Aluminum diamond plate on painted plywood

Finishes, paints and coatings

Aluminum diamond plate on painted plywood

Postby daneyuleb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Finally got my diamond plate cut (mostly) and am ready to put it on and I'm getting cold feet. I know there's been a lot of discussion on best ways to attach aluminum to your entire td, but...I'm just putting pebble guard diamond plate along the bottom edge (about 9 inches on the sides, a foot or so on the front/back and hoping someone may have suggestions on the best way to attach...

My camper is painted plywood. I bought it mostly pre-built, so not entirely sure of the treatment done to said plywood, but it's holding up okay. I've read enough pros and cons about different methods of attaching a skin, but they seldom seem to address my specific case of just the bottom part on wood. These are just cut sections of diamond plate (16 gauge) by the way, no trim. (There's wood molding at the corners, so it butts up against those.)

Here's what I see as options for attaching... My worry of course is moisture--scared of it getting in, but more scared of it not getting out.

1. Stainless steels screws (with the holes siliconed, of course) every 6 inches or so around the edges. Nothing else. This wouldn't offer any protection from water getting in--but--it wouldn't hinder water getting out, either.
2. Screws WITH a line of caulk along the top inner edge and maybe the sides--preventing water from getting in from above, while not being a barrier for water getting out at the bottom.
3. Screws, and silicone around ALL inner edges. More waterproof, but will it trap moisture?
4. Screws and glue (like Liquid nails ). I've read a lot that this will breakdown over time, and not sure what it gives me over the screws. Also, won't be able to replace the plate without tearing up the plywood.

Or maybe some combination of the above (screws, glue and caulk at the edges? Is that overkill and a moisture trap?) Or something I'm not thinking of...

Here's a pic of one side ready to attach...
Attachments
camper_plate.jpg
camper_plate.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
daneyuleb
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Aluminum diamond plate on painted plywood

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I'd attache it with #8 pan-head stainless-steel screws. I'm assuming your sides are 1/2" or 3/4" plywood.

I'd seal the top and sides with a polyurethane sealant and leave the bottom unsealed. (Not a bead but just under the edge.)

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby daneyuleb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks! I think that's what I'll do then.

I have some DAP silicone I was going to use, but now I'm seeing polyurethane is probably the way to go... so back to Home Depot. Vulkem 116 Polyurethane Sealant sounds like a good option from what I'm seeing.
daneyuleb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:22 pm

daneyuleb wrote:Thanks! I think that's what I'll do then.

I have some DAP silicone I was going to use, but now I'm seeing polyurethane is probably the way to go... so back to Home Depot. Vulkem 116 Polyurethane Sealant sounds like a good option from what I'm seeing.

I've quit silicone. Once you've put it on a surface, it's tainted. Even silicone won't stick to it.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets