

I'd like to thank everyone who has shown interest in this gathering and encouraging me to post this gathering. Remember all are welcome so even if you have an original million dollar Teardrop, by all means come show your beauty.

Take care and PM me any ideas you might have for this gathering.

Thank you
Last edited by irgod32 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am, edited 9 times in total.
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Re: Home Built Designs and Original TD Gathering

Postby Esteban » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:05 am

Links that may be helpful:
Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
reserveamerica.com/camping/henry-cowell-redwoods-sp - online reservations for Henry Cowell Redwoods SP - best to make yours ASAP before they sell out!
campsitephotos.com/campground/Henry-Cowell-Redwoods-State-Park - their campsite photos may help you choose a camping spot

Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park Camping Guide

Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park is in a pine and oak forest five miles from Santa Cruz. The Redwood Grove is a 5 minute drive or a short hike from the campground. The Park has a nature center, picnic area. The Park features 15 miles of hiking and riding trails through a variety of forested areas.

Henry Cowell State Park Campground has 113 single-family (mixed-used) campsites. Group camping is also available. The campground sits in a heavily wooded area of fir and oak trees. The campground has modern restrooms including flush toilets and showers. Each campsite has a table, food locker, fire ring and grill.

Google Images - henry cowell redwoods state park campsite photos
Google Maps of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park may help you plan your driving route and traveling distance
californiasbestcamping.com may be helpful to discover campgrounds and campsites to use on your way going to, or leaving from, Santa Cruz, California.

Last edited by Esteban on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Home Built Designs and Original TD Gathering Sept 21-24

Postby ELM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Sounds like a good outing. How many are going so far. I used to camp there as a kid a couple times a year. But that was 40 years ago.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 pm

I don't know how many are teardroppers; but, when Robert decided to hold this event, there were 53 trailer sites available. As of tonight, they are already down to 38 remaining for that weekend.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby irgod32 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:16 pm

ELM wrote:Sounds like a good outing. How many are going so far. I used to camp there as a kid a couple times a year. But that was 40 years ago.

I believe we have three tiny home built trailers coming. We still have 6 months until then and 38 spaces to fill so get your Reservations ASAP!

:thumbsup:
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 am

They are down to 28 sites available for trailers and it's only April! If you are vacillating, you may want to get off that fence in the next month or so....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KingAirNeal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Looking to book my site for the event. How many have committed so far? What area of the campground is everyone going to be in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Booked my site, but would like to get some feedback if this event is still going to happen.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

KingAirNeal wrote:Booked my site, but would like to get some feedback if this event is still going to happen.

Why wouldn't it happen? Those who have paid for a reservation will lose money if they cancel. Besides, Fall is one of the best times to camp on the coast. IRGod may be on a trip right now and unable to respond(?). Besides, some people keep their plans a secret until they get there. Just plan on coming and be surprised. :D

By the way, they are down to 23 available sites now.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:30 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
KingAirNeal wrote:Booked my site, but would like to get some feedback if this event is still going to happen.

Why wouldn't it happen? Those who have paid for a reservation will lose money if they cancel. Besides, Fall is one of the best times to camp on the coast. IRGod may be on a trip right now and unable to respond(?). Besides, some people keep their plans a secret until they get there. Just plan on coming and be surprised. :D

By the way, they are down to 23 available sites now.

Sounds good. Will be there. Was just hoping it wasn't cancelled due to lack of interest.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby K Lupo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi! I just registered for this event. I will be in Site #19. Looking forward to it! See you in September. (A song comes to mind.) ~ Karen L (2007 Homebuilt Woody)
K Lupo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby irgod32 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 pm

WOOOOHOOOO!!!
Looks like this is happening! I can't wait to see all the new ideas!

Keep Em coming people!

:lol: :thumbsup: :beer:
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 02, 2017 7:39 pm

:) I talked to a few more people, at the Shasta Lake Gathering, who didn't know about your gathering and were interested. If their schedules permit, they, too will sign up to come.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Esteban » Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Adding the Sept. 21-24 gathering to the Tear Jerkers Gathering Calendar would help get the word out more widely. Zach added it to the Tearjerkers calendar

Zach, who goes by the screen name absolutsnwbrdr here at tnttt maintains it. You could pm him with the information.

I posted gathering information in the Unofficial Camp Inn Forum and the Little Guy Forum to help increase attendance. retrofit who owns a Little Guy TD booked campsite #12
Last edited by Esteban on Thu May 04, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Thu May 04, 2017 7:27 am

Good morning guys. I just came across this thread. David here. Last week I past by the Shasta event and introduced myself and my wife to Lydia from the Jefferson state chapter. This seems like a kick! I'm going to change my schedule and try to be at your gathering. I just finished my build last week, and can't wait to show it to the world! I will try to post a picture of the ( somewhat) finished product. :thinking: 146313
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to South West